1 2 > 

In reply to Read on Facebook

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3905
Joined  20-11-2013

03 February 2020 19:24

The thread

Let the poor starve; fuck ‘em, they deserve it.
Let the sick poor die; fuck ‘em, they deserve it.
Keep cutting taxes to create a “need” to cut Social Security and Medicare; we need more poor and sick old people to die and get out of the way, fuck ‘em; they deserve it.
Who gives a shit about crumbling bridges and pothole filled highways that I don’t have to drive on?
Who gives a shit about toxic waterways that I don’t live anywhere near?
Who gives a shit about contaminated public drinking water supplies in cities where I don’t live?
There’s a really long, long list, but who gives a shit?

Racism?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.
White Privilege?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.
Oppression?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.
Misogyny?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.

What’s hilarious is just how eat up with the dumbass the people who try to “whitewash” and “man-splain” all this shit all away really are.

[ Edited: 03 February 2020 19:27 by bbearren]

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18096
Joined  15-02-2008

03 February 2020 23:29

Well, there really is no way to answer that except to tell you what I think of you. In that I can tell you that I view you even less then you view me. Do you see yourself that way? Of course not, and neither do I. I get it through. I was just talking to my friend about this, all the old people at the end of their lives ranting and raving about shit that makes no sense and that no one cares about, but they can’t see it because they are running on autopilot now. I was saying I hope that’s not me at the end but when I look around I can see statistically that it probably will be and I won’t even know it because I won’t be able to see it, just like you can’t.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 February 2020 00:34

GAD - 03 February 2020 11:29 PM

Well, there really is no way to answer that except to tell you what I think of you. In that I can tell you that I view you even less then you view me.  Do you see yourself that way?  Of course not, and neither do I.

You can’t view me any less than I view myself, and how you view me is inconsequential.  I’m only the dust and ashes of exploded stars, not to be recognized as having an opinion worth addressing.  And yet you seem to continue finding my opinions worth addressing.  Why is that, I wonder?

I get it through. I was just talking to my friend about this, all the old people at the end of their lives ranting and raving about shit that makes no sense and that no one cares about, but they can’t see it because they are running on autopilot now. I was saying I hope that’s not me at the end but when I look around I can see statistically that it probably will be and I won’t even know it because I won’t be able to see it, just like you can’t.

I don’t think I’m quite near the end of my life.  My parents, and their parents lived into their 90’s.  I’ll be 75 in late April, so with my genes I’m likely still 15 or 20 years away from the end of my life.  I’m 18 with almost 57 years of experience is how I look at it.  On the other hand, it might seem that you’re already running on autopilot on these forums, and for a good while, now.  Most any one of your replies could be swapped from one thread to another and it wouldn’t be noticeable.

This reply is unusual in that regard.  It’s almost conversational, contextual, even.  Good on you, as the Brits would say (some friends from England are here for a two week holiday).

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18096
Joined  15-02-2008

04 February 2020 08:24

Your mind returned to dust and ashes some time ago, your body just hasn’t caught up with it. You don’t have any opinions worth addressing, I was addressing you.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Total Posts:  402
Joined  18-12-2018

04 February 2020 08:30

“Let the poor starve; fuck ‘em, they deserve it.
Keep cutting taxes to create a ‘need’ to cut Social Security and Medicare; we need more poor and sick old people to die and get out of the way, fuck ‘em; they deserve it.”  Our option is either more government, or let all the poor and sick die?  Who is saying this?

“Who gives a shit about crumbling bridges and pothole filled highways that I don’t have to drive on?
Who gives a shit about contaminated public drinking water supplies in cities where I don’t live?
There’s a really long, long list, but who gives a shit?”  You realize that government has been in charge of/regulated all of these things already?  If these are really your criticisms then you are highlighting the fact that the government is lacking.

“Racism?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.
Misogyny?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.”  By your own standard:  Fascism?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 February 2020 09:34

GAD - 04 February 2020 08:24 AM

Your mind returned to dust and ashes some time ago, your body just hasn’t caught up with it. You don’t have any opinions worth addressing, I was addressing you.

To what end?  For what purpose?  In what capacity?

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 February 2020 09:47

TwoSeven1 - 04 February 2020 08:30 AM

By your own standard:  Fascism?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.

I did not address fascism.  As I stated in the OP linked in this OP, I didn’t write the article in that link, I just posted the link to it.

Fascism does not comport with racism, white privilege, oppression or misogyny as referenced in this OP.  Fascism is a political state.  Racism, white privilege, oppression and misogyny are states of mind.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  01-11-2014

04 February 2020 10:14

bbearren - 03 February 2020 07:24 PM

The thread

Let the poor starve; fuck ‘em, they deserve it.
Keep cutting taxes to create a “need” to cut Social Security and Medicare; we need more poor and sick old people to die and get out of the way, fuck ‘em; they deserve it.
Who gives a shit about crumbling bridges and pothole filled highways that I don’t have to drive on?
There’s a really long, long list, but who gives a shit?

