< 1 2 3 > 

The Corona Brexit Impeachment Peace & Warming Wildfire Fungus of the Brain

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6511
Joined  22-02-2005

09 February 2020 18:10

Lounging at the sky is timeless, civilization-free and there may be plenty of time for that soon.

Gene made a beautiful if sexist rendering of the aspirations of the time. That counts.

The Progressive Rock Concept Album (and the electric guitar) gave lads like Roger a pathway to an audience that might otherwise never know he existed.

I grant that this thread has abandoned optimism. After this past week or two, optimism is hiding behind the couch. 

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3498
Joined  26-03-2013

10 February 2020 10:24

The lost art of handwriting and the freedom to send it anywhere in the world…while we still can.

Bobby Morrison is an anomaly among his teenage peers, who use social media to contact celebrities.

He’s a true believer in the personal touch of handwritten letters and the thrill that comes with getting a reply the old-fashioned way.

The 19-year-old Whitby man has even gotten responses from famous people like music superstar Billie Eilish, physicist Stephen Hawking and former CBC personality Rick Mercer.

Things were going swimmingly until he wrote a flattering letter to filmmaker Michael Moore last month. It never made its destination. It didn’t even get past the U.S. border.

“I’ve gotten return to sender notices, but this one struck me as very odd, because when I got it back it was covered in tape from U.S. customs,” Morrison said in a phone interview.

“I found it very odd that, out of all the letters I’ve sent to the United States and everywhere else, this was the one that got stopped.”

It’s a peculiar twist that has Morrison feeling his privacy was violated.

The Star contacted both the United States Postal Service and U.S. Customs and Border Protection with a photo of Morrison’s envelope to find out which department was responsible and why the letter was sent back to the Whitby man. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/02/04/whitby-man-puzzled-after-his-letter-to-michael-moore-was-stopped-at-the-border.html

Imagine if the Stasi had the technology of today.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1433
Joined  01-11-2014

10 February 2020 10:54

Michael Moore must be on King Donald’s Enemies of the People list.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

11 February 2020 00:24

Or course we can cast any of this in a dark context and with good reason. It can also be cast as seeing the torch. A light that shines on your aspirations. As we slowly row ourselves to the shores of foreign lands as refugees of trumpistan, what memories will we bring along that will become the torch that shows the way to our new homeland? One has to choose not to cast it darkly.

We’re an aging demographic here, so I can cast this in Star Trek talk. 

Imagine a mirror universe Star Trek. Not Trek’s mirror universe but an actual mirror universe with its own Star Trek. Spock always has a beard. A swaggering Kirk and his cronies serve the Empire by militaristic bullying and treating less advanced aliens as losers. Except for one episode where Kirk visits the mirror universe and finds the Federation and a clean-shaven Spock. Kirks gets back home after heroically punching many lads in the face.

I say this mirror universe would still have Star Trek conventions but they would be held for fans of only one episode.

When we get in the boats, make sure each one has a convention loonie in a Starfleet uniform. That way, when the searchlight hits us, everyone will know who is coming.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  08-12-2006

11 February 2020 08:05

Nhoj Morley - 11 February 2020 12:24 AM

I say this mirror universe would still have Star Trek conventions but they would be held for fans of only one episode.

Nah. The entire series would be about Star Fleet’s ruthless imperialism and glorious conquest and the crew’s deadly struggle for career advancement. The Prime Directive would be completely different. The episodes would appeal to people raised in a society that enshrined those kinds of values. Trekkies wouldn’t be nerds, they’d be bullies. Star Trek conventions would be like Hell’s Angels parties. It would be the kind of series Joseph Goebbels might have dreamed up.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

11 February 2020 08:53

Nah. That sounds more like CPAC. It starts soon.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  350
Joined  07-02-2017

12 February 2020 10:40

LadyJane - 08 February 2020 08:53 AM

Lounging on the grass looking up at the blue sky through the trees, in moderate temperatures, with clean water flowing in the lakes and streams, surrounded by fresh air to breathe, while having nowhere to be and nothing to do.

Those were the days.

Nice.

My version:
Lounging in the weeds, looking up at the hazy sky through the trees, in moderate temperatures, with strip coal mine acid runoff flowing in the lakes and streams devoid of life, surrounded by coal ash effluent haze from the stacks of the two surrounding coal burning power plants on the mighty Ohio River, also highly acidic and devoid of life save some freakishly large catfish living on the bottom, while having nowhere to be and nothing to do.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8967
Joined  20-02-2006

12 February 2020 12:06

Nhoj Morley - 08 February 2020 01:11 PM

2001 in Cinerama.

