Total Posts:  2041
Joined  14-08-2008

09 January 2020 06:26
Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5310
Joined  28-05-2009

10 January 2020 22:42

It’s repugnant of course but I appreciate how blunt it is. Previous Presidents courted the evangelical dominionist faction without ever really committing. Obama tried to make nice with all sorts of religious and secular factions with some success but there is something to be said for a decisive flag planted on one side of an ideological divide, unapologetically. Even when its a side as manifestly insane as this one.

The potential upside is that it will hopefully provoke a moment of self reflection. People who agree with Trump on some limited array of issues and vote for him as the lesser evil will need to confront what they are truly supporting. He isn’t leaving much wiggle room for retrospective deniability. Liar though he most certainly is.

To be clear, this is crazy and horrible and it scares the crap out of me. I’m just hoping that it also scares the crap out of ENOUGH of my fellow citizens.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9033
Joined  20-02-2006

11 January 2020 11:32

Brick Bungalow - 10 January 2020 10:42 PM

It’s repugnant of course but I appreciate how blunt it is. Previous Presidents courted the evangelical dominionist faction without ever really committing. Obama tried to make nice with all sorts of religious and secular factions with some success but there is something to be said for a decisive flag planted on one side of an ideological divide, unapologetically. Even when its a side as manifestly insane as this one.

The potential upside is that it will hopefully provoke a moment of self reflection. People who agree with Trump on some limited array of issues and vote for him as the lesser evil will need to confront what they are truly supporting. He isn’t leaving much wiggle room for retrospective deniability. Liar though he most certainly is.

To be clear, this is crazy and horrible and it scares the crap out of me. I’m just hoping that it also scares the crap out of ENOUGH of my fellow citizens.

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/10/21059771/trump-toledo-rally-schiff-soleimani

While Trump did make some news with his comments about why he approved a drone strike in Iraq last Thursday that killed top Iranian military official Qassem Soleimani — more on that later — his first rally of 2020 was similar to ones he’s delivered throughout his presidency. He lied about a number of things and went to extreme lengths to glorify himself, at one point taking credit for a purported religious revival in evangelical churches.

“The evangelicals called, some of the greatest pastors, ministers, preachers — and they just called today, five of the most respected people, and they said things that were incredible,” claimed Trump. “They said, ‘there’s never been anything like this in the church ... we’ve never seen enthusiasm like we see for this president and this presidency.’”

If you really want the crap scared out of you, watch and listen to the audience behind him as he speaks at this rally.  63 million cheering playground drivel.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5310
Joined  28-05-2009

11 January 2020 18:39

I am intimately familiar with this community. They can’t wait for Armageddon.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1475
Joined  01-11-2014

14 January 2020 13:26

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

15 January 2020 13:16

Cheshire Cat - 14 January 2020 01:26 PM

I’m not certain if this is a parody or not.

https://politics.theonion.com/prominent-evangelical-magazine-calls-for-removing-trump-1840559882

He lied about a number of things and went to extreme lengths to glorify himself, at one point taking credit for a purported religious revival in evangelical churches.

“The evangelicals called, some of the greatest pastors, ministers, preachers — and they just called today, five of the most respected people, and they said things that were incredible,” claimed Trump. “They said, ‘there’s never been anything like this in the church ... we’ve never seen enthusiasm like we see for this president and this presidency.’”

https://www.pbs.org/video/americas-great-divide-from-obama-to-trump-part-one-8wtjss/

Did anyone watch part 2 of this last night?  Before beginning, PBS gave a warning to ‘sensitive’ viewers.  You know, like having to sign a waiver before being admitted to a horror film that might frighten you to death.

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

15 January 2020 14:40

unsmoked - 15 January 2020 01:16 PM

https://www.pbs.org/video/americas-great-divide-from-obama-to-trump-part-one-8wtjss/

Did anyone watch part 2 of this last night?  Before beginning, PBS gave a warning to ‘sensitive’ viewers.  You know, like having to sign a waiver before being admitted to a horror film that might frighten you to death.

I caught about 70% of part 1 and about 50% of part 2. I thought it was a fascinating documentary. The path from “normal” politics to the present day lunacy is an interesting one. Hopefully, 2020 will close this ugly chapter in our history and restore dignity and sanity back to our highest office.

Ron

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

16 January 2020 09:42

MrRon - 15 January 2020 02:40 PM
unsmoked - 15 January 2020 01:16 PM

I caught about 70% of part 1 and about 50% of part 2. I thought it was a fascinating documentary. The path from “normal” politics to the present day lunacy is an interesting one. Hopefully, 2020 will close this ugly chapter in our history and restore dignity and sanity back to our highest office.

Ron

I couldn’t have said it better.  I don’t know how Trump supporters could watch this without feeling a chill in the marrow of their bones . . . but how many of his 63,000,000 followers watched it?  I used to know Christians who told me they only went to Christian movies.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3542
Joined  26-03-2013

16 January 2020 10:47

That Frontline documentary should be mandatory for every US citizen over the age of sixteen.  A refresher in the events following the flashpoint moment of the 2008 election that ushered the first black president into the white house.  It was not business as usual where you were either disappointed or elated with the results.  It went insane.  And yet I don’t remember hearing the word derangement attached to Obama’s name.

