Maybe You Don’t have to be in (physical) Pain !?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7872
Joined  22-02-2014

02 February 2020 09:27

(Note: Of course, don’t do any of this without consulting your doctor!)

Got some torn cartilage? Sciatica? Low back pain? Other tissue damage?

Recent findings in pain science are revealing that - apart from the period shortly after an injury - there is a low correlation between pain and tissue damage. Sure, if you just broke your arm or sprained your ankle, you’ve got tissue damage and pain - no doubt. But..

If you’ve got pain from old injuries or unexplained sources, that pain might well be safely eliminated.

Your brain’s first job is to keep the body safe. The brain takes a very conservative approach to safety. If it thinks some tissue might be damaged, it will send pain messages to that tissue to keep you from moving it, so that it can heal. So far, so good. But one side-effect is that as the tissue heals, the lines of communication between that tissue and the brain wither. If we use a Parkour athlete as an exemplar, she has EXCELLENT proprioception with her entire body. In other words, her brain has strong, reliable, active lines of communication with all of her movement systems. She has great mobility, great coordination, and she can solve a wide range of movement problems in real time.

(Fans of bio-mechanics, beware.. This Parkour athlete will demonstrate wide variability in her movement patterns. From the bio-mechanics perspective, much of her movement would be viewed as “bio-mechanically wrong”. But bio-mechanics is crumbling under the pressure of movement science and functional movement. Apart from a small subset of “bio-mechanics non-negotiables”, be leery of any coach or therapist who leads with bio-mechanics.)

So we as individuals would benefit if we learned from the Parkour athlete. We want to achieve functional movement. We want to restore strong lines of communication between our brains and all of our body. We should be able to go from standing to sitting on the floor cross-legged without using our hands. And we should be able to rise from that position. We should be able to squat comfortably with our heels on the floor. To a large degree, we should be able to do what we could do as kids. We should - largely - be able to restore our movement systems to their original factory settings smile

So, does your knee hurt when you try to squat? Odds are, your knee is just fine. BUT DO NOT FORCE IT !! Instead, start doing gentle functional movement (FM), exercises. Do CARS (controlled articular rotations). Do other functional movement exercises.

Odds are that your brain - being the conservative protector that it is - has “put the parking brakes” on that sore knee, just in case. Your brain needs to be convinced that everything’s okay with that knee after all. So you do your FM exercises, and after a while squatting is no problem.

==

Some important caveats:

Some doctors have made this leap into functional movement and pain science, and some have not. Some doctors are still quite fond of taking spine, or hip, or knee X-rays, seeing wear and tear, and recommending surgery. But it turns out that the best doctors cannot reliably predict pain by looking at X-Rays. Let that sink in for a few minutes.

So - you might really have a problem. You might really need to restrict your movement. You might really need that hip replaced.

But you might not! So talk to your doctor about his views on pain science and functional movement. If he’s not up to speed, maybe consult with a different doctor.

==

Check out Grey Cook, Todd Hargrove, and Greg Lehman as good starting points. Here’s a great little video:

when bio-mechanics doesn’t matter

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18004
Joined  15-02-2008

02 February 2020 10:14

Call within the next 15mins and get a free travel size with your purchase!

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

02 February 2020 10:55

GAD - 02 February 2020 10:14 AM

Yes, because clearly I stand to profit by sharing this info.

GAD, you really are a d##k aren’t you? Not just on TV, but in real life.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18004
Joined  15-02-2008

02 February 2020 10:58

icehorse - 02 February 2020 10:55 AM

Just having some fun. When I read your post that is what popped in to my head. If that makes me a dick (I’m a grownup so I can actually spell dick out), then so be it.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

02 February 2020 11:16

GAD - 02 February 2020 10:58 AM
icehorse - 02 February 2020 10:55 AM

Just having some fun. When I read your post that is what popped in to my head. If that makes me a dick (I’m a grownup so I can actually spell dick out), then so be it.

Ok, fair enough, but given your reputation, you have to understand that your attempts at fun are going to need to be really well executed.

(I can spell dick as well - i’m just never sure what’s going to tweak the mods. wink  )

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6511
Joined  22-02-2005

02 February 2020 16:56

Always jumping to conclusions, eh? He might have meant dork.