#189- Wealth & Happiness A Conversation with Scott Galloway

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6546
Joined  22-02-2005

02 March 2020 13:45

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Scott Galloway about the connection between wealth and happiness. They discuss the problem of wealth inequality, the transfer of wealth from the young to the old, class warfare in Democratic politics, deficit spending, means testing Social Security, Bloomberg’s campaign and “stop and frisk,” breaking up big tech, privacy absolutism, meditation, mortality, atheism, and other topics.

#189- Wealth & Happiness A Conversation with Scott Galloway

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  773
Joined  20-07-2017

03 March 2020 05:28

Prof. G seems oblivious to the fact the part of the reason we can’t get the sensible reforms he’s talking about is because of the billionaires’ influence on politics via their money.

Also Sam’s concerns about people losing their homes to a wealth tax are silly given how high the floors on them are, e.g. Warren’s turns on at $50 million.

[ Edited: 03 March 2020 05:50 by mapadofu]

BarfootSage

BarfootSage
Total Posts:  68
Joined  08-12-2019

04 March 2020 17:35

An eco tax makes more sense to me.  Starting for corporations.  I really liked what Galloway had to say about tax reform.  ‘Regan’s one tax rate on money that you make.  The child’s earned income tax to assist with poverty.  Wealth taxes infringe on equal rights.’ 
I think what was said about the municipal level of the economy, regarding Bloomberg, was particularly relevant.  I like the idea of Municipal Legislature being more progressive in direct pro activism from realization and response to what actually develops and support community.  (Social services, infrastructure, Federal funding.)  I think on the municipal level gov. is bound to be more resilient in the era of climate change and can harbor mistakes more easily and turn them around without risk of financial volatility and provocation in the global economy (using war as a fall back).