The Tea Party took over and any remaining republican holdouts would eventually hand over their lunch money to a wanna be tough guy pretend billionaire with no relationship with the truth.  And all the fuming racism on the tips of everyone’s tongues was unleashed when Trump provided the second largest voice for white supremacy the world has ever seen.  I don’t know about you people but promoting hate demands a response.

It will never again be like any other time.  And normal never was.  Now it all comes down to 2020.

Are you folks gonna finally stand up to this…or roll over and let it sniff yer genitals?

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

16 January 2020 15:40

Throughout the documentary there were snippets of right-wing talk radio clips - usually during a helicopter’s eye view of busy city traffic down below. It reminded me that during the Obama years I would listen to a fair amount of right-wing radio on my work commutes (I didn’t have much of a choice, as right-wing stations dominated the airwaves where I live). Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, and others. And the outrage directed at Obama/Hillary/Liberals - whether genuine or manufactured - was off the charts. It really was a concerted effort to foment hate and loathing. It was a steady stream of falsehoods, strawman arguments, and conspiratorial thinking. I often thought to myself “Who falls for this garbage?” Then 2016 came. And I discovered that I was giving people too much credit for being able to see through all the bullshit. Anyway, the documentary is an eye opener, even for those who may already have a fairly good grasp of the political and cultural events of the past dozen years.   

Ron

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

16 January 2020 18:28

I just saw Part One.

The documentary gives me the uneasy feeling that I’m living in a different, but similar reenactment of the Weimar Republic in Germany around 1933.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

17 January 2020 10:14

Cheshire Cat - 16 January 2020 06:28 PM

I just saw Part One.

The documentary gives me the uneasy feeling that I’m living in a different, but similar reenactment of the Weimar Republic in Germany around 1933.

If you have the patience to watch this Soviet newsreel taken after the fall of France, keep in mind that the millions of jubilant Germans you see in the streets are a small fraction of Trump’s 63,000,000 supporters.  While those 63 million are at the polls they have what?  63,000,000 kids who think global warming is a hoax?  63 million who think that the New York Times is an enemy of the people?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3xRVKkvx9A

Did Hitler have God on his side?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi_Germany

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

17 January 2020 14:40

unsmoked - 17 January 2020 10:14 AM

I just saw Part One.

If you have the patience to watch this Soviet newsreel taken after the fall of France, keep in mind that the millions of jubilant Germans you see in the streets are a small fraction of Trump’s 63,000,000 supporters.  While those 63 million are at the polls they have what?  63,000,000 kids who think global warming is a hoax?  63 million who think that the New York Times is an enemy of the people?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3xRVKkvx9A

Did Hitler have God on his side?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi_Germany

I just finished watching part 2.

It’s disheartening and alarming when one watches the events of the past 8 years condensed into the length of these two documentaries. Events, that over the span of time I had forgotten, came back during this viewing. The pieces came together — the overall pattern emerged.

We seem to be marching toward a dictatorship.

I think the majority of Trump’s “63 million” would probably be okay with it too.

Bill Maher is the only person I have heard so far, who thinks that if Trump loses the election fair and square, will claim that it was rigged and will refuse to step down. This doesn’t seem as far fetched as I once thought.

If this were to happen, would McConnell and the Republicans protest, or would they remain in lockstep with Trump? Would the conservative judges on the Supreme Court capitulate? Would the Joint Chiefs of Staff step in? Would Trump declare Marshall Law saying that our very government was in danger due to election tampering and give himself unlimited presidential powers “temporarily” until the the “crisis” was over?

I hope none of this comes to pass, but the very fact that I could imagine it plausibly happening, tells me how far off the rails this country is right now.

[ Edited: 17 January 2020 14:43 by Cheshire Cat]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

18 January 2020 13:02

Cheshire Cat - 17 January 2020 02:40 PM
unsmoked - 17 January 2020 10:14 AM

I just saw Part One.

I just finished watching part 2.

It’s disheartening and alarming when one watches the events of the past 8 years condensed into the length of these two documentaries. Events, that over the span of time I had forgotten, came back during this viewing. The pieces came together — the overall pattern emerged.

We seem to be marching toward a dictatorship.

I think the majority of Trump’s “63 million” would probably be okay with it too.

Bill Maher is the only person I have heard so far, who thinks that if Trump loses the election fair and square, will claim that it was rigged and will refuse to step down. This doesn’t seem as far fetched as I once thought.

If this were to happen, would McConnell and the Republicans protest, or would they remain in lockstep with Trump? Would the conservative judges on the Supreme Court capitulate? Would the Joint Chiefs of Staff step in? Would Trump declare Marshall Law saying that our very government was in danger due to election tampering and give himself unlimited presidential powers “temporarily” until the the “crisis” was over?

I hope none of this comes to pass, but the very fact that I could imagine it plausibly happening, tells me how far off the rails this country is right now.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/01/13/the-future-of-americas-contest-with-china

quote from this article by Evan Osnos in the January 13 New Yorker:

“Xi Jinping is sixty-six years old, with a full, reddish face, neatly combed hair, and an expression of patient immovability. Since taking office, in 2012, he has redoubled political repression and suspended term limits on the Presidency, so he will run the country for as long as he chooses.”