Failure to deliver the Articles of Impeachment

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9804
Joined  20-10-2006

22 December 2019 06:15

Pelosi refuses to deliver the House’s Articles of Impeachment to the Senate until McConnell states how he will run the trial.  I’m not sure how this gambit will work out, but when I reach into the cavity of a dead chicken and feel its guts for what the future holds, I sense that McConnell will say what Pelosi wants just so he can have the articles delivered, then change his mind and hold a sham trial anyway.  And the GOP will love him for it.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2936
Joined  19-01-2015

22 December 2019 08:30

actually, she has only floated the idea: as Congress is on hold over the holidays, she has to make no decision until mid-January or so.
Secondly, she can delay the start of the Trial by taking her time negotiating terms and selecting House Managers.
And thirdly, the degree to which Mitch is hitching his fate to Trump pulls him away from the rest of the Senate: having a brief fake trial might help Trump, but it will make it easier for Senators to lose their seats.
Getting rid of Trump could be a double-win for Republicans in the Senate, since they would no longer have to fear being primaried and hate-tweeted at, and could move somewhat to the middle: the MAGA-crowd won’t vote Democrat just to stick it to a Never-Trumper; they’ll just stay home.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7833
Joined  22-02-2014

22 December 2019 08:49

What motivates the voters who support these guys?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

22 December 2019 10:01

Twissel - 22 December 2019 08:30 AM

And thirdly, the degree to which Mitch is hitching his fate to Trump pulls him away from the rest of the Senate: having a brief fake trial might help Trump, but it will make it easier for Senators to lose their seats.

I disagree that senators will lose seats, based only on my gut.  Republicans do whatever the leadership tells them to do, even if it means marching off a cliff.  Rare is the Republican who goes against the party leadership and survives the next election.

Twissel - 22 December 2019 08:30 AM

Getting rid of Trump could be a double-win for Republicans in the Senate, since they would no longer have to fear being primaried and hate-tweeted at, and could move somewhat to the middle: the MAGA-crowd won’t vote Democrat just to stick it to a Never-Trumper; they’ll just stay home.

Which is the easiest for a Republican Congressman to make?  Vote to acquit, or vote against party leadership?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

28 December 2019 01:20

Can Moscow Mitch refuse to hold an impeachment trial on the grounds that this is an election year?  It worked for stopping Obama’s nominee to the Supreme Court.

Is there a time limit on holding an impeachment trial after the AOC are delivered?

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2936
Joined  19-01-2015

28 December 2019 04:30

Skipshot - 28 December 2019 01:20 AM

Can Moscow Mitch refuse to hold an impeachment trial on the grounds that this is an election year?  It worked for stopping Obama’s nominee to the Supreme Court.

Is there a time limit on holding an impeachment trial after the AOC are delivered?

He can make the argument.
Or he can just delay setting up rules and timelines. Trump could ask for the option to testify, so Mitch could set the trial to fit the President’s busy schedule between Campaign Rallies and Golf. After the election, Trump will have more time to spare ... Hopefully.