Joined  20-02-2006

25 December 2019 20:25

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2937
Joined  19-01-2015

25 December 2019 23:55

That is obvious.
Trump doesn’t have the memory or imagination to come up with anything that isn’t on his mind already.

Unfortunately, this can be a solid strategy, as it lessen the impact of him being accused.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8907
Joined  20-02-2006

26 December 2019 10:07

Twissel - 25 December 2019 11:55 PM

That is obvious.
Trump doesn’t have the memory or imagination to come up with anything that isn’t on his mind already.

Unfortunately, this can be a solid strategy, as it lessen the impact of him being accused.

Do you mean the way children are often forgiven for antisocial behavior, or ‘primitive’ behavior?  (In the sense that the psychologist in the OP link uses the word ‘primitive’).

In your opinion, is there anything Trump routinely does that his base doesn’t like? 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201609/the-psychology-behind-donald-trumps-unwavering-support

[ Edited: 26 December 2019 11:05 by unsmoked]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7833
Joined  22-02-2014

26 December 2019 19:10

It’s not surprising that trump projects ALL the frickin’ time.

What terrifies me is that so many people fall for it - sigh…

Twissel

Twissel
Joined  19-01-2015

26 December 2019 22:34

Trump supporters are in an Abusive Relationship with him: he hurts them all the time, but they will make any excuse for his behavior, claiming he is misunderstood or isn’t given a real chance.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7833
Joined  22-02-2014

27 December 2019 08:59

Twissel - 26 December 2019 10:34 PM

Trump supporters are in an Abusive Relationship with him: he hurts them all the time, but they will make any excuse for his behavior, claiming he is misunderstood or isn’t given a real chance.

That’s an interesting take! If you’re correct, then one scary implication of that is that there are SO MANY people who have been scarred by abusive relationships - argh.

BarfootSage

BarfootSage
Total Posts:  28
Joined  08-12-2019

27 December 2019 11:01

Why is it that a couple of years ago the NEWS about one of the Hotels that bought rights to his name (Trump Hotel) was losing so much money that they abandoned it and changed their name?  (while he first cam into office) and the headline was so quiet that it went almost unnoticed by mainstream. - as if asking to be ‘off the radar’??

Twissel

Twissel
Joined  19-01-2015

27 December 2019 22:27

Many, many properties have taken their : Trump’ sign off.
One reason Trump is so pissed at Trudeau is probably because some Hotels in Canada did.
And the nicest Trump Tower project is in Istanbul - draw your own conclusions.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3343
Joined  26-01-2010

30 December 2019 00:42

I think Trump fulfills the wishes of a large portion of his supporters, acting the way they wish they had the the gumption or the freedom to do. He also appeals to their wishful thinking, after arousing in them fears of change and otherness.

I don’t disagree with the psychological projection claim, but I can think of some reasons why it might not be accurate. If Trump is a true psychopath, rather than just an extreme narcissist, he may be consciously mimicking the projection to throw mud at his enemies. Real projection is unconscious, if I recall my psychoanalytic studies correctly. Pretending severe narcissism, which is classically a kind of neurosis, is preferable to being outed as a psychopath, because neuroses can be blamed on traumatic events in childhood and whatnot, and can arouse sympathies, whereas psychopaths are generally considered to be truly evil and totally in control of their actions.

[ Edited: 30 December 2019 00:54 by Poldano]