EN

EN
Total Posts:  21959
Joined  11-03-2007

20 December 2019 04:28

Moving past impeachment and looking toward the election, after last night’s debate I think a Biden-Klobuchar ticket is looking pretty good.  She is strong where he is weak (Midwest, female), and he has the executive and foreign experience she lacks.  I think they beat Trump.  Both did well last night.  They are not so far left that they will drive away voters.  Biden beats Trump in head-to-head polling, and Amy would only strengthen that.  She would mop the floor with Pence in the VP debate.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2937
Joined  19-01-2015

20 December 2019 05:19

Literally whatever isn’t Trump.

My dream is Warren/Yang, but while I’m at it I will also wish for a Unicorn that can undo Climate change.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3228
Joined  07-08-2011

20 December 2019 10:22

I feel for you guys. Really!  I do.

You are also faced with a field of manifestly lame presidential candidates.  Joe Biden keeps fumbling and doddering his way down the campaign trail and still finding himself as the current leader of the pack.  Despite flimsy efforts to dodge being investigated for the crimes for which Trump was impeached, still it wont be enough to save neither the Party nor Joe Biden.  It is all too obvious that Biden’s pathetic campaign efforts is less for running as a serious candidate, more to avoid prosecution for his international shakedown operations as Veep.  The others like Clinton, Bloomberg etc sense this like a great white sensing blood in the ocean.

I say look for some other lone ranger to jump in and re-energize the party to go against Trump in 2020. As it looks right now, the party is on suicide watch.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1406
Joined  01-11-2014

20 December 2019 11:06

Trump will not win the popular vote in 2020 — again. He has hit his maximum ceiling of voters at 40%. This number has not, and will not budge. 

This means 60% of the voting public do not support him. In fact, Trump is one of the most unpopular presidents of all time. Not good for King Donald.

Trump and his reelection strategy team have their hands full this election. They have to get a majority of voters in certain key states to order to win the electoral college advantage.

Unlike 2016, the press and various government watchdogs will be looking for underhanded and outside manipulation of voters via the internet this time around. If another version of Cambridge Analytica appears, or if Russian trolls and bots begin to bombard the internet in Trump’s favor (again), alarm bells will ring.  This will make Trump’s reelection harder this time.

Personally, I’m still betting on Bernie or Warren. We still have nearly a year to go before the election and people have yet to fully focus on the Democratic candidates.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2937
Joined  19-01-2015

20 December 2019 11:34

Both Christianity Today and The National Review have articles about Trump being rightfully impeached - he is losing support of his core. Maybe not much, but the cracks are there.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21959
Joined  11-03-2007

20 December 2019 19:09

Twissel - 20 December 2019 11:34 AM

Both Christianity Today and The National Review have articles about Trump being rightfully impeached - he is losing support of his core. Maybe not much, but the cracks are there.

Yep, I posted about this elsewhere.  Any Christian who actually cares about what Jesus taught cannot ignore this evil man.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15990
Joined  17-12-2006

20 December 2019 21:23

EN - 20 December 2019 04:28 AM

Moving past impeachment and looking toward the election, after last night’s debate I think a Biden-Klobuchar ticket is looking pretty good.  She is strong where he is weak (Midwest, female), and he has the executive and foreign experience she lacks.  I think they beat Trump.  Both did well last night.  They are not so far left that they will drive away voters.  Biden beats Trump in head-to-head polling, and Amy would only strengthen that.  She would mop the floor with Pence in the VP debate.

My take, too.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8907
Joined  20-02-2006

21 December 2019 10:11

Celal - 20 December 2019 10:22 AM

I feel for you guys. Really!  I do.

You are also faced with a field of manifestly lame presidential candidates.  Joe Biden keeps fumbling and doddering his way down the campaign trail and still finding himself as the current leader of the pack.  Despite flimsy efforts to dodge being investigated for the crimes for which Trump was impeached, still it wont be enough to save neither the Party nor Joe Biden.  It is all too obvious that Biden’s pathetic campaign efforts is less for running as a serious candidate, more to avoid prosecution for his international shakedown operations as Veep.  The others like Clinton, Bloomberg etc sense this like a great white sensing blood in the ocean.

I say look for some other lone ranger to jump in and re-energize the party to go against Trump in 2020. As it looks right now, the party is on suicide watch.

Once upon a time did you know what Trump was, or did you always admire him?  There’s a reason why your man is trying to vilify Biden.  I’ll go with EN’s OP.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/trumps-impeachment-and-impeachment-lite?

“There was a time, not so long ago, when Lindsey Graham recognized, and said publicly, that Trump was “unfit for office”—and when Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio, Susan Collins, Cory Gardner, and so many other Republicans in Congress recognized Trump for the moral vacuum that he is. Mick Mulvaney, Trump’s acting chief of staff, once called Trump “a terrible human being.” Rick Perry, his Secretary of Energy, saw him as a “barking carnival act” and deemed his candidacy “a cancer on conservatism.” Ted Cruz called him a “pathological liar” and “utterly immoral.” They used to care. But things have changed.

At the same time, nearly every loyalist who leaves the Trump White House—James Mattis, Gary Cohn, H. R. McMaster, John Kelly, Rex Tillerson, et al.—comes clean, on or off the record, about despising Trump. They describe in detail the President’s countless acts of duplicity and incompetence. Only fearful, humiliated ex-Trumpers in need of campaign support, such as Jeff Sessions, who is again running for the Senate in Alabama, abase themselves and speak of his virtue. Nikki Haley, who seems intent on being Trump’s successor (or perhaps Mike Pence’s replacement on the ticket), refers to Trump as “great to work with” and “truthful”; in 2016, she said that he was “everything a governor doesn’t want in a President.”

https://www.tpt.org/firing-line-with-margaret-hoover/video/adam-schiff-daubaa/

In this Firing Line interview, Adam Schiff presents a clear-eyed view of Trump and his tactics.

Here Schiff talks about why we need to be ready to deal swiftly with the support Trump will get from Russia in 2020.  Schiff points out that the video of Nancy Pelosi appearing to be drunk is grade-school trickery.  He explains why we need to be prepared for AI hacking like the world has never seen before - and make sure the social media giants are prepared to identify it quickly.  https://www.tpt.org/firing-line-with-margaret-hoover/video/adam-schiff-daubaa/

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9804
Joined  20-10-2006

22 December 2019 04:34

With Andrew and Dennis gone, I lay claim to the popcorn concession, and expect to make a killing during the next election.

My crystal ball is cloudy, but it does say that Trump’s best hope is to win re-election then die in office.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8907
Joined  20-02-2006

22 December 2019 11:22

If Trump wins in 2020, will 4 more years give him time to have the military eating out of his hand the way Republicans in Washington do now?  Would he have time to get more William Barr types installed as 4-star generals?

Republican congressmen and senators are clearly afraid of Trump’s 63 million voters.  These yes-men are convinced that If they don’t support Trump’s every divisive move, every act of self-aggrandizement, they will be voted out of office by their constituents and replaced by a Shawn Hannity type, a Bill Barr type, or a Kellyanne Conway type.

Again, will 4 more years give Trump time to get the military eating out of his hand?  What if he called off the 2024 election because he deemed the country too unstable, too divided to make a safe election possible?  Would he have enough generals under his thumb who were willing to enforce such a move?  Enough to start arresting ‘enemies of the people’?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/19/politics/us-military-white-nationalist-ndaa/index.html

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/self-aggrandizing