The Three Branches about to Implode Simultaneously

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7872
Joined  22-02-2014

26 January 2020 10:01

We know the current executive branch has abandoned all sense of morals, ethics, and loyalty to the country. As we watch the Senate’s non-trial, we see the legislature following the executive branch into the abyss. And of course the smart money is predicting that John Roberts, our chief justice, is about to look the other way, thereby throwing the judiciary down the toilet as well.

So much for checks and balances. This entire, 250 year old experiment could well be about to fail. Argh.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  08-12-2006

26 January 2020 11:10

This has been going on for a while now. Trump wouldn’t have been possible if it hadn’t. Don’t forget to include the “Fourth Estate,” too. The press has become just as partisan as our two political parties.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2986
Joined  19-01-2015

26 January 2020 11:18

The Electoral College had one job, and one job only that couldn’t be fully automated: refuse to elect someone like Trump.
That was the entire reason d’aitre the Founders intended it for.

Once the disease is past the gatekeepers, the body is mostly unprotected.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5291
Joined  28-05-2009

27 January 2020 08:55

I concur with a general panic about what is occurring at the federal level. But I’m not on the wagon with such broad generalizations. I think we’ve seen some successes in the experiment as well and I think that bears acknowledgment and recognition moving forward.

John Roberts has refuted Trump in print several times on matters of jurisprudence and constitutional law. He is conservative to be sure but I don’t believe he is corrupt. I don’t believe he plans to deliberately tank the trial out of partisan allegiance… as several Republican Senators have pledged to do.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7872
Joined  22-02-2014

27 January 2020 11:16

Brick Bungalow - 27 January 2020 08:55 AM

I concur with a general panic about what is occurring at the federal level. But I’m not on the wagon with such broad generalizations. I think we’ve seen some successes in the experiment as well and I think that bears acknowledgment and recognition moving forward.

John Roberts has refuted Trump in print several times on matters of jurisprudence and constitutional law. He is conservative to be sure but I don’t believe he is corrupt. I don’t believe he plans to deliberately tank the trial out of partisan allegiance… as several Republican Senators have pledged to do.

Man, I hope you’re right!

Twissel

Twissel
Joined  19-01-2015

27 January 2020 12:35

one theory has it that Roberts, being involved with the Impeachment, will recuse himself from any decision the SC will have to make about issues about Trump, which will leave the Court deadlocked, which means that the Lower Court decision will stand ... which is still much more likely to be unfavorable to Trump.

It’s not nearly as good as Roberts siding with the actual laws and precedents, but it would be something.

pluka

pluka
Total Posts:  26
Joined  15-01-2020

29 January 2020 04:03

Why do you think this impeachment deserves a fair trial? You don’t honestly think the process in the house was fair, do you? If he actually is impeached, now that would be a failure of the separation of powers.

Twissel

Twissel
Joined  19-01-2015

29 January 2020 04:11

pluka - 29 January 2020 04:03 AM

Why do you think this impeachment deserves a fair trial? You don’t honestly think the process in the house was fair, do you? If he actually is impeached, now that would be a failure of the separation of powers.

you obviously haven’t read the Constitution.