How would you describe the solid core of Trump’s base?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9024
Joined  20-02-2006

05 March 2020 10:17

Would you agree that the solid core of Trump’s base are people who take it as a given that the Earth is for them to use up and profit from?  This way of life, as natural to Trump’s base as the air they breath, can be traced to the Bible and specifically Genesis 1:28 - 

God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

It is the opposite of environmentalism

environmentalism  -  noun

1.  concern about and action aimed at protecting the environment.

How would you describe the solid core of Trump’s base?

BarfootSage

BarfootSage
Total Posts:  68
Joined  08-12-2019

06 March 2020 02:39

Global Capitalism doesn’t stop this passage.
God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
When we continue to subdue the Earth by learning to become Stewards to both the Sociological and Ecological environments through practices like Permaculture we can reconstitute the Human-nature relation to harmony and peace in society.  This begins as Conscious and Ethical Consumers.  Trump acts as a surrogate [Un] Conscious Consumer for his base.

[ Edited: 07 March 2020 15:10 by BarfootSage]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

06 March 2020 11:02

BarfootSage - 06 March 2020 02:39 AM

Global Capitalism doesn’t stop this passage.
When we continue to subdue the Earth by learning to become Stewards to both the Sociological and Ecological environments through practices like Permaculture we can reconstitute the Human-nature relation to harmony and peace.  This begins as Conscious and Ethical Consumers.  Trump acts as a surrogate [Non] Conscious Consumer for his base.

You say, “This begins as Conscious and Ethical Consumers.  Trump acts as a surrogate [Non] Conscious Consumer for his base.”

This month’s Sierra Magazine reports that “Trump’s Energy Department rescinds a Bush-era ban on incandescent lightbulbs, which was to have taken effect on January 1.  The move will generate 38 million tons of CO2 annually and cost US consumers $14 billion a year.

The same issue reports that “the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s 2019 National Rreparedness Report, an annual review of threats to the nation, does not mention climate change or sea level rise.”

I wonder if similar agencies in Australia, or the city of Venice, Italy also neglect to mention climate change among the threats to their nation?

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5305
Joined  28-05-2009

06 March 2020 21:45

It would better if I didn’t.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  353
Joined  07-02-2017

07 March 2020 09:05

Recently I established a FB page for the sole purpose of finding and reconnecting to former HS and College classmates. I went to HS in Southeastern Ohio located in the Appalachian foothills, exhibiting a culture not unlike the stalwart Republican base of Southern Evangelicals.

Many former HS classmates of mine have become proud members of the Evangelical Trump base. They are pro-fossil fuels, especially coal, and anti-environmental.

They believe environmental regulation has greatly contributed to the demise of the economy in SE Ohio, but the economy was struggling long before any meaningful environmental regulation began in the 70s. And the area’s coal reserves were primarily exploited and depleted in decades past. There are additionally a couple of large coal burning power plants in the area.

The Gavin plant operated by AEP, made history in 2002 by buying out a small community (Cheshire, OH) that is located just next to the plant, where the residents appeared to develop high cancer rates.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/10/for-20-million-a-coal-utility-bought-an-ohio-town-and-a-clear-conscience/381499/

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

07 March 2020 10:26

proximacentauri - 07 March 2020 09:05 AM

Recently I established a FB page for the sole purpose of finding and reconnecting to former HS and College classmates. I went to HS in Southeastern Ohio located in the Appalachian foothills, exhibiting a culture not unlike the stalwart Republican base of Southern Evangelicals.

Many former HS classmates of mine have become proud members of the Evangelical Trump base. They are pro-fossil fuels, especially coal, and anti-environmental.

They believe environmental regulation has greatly contributed to the demise of the economy in SE Ohio, but the economy was struggling long before any meaningful environmental regulation began in the 70s. And the area’s coal reserves were primarily exploited and depleted in decades past. There are additionally a couple of large coal burning power plants in the area.

The Gavin plant operated by AEP, made history in 2002 by buying out a small community (Cheshire, OH) that is located just next to the plant, where the residents appeared to develop high cancer rates.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/10/for-20-million-a-coal-utility-bought-an-ohio-town