Racism?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.
Misogyny?  If you haven’t lived it, you don’t know it.

What’s hilarious is just how eat up with the dumbass the people who try to “whitewash” and “man-splain” all this shit all away really are.

Heck, I got this post all wrong — I thought BB had just posted the new 2020 Republican Party Platform.
My bad.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

04 February 2020 10:21

bbearren - 04 February 2020 09:47 AM

I did not address fascism.  As I stated in the OP linked in this OP, I didn’t write the article in that link, I just posted the link to it.

Fascism does not comport with racism, white privilege, oppression or misogyny as referenced in this OP.  Fascism is a political state.  Racism, white privilege, oppression and misogyny are states of mind.

“I did not address fascism.”  I’m aware.

“Fascism does not comport with racism, white privilege, oppression or misogyny as referenced in this OP.  Fascism is a political state.  Racism, white privilege, oppression and misogyny are states of mind.”  So then, we can’t know if someone is racist or mysogynist unless we experience those states of mind?  I know that’s not what you were trying to say, but then what is the point of your rant?  Were you attempting to show that the people who perceive themselves as victims in society are correct to assume the intent of that society?  Or, were you saying that people who perceive themselves as victims are correct to define what the oppressive, racist, mysogynistic states of mind are?

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 February 2020 11:46

You need to learn how to quote a post to reply to it.  I’ll help you with this one.

TwoSeven1 - 04 February 2020 10:21 AM
bbearren - 04 February 2020 09:47 AM

“I did not address fascism.”  I’m aware.

So then, we can’t know if someone is racist or mysogynist unless we experience those states of mind?  I know that’s not what you were trying to say, but then what is the point of your rant?

Not a rant, just an opinion.  I was born and raised in central Florida, sort of a deep south enclave.  In those days, tourists only went to the coasts, so there was very little outside influence.  As a society central Florida had a great deal in common with Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia.

Were you attempting to show that the people who perceive themselves as victims in society are correct to assume the intent of that society?

Nope.  By living it, and therefore knowing it, I’m putting it on a personal level.  I’m not addressing “society” at all.

Or, were you saying that people who perceive themselves as victims are correct to define what the oppressive, racist, mysogynistic states of mind are?

Nope.  I’m not speaking in terms of “victim-hood”.  I’m talking about individuals.  A black man at a gas station being told by a white man that if he attempts to drink from a fountain he’ll get a tire iron up side his head is living the oppression of a racist.  The racist is demonstrating his racism by stating his threat clearly and personally.

A gas station owner who instructs his employees to hide if a black driver pulls up to a gas pump until he or she leaves, unless that black driver is the employee of, and driving the vehicle of a white patron who has an account at the station, is demonstrating his racism.  If the driver didn’t leave soon enough, the owner himself would go out to serve the black driver just to get that person off the premises, lest white patrons be reluctant to pull in.

Those illustrations are true, and took place after the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and long before the concept of “self service” at gas stations.  The gas station still had a “Colored” restroom, plainly labeled just like the “Men” and “Women” restrooms beside it.  Those are individual examples of racism and oppression.  White privilege is simply a product of such examples multiplied many-fold.  The rare black driver who pulled into that station was from out of town.  The black locals never came in.

A white, prominent patron of the local bank got wind that the bank had hired a black teller, came to the bank and demanded that his accounts be closed and his money returned to him in cash immediately.  A member of the board of directors tried to calm him down and discuss the situation with him, but he would have none of it, repeating his demands.  The N-word was thrown around liberally and loudly.  He withdrew (in today’s dollars) $130,000 and closed his accounts.  He was demonstrating his racism with his actions.

There are a great many more such examples, and although that era in this area has been modulated and moderated with the times, it is far from gone.

[ Edited: 04 February 2020 11:49 by bbearren]

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

04 February 2020 12:39

“Not a rant, just an opinion.”  I respect that you have a different opinion than I do on these subjects, so I’ll leave it at that.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 February 2020 14:45

TwoSeven1 - 04 February 2020 12:39 PM

“Not a rant, just an opinion.”  I respect that you have a different opinion than I do on these subjects, so I’ll leave it at that.

You haven’t lived it.  I know that.  If you had lived/were living it, your opinion would also be different.  You’re professing your naiveté, nothing more.

“Christian on the Right” is an oxymoron.

“Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.  For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.  Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves.  Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.”—1 Peter 2:13-17 (NIV)

Tell me how those verses comport with the OP in this thread?  For all intents and purposes, the OP is the voice of the right with all the dog whistles stripped away.  Cheshire Cat recognized it easily enough.