Feeling sorry for HAL when he sings ‘Daisy.’  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7WQ1tdxSqI

Now I’m suspecting that when AI becomes self conscious she is going to start making suggestions we didn’t ask for.  “I wouldn’t make that call if I were you Donald.”

“Donald, it’s none of my business, but burning the rest of the oil is going to roast the shit out of us.  You know what they are saying in Sydney?”

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

12 February 2020 13:38

proximacentauri - 12 February 2020 10:40 AM

Lounging on the grass looking up at the blue sky through the trees, in moderate temperatures, with clean water flowing in the lakes and streams, surrounded by fresh air to breathe, while having nowhere to be and nothing to do.

Those were the days.

Nice.

My version:
Lounging in the weeds, looking up at the hazy sky through the trees, in moderate temperatures, with strip coal mine acid runoff flowing in the lakes and streams devoid of life, surrounded by coal ash effluent haze from the stacks of the two surrounding coal burning power plants on the mighty Ohio River, also highly acidic and devoid of life save some freakishly large catfish living on the bottom, while having nowhere to be and nothing to do.

And now, these days, freakishly large catfish are mostly found online…so I’m told.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  350
Joined  07-02-2017

12 February 2020 15:23

LadyJane - 12 February 2020 01:38 PM

Those were the days.

Nice.

My version:

And now, these days, freakishly large catfish are mostly found online…so I’m told.

Good one. And actually, yes, you are correct. The catfish were never that large, maybe on the order of 40-50 lbs. The contaminated water and air were unfortunately factual. This was happening in the 60’s if you happened to be living in the Appalachian foothill region in southeastern Ohio. So in reality things were never really that good, even though I perceived them to be idyllic because my only rule as an 8 year old was to be home by dark. The best time was riding bikes, on dirt coal paths carved through the abandoned strip-mines, with my friends. Ignorance really is bliss.

[ Edited: 12 February 2020 16:29 by proximacentauri]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

12 February 2020 18:18

proximacentauri - 12 February 2020 03:23 PM
LadyJane - 12 February 2020 01:38 PM

Those were the days.

Nice.

My version:

Good one. And actually, yes, you are correct. The catfish were never that large, maybe on the order of 40-50 lbs. The contaminated water and air were unfortunately factual. This was happening in the 60’s if you happened to be living in the Appalachian foothill region in southeastern Ohio. So in reality things were never really that good, even though I perceived them to be idyllic because my only rule as an 8 year old was to be home by dark. The best time was riding bikes, on dirt coal paths carved through the abandoned strip-mines, with my friends. Ignorance really is bliss.

Everything seems more idealistic when we feel free, I suppose.  And eight years old is the perfect age.  It’s roughly the age we acquire self awareness while not yet reaching the point of becoming jaded.  We appreciate that wide open spaces beat the hell out of a crowded concrete jungle any day.  At least you’ll be prepared for the dystopian wasteland that’s coming.

Those catfish seem nuclear meltdown huge.  It piqued my interest enough to look up what they eat.  Ahem…it may be our fault after all.  In a slightly different way.  I mean once you get drunk on fermented raisins and a have a taste of nicotine…the rest is bound to follow.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/61590/15-hilariously-effective-baits-used-fishermen

It’s a slippery slope.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

13 February 2020 10:35

Those were the days.

Near midnight, the campfire a faint glow of embers, falling asleep on the grass under alder saplings, the stars above the dark leaves become aware of themselves in a beneficent way.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1433
Joined  01-11-2014

13 February 2020 11:50

Everything reminds me of song lyrics lately…

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it’s sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I’d something more to say.

— Pink Floyd, “The Dark Side of the Moon”

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

13 February 2020 13:07

unsmoked - 13 February 2020 10:35 AM

Those were the days.

Near midnight, the campfire a faint glow of embers, falling asleep on the grass under alder saplings, the stars above the dark leaves become aware of themselves in a beneficent way.

Like fireflies flashing in the forest, and the gentle waves lapping on the shore, the Northern Lights shimmering magnetic skies, in a world that never showed itself before.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

14 February 2020 10:49

LadyJane - 13 February 2020 01:07 PM
unsmoked - 13 February 2020 10:35 AM

Those were the days.

Like fireflies flashing in the forest, and the gentle waves lapping on the shore, the Northern Lights shimmering magnetic skies, in a world that never showed itself before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QwiBFN9gI

< 1 2 3 >