had enough of the new music

crschaefer

crschaefer
Total Posts:  2
Joined  28-02-2020

28 February 2020 18:09

anyone else feeling increasingly annoyed by the lead in/out music over the last few months?  To me it’s catchy in an unpleasant way, harsh, shallow and repetitive, like it should accompany a first-grade video game rather than an intellectual conversation among adults.

But what’s the value added by music, any music?  Even a tune that I found pleasing, I wouldn’t welcome as an overlay to words that I want to pay attention to, or something that I have to sit through before each episode’s content.

The short/simple acoustic guitar strumming in older episodes was an inoffensive auditory separation between the intro and interview sections, but I imagine most subscribers are smart enough to notice when the interview starts even without something like that…

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  773
Joined  20-07-2017

29 February 2020 15:49

If I recall correctly, it was given to him by a fan, and maybe friend, who is a professional musician.  So, even if not perfect, to turn away such a valuable gift would be rude.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  01-11-2014

29 February 2020 16:15

I like the new Sam Harris lead in melody much more than his original dirge-like theme music that he used to have.

crschaefer

crschaefer
Total Posts:  2
Joined  28-02-2020

29 February 2020 20:42

mapadofu - 29 February 2020 03:49 PM

If I recall correctly, it was given to him by a fan, and maybe friend, who is a professional musician.  So, even if not perfect, to turn away such a valuable gift would be rude.

of course, I would argue the value of it grin  But my fear is that it’s already infected the same area of mind that houses the Brady Bunch and Gilligan’s Island theme songs, permanent earworms that (like Herpes) continually flare up to annoy me regardless of how many decades pass since my last exposure.  In which case I’m only venting, and gauging interest in a support group…

ImSeriously

ImSeriously
Total Posts:  7
Joined  28-02-2020

02 March 2020 10:13

It sounds like a damn shoe commercial. It’s terrible. And worse, he changed ALL the previous intros to this one. I went back for nostalgia of the old (infinitely superior) intro music, only for it to play me another shoe commercial…

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6546
Joined  22-02-2005

02 March 2020 11:32

He redid the back catalog? That is a commitment.

The Boss is tough to match up with an intro theme. The voice and manner should make sense as a sound that follows the theme and not be a jarring contrast.

The ominous synth theme made listeners expect either James Earl Jones or The End of the World. The acoustic guitar theme made listeners expect Barry Kibrick or someone with happier news. The new one raises expectations of a sportscaster’s cadence and punch. It would make a good intro for Sir Rush. My City Was Gone is a better fit for The Boss.

A good theme gets the wheel turning. The first uttered syllable should not be like sticking a fork in the spokes.

It’s a personal decision and we should all give it a chance. However, should it come up for renewal again, now is the time to suggest some guidelines.

Something not even slightly dance-able.

Something vaguely klezmer, like he is.

Something that segues nicely to an “oh-kaaay”

Any other suggestions?

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4947
Joined  19-08-2010

02 March 2020 12:33

Nhoj Morley - 02 March 2020 11:32 AM

...Any other suggestions?

Yes… theme tune from “The Archers”?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNEawM6vZf4

Well just the first 15 seconds would suffice don’t you agree!? Meh, no one actually listens to my suggestions these days, with any degree of seriousness anyway, not the kids or…

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  01-11-2014

03 March 2020 07:15

Nhoj Morley - 02 March 2020 11:32 AM

Any other suggestions?

Yes.

Nhoj, you seem to have a good handle on how to approach this, and you are an accomplished musician — why don’t you come up with a new Sam Harris lead-in melody?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6546
Joined  22-02-2005

03 March 2020 11:51

Thanks for that. I hope to accomplish some new stuff this year.

If asked, I would happily offer something fresh and customized, or an old jingle from the archives.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5305
Joined  28-05-2009

03 March 2020 14:02
himanshusag23

himanshusag23
Total Posts:  7
Joined  26-02-2020

06 March 2020 04:04

No, not at all. I mean Billie Eilish is great, twenty-one pilots are awesome and the forever Eminem. And if you go through some theme musics like Money heist Bella Ciao, rain of castamere they are tremendous.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  773
Joined  20-07-2017

24 March 2020 18:29

This is the whole song (I think)

https://youtu.be/UdLlUCkuH4w