- Other

what’s your take?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6511
Joined  22-02-2005

05 February 2020 09:19

other- She is simply correct.

I am reminded of the one-lensed Malibu driver’s line in Repo Man. “The two hemispheres are fundamentally opposed.”

A less silly person might recall Lincoln’s line from Lincoln. “A House of Representatives divided against itself cannot stand the President.” Simply by being stubbornly partisan, the repubs have pulled the plug on the legislative branch.

Everyone knows the trump movement is working within an extra-Constitutional organizing principle. Folks within the movement have at least ten different ideas of what that organizing principle is. As long as the trumpster can remain the wafer-thin plastic wrap that binds them all together, this country’s founding fathers may be walking among us.

Biden is losing his chance to be the wafer-thin plastic wrap that binds the dems together. There is no denying the effectiveness of the phone fiasco. Mission accomplished. Madame Speaker provided some useful frames of video. I shutter to think of how.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8967
Joined  20-02-2006

05 February 2020 11:06

Nancy Pelosi’s take on it -

‘You know – he’s selling a bill of goods like a snake oil salesman. We cannot let this – we cannot let this stand.’

The real pain is watching his base swallowing the snake oil . . . like watching obese people at the supermarket filling their carts with junk food.  What can you say?  Hand them a pamphlet about diabetes from the doctor’s waiting room?

[ Edited: 05 February 2020 11:41 by unsmoked]

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1982
Joined  14-08-2008

05 February 2020 14:47

icehorse - 05 February 2020 08:37 AM

- Disrespectful
- Badass
- Other

what’s your take?

“Disrespectful” to who? You mean, to the guy who literally makes a living being disrespectful to others? The guy who disrespects POWs. women, journalists, and anyone who disagrees with him? That guy? I don’t think he deserves any respect.

Ron

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18004
Joined  15-02-2008

05 February 2020 17:48

I’ll go with badass!

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5291
Joined  28-05-2009

05 February 2020 20:00

Exactly on point. Trump is making every noise of the totalitarian dictator. As well as making an ass out himself and the entire nation on a daily basis. I endorse any and all means of legal, peaceful resistance to such despicable characters.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  767
Joined  20-07-2017

05 February 2020 20:46

I’d say crafty: she’s diverting attention away from Trump and into herself.  A minor victory in shaping the narrative.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

05 February 2020 20:52

GAD - 05 February 2020 05:48 PM

I’ll go with badass!

Yes.  While Pence applauds.  Photo -  https://www.nationalreview.com/news/pelosi-defends-shredding-of-trumps-sotu-address-it-was-the-courteous-thing-to-do/#slide-1

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2986
Joined  19-01-2015

05 February 2020 21:23

Badass.
She basically neutralized the speech and acquittal with that move: remember, as far as the House is concerned, Trump should have been removed.
Compared to Impeachment, ripping a piece of paper is not significant.

pluka

pluka
Total Posts:  26
Joined  15-01-2020

06 February 2020 02:42

- Other
Weak

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6461
Joined  31-01-2012

06 February 2020 06:13

All I thought was: “shit!” Because I immediately thought about how “the basket of deplorables” comment worked so much against Hilary. Even the non-deplorable Trumpian’s decided to invest in Deplorable Pride after she said that. It’s like they wanted to see themselves through his eyes even though many of them were much better than him. I think that they also saw “the shredding” and felt similar. Despite the fact that Trump is an emotional vampire who would overtime irk even Jesus Christ himself, the Democratic expectation has to be to rise above the bullshit. You can laugh at it, poke at it, smile at it, and parodize it; but you can’t let him get a rise out of you because despite all his lies and manipulations his followers are waiting right there at the other end of your angst to point and say “I told you they hate us.”

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  352
Joined  14-09-2017

06 February 2020 07:09

Disrespectful
Everyone knows how she feels about the president, it wasn’t necessary.  “When they go low, we go high”.  It almost looked like she was afraid to do it.  Listen, if you’re going to make a statement then do it right - grab a goddamn paper shredder from under your seat and shred that thing immediately at the conclusion of the speech.  Then slap a bow on the bin and present it to Pence.  This isn’t rocket science.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15999
Joined  17-12-2006

06 February 2020 08:19

Agree with Twissel. Whatever viral moments Trump had in the speech (and will use in his advertising), that is now what people will remember.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Total Posts:  386
Joined  18-12-2018

06 February 2020 09:17

All I take away from her action is that she believes “orange man bad.”

Other than that, I don’t really care.  Her politics are a joke.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

06 February 2020 11:22

How else could she respond to blatant racism, and having to sit through many standing ovations for blatant racism?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/in-honoring-rush-limbaugh-trump-celebrated-racial-division?

quote:

“For the President of the United States to bestow one of the nation’s highest laurels on Limbaugh is a morally corrosive and politically cynical act. It is a kind of assault on the achievements of so many previous award winners, a list that includes Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, Jr., Václav Havel, Rosa Parks, and John Lewis. It is appalling to see Rush Limbaugh’s name listed alongside theirs.

Limbaugh is hardly an American original. He derives from a line of radio bigots like Father Coughlin, who made racism into a form of demagogic entertainment.”

[ Edited: 06 February 2020 11:57 by unsmoked]

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Total Posts:  386
Joined  18-12-2018

06 February 2020 12:29

unsmoked - 06 February 2020 11:22 AM

How else could she respond to blatant racism, and having to sit through many standing ovations for blatant racism?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/in-honoring-rush-limbaugh-trump-celebrated-racial-division?

quote:

“For the President of the United States to bestow one of the nation’s highest laurels on Limbaugh is a morally corrosive and politically cynical act. It is a kind of assault on the achievements of so many previous award winners, a list that includes Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, Jr., Václav Havel, Rosa Parks, and John Lewis. It is appalling to see Rush Limbaugh’s name listed alongside theirs.

Limbaugh is hardly an American original. He derives from a line of radio bigots like Father Coughlin, who made racism into a form of demagogic entertainment.”

What are you hoping to prove by sharing an op-ed?

1 2 3 >