Flavors of Capitalism vs. the sound bite society

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7872
Joined  22-02-2014

21 January 2020 10:41

Sadly, it’s a given that our society’s collective ability to think has been reduced to sound bites. Sigh.

That said, I’d like to think that perhaps in the upcoming elections, Dems could offer up a few simple distinctions about economic systems.

For instance could they talk about “Eisenhower Capitalism” vs, “Trump Capitalism”?

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5780
Joined  27-09-2006

26 January 2020 00:27

icehorse - 21 January 2020 10:41 AM

Sadly, it’s a given that our society’s collective ability to think has been reduced to sound bites. Sigh.

That said, I’d like to think that perhaps in the upcoming elections, Dems could offer up a few simple distinctions about economic systems.

For instance could they talk about “Eisenhower Capitalism” vs, “Trump Capitalism”?

I’m what you could call “post-political”, in the sense of “beyond” and not in the sense of “subsequent”, Can you articulate why I should return to the front instead of deserting (from your perspective, of course) one army or the other?

[ Edited: 26 January 2020 00:29 by Traces Elk]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7872
Joined  22-02-2014

26 January 2020 02:40

Hmmm. I could take “post-political to mean”:

- you’ve given up caring about the future -or-
- you care about the future, but you don’t think backing a party will help -or, less likely-
- you care about the future, and you think we should pursue an entirely new system

I know thoughtful people who fall into each of those camps, so there is no snark implied.

Personally, I care about future generations, and I’d prefer that we don’t go through a “mad max” period. If I was the benevolent dictator I’d cook up and install a capitalist variation that would share some of the characteristics of Eisenhower’s economy. I think that we’re either already in an oligarchy, or that we’re almost there, and oligarchies are likely to create a horrible future. IMO, most every problem we have today is significantly exacerbated by the oligarchy.

So, I think Warren is our best bet to undo the oligarchy and head us back towards an Eisenhower-ish economy.

And, whenever I hear the phrase “I think”, or I utter it myself, I’m reminded of Stewart Lee:

“but I think..”