#181- The Illusory Self A Conversation with Richard Lang

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6656
Joined  22-02-2005

13 January 2020 15:53

In this episode of the Making Sense podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Richard Lang about how to experience the world beyond the illusion of the self.

#181- The Illusory Self A Conversation with Richard Lang

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

PermieMan

PermieMan
Total Posts:  108
Joined  08-12-2019

17 January 2020 05:22

If ‘Growing Up’ or becoming ‘woke’ involves accurately living ones morality then the term satisfaction inside of satisfaction depicts a new way in conscious consumerism that can bolster liberty within independence for the purpose of functioning in our interdependent lives and then reflecting this functionality in our digital lives.

pluka

pluka
Total Posts:  78
Joined  15-01-2020

28 January 2020 00:02

First I should say that I’m probably far from reaching this point in meditation and this may seem like a stupid question to those who have (I may have reached similar states with psychedelics but I’m not sure what to think of those experiences as I was so generally out of my mind) but anyway, I was wondering, whenever the analogy of the blind spot is brought up: The blind spot experiment lets you experience the non existence of the dot, just like meditation supposedly lets you experience the non existence of the self, but clearly the blind spot experiment does not prove the absence of the spot in any objective sense, yet meditation is often talked about as doing this for the self. What is the difference there?

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3139
Joined  19-01-2015

28 January 2020 02:26

The Blind Spot is about realizing that what you perceive isn’t really what is there, but rather a model of the world in your mind that is updated as necessary.

Following this, you realize that most strong emotions you have are about what you think about the world, not the world as it is.

Personally, the way Harris tries to show that there is no self doesn’t work for me. I’d rather think of the Self as a continuing brain process that can be paused and restarted.