How does “not my taxes” comport with those verses?  Didn’t Jesus have something to say about taxes?  “Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?”
He saw through their duplicity and said to them, “Show me a denarius. Whose image and inscription are on it?”
“Caesar’s,” they replied.
He said to them, “Then give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”—Luke 20:22–25 (NIV)

But you say, “I’d rather be left alone to pursue the things that make me happy, and to help the people who I choose to help.”

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

04 February 2020 15:27

bbearren - 04 February 2020 02:45 PM

You haven’t lived it.  I know that.  If you had lived/were living it, your opinion would also be different.  You’re professing your naiveté, nothing more.

“Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.  For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.  Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves.  Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.”—1 Peter 2:13-17 (NIV)

Tell me how those verses comport with the OP in this thread?  For all intents and purposes, the OP is the voice of the right with all the dog whistles stripped away.  Cheshire Cat recognized it easily enough.

How does “not my taxes” comport with those verses?  Didn’t Jesus have something to say about taxes?  “Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?”
He saw through their duplicity and said to them, “Show me a denarius. Whose image and inscription are on it?”
He said to them, “Then give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”—Luke 20:22–25 (NIV)

But you say, “I’d rather be left alone to pursue the things that make me happy, and to help the people who I choose to help.”

Since you pointed out the difficulty in reading my normal responses, you’ll have to wait until I can get to my laptop so I can properly format a response to this.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

04 February 2020 16:35

What you haven’t made clear is why I need to live something in order to understand it.  There are any number of things you haven’t lived but you can understand.  Why am I excluded from understanding the things you speak of?  Now, I know your point is that I can’t feel the emotion of those things, but why do I need to?  I understand that they are bad.  If your point is that I need to feel the emotion of them in order to see the truth, then that is unreasonable.

How can it be?  Being Christian and being on the right are not mutually exclusive.  What are mutually exclusive are being Christian and believing that God is nature.

To be honest, I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make here.  A critical problem you don’t address is that, as an American, I am in a position to be a part of the governing process.  Peter wasn’t referring to that.  He was referring to issues of conduct.

Did Caesar allow the people to choose where their taxes went?  Are you seriously arguing that I should give up my rights as an American citizen because Jesus implied so?  You are taking the Bible out of context to try and justify your worldview.

Again, are you honestly arguing that I should trust some politician to have the better judgement on where my taxes are used?  The Bible does not make the argument that you are making, if so.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 February 2020 19:10

I’ve taken the liberty to clean up your quoting.

TwoSeven1 - 04 February 2020 04:35 PM

What you haven’t made clear is why I need to live something in order to understand it.  There are any number of things you haven’t lived but you can understand.  Why am I excluded from understanding the things you speak of?  Now, I know your point is that I can’t feel the emotion of those things, but why do I need to?  I understand that they are bad.  If your point is that I need to feel the emotion of them in order to see the truth, then that is unreasonable.

In the “Read on Facebook” thread you have already professed plainly that you do not see the truth .

TwoSeven1 - 03 February 2020 09:46 AM

13. This is just parroting the left’s narrative.  If she wants to change minds she could start by seeking to prove that we have systemic racism and mysogyny in America, instead of assuming that people on the right agree that it even exists.

You don’t believe it exists because you haven’t lived it.  You won’t be convinced, even by those who have lived it, because, quite frankly, you’re eat up with the dumbass.

How can it be?  Being Christian and being on the right are not mutually exclusive.  What are mutually exclusive are being Christian and believing that God is nature.

As I said in the “Read on Facebook” thread, you and people like you are literally the reason that I do not consider myself a “christian” in the denoted sense of that word in today’s culture.  Being Christian and being on the right are indeed mutually exclusive.

Again, you’re professing your naiveté, nothing more.

As I said to Vociferous Asshole, anyone who says that white privilege is not a significant issue is eat up with the dumbass.  Anyone who says that oppression is not a significant issue is eat up with the dumbass.

[ Edited: 05 February 2020 06:54 by bbearren]

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  353
Joined  07-02-2017

06 February 2020 13:58

I recently reconnected with an old High School buddy through facebook who was not at all religious in HS. Somewhere along the way he’s found Jesus in a very Evangelical way.  He’s very pro Trump, anti-gay, pro-gun, anti-abortion, anti-immigration, anti-tax, anti-welfare, anti-climate change, and anti-evolution. I don’t know just when he developed all these proclivities but I highly suspect they developed coincident with the onset of his fundamentalist belief system.

He and 271 would probably get on just great. As for he and I, I had to stop following him so my FB feed did not fill up with his rantings. We had planned to get together for a beer someday, however, how can one maintain cordiality with an old buddy who’s now “eat up with the dumbass”, if he insists on pushing his beliefs in person similarly to his FB postings? Perhaps the only thing we would agree on, is that we both used to believe that Pabst Blue Ribbon was good beer.

1 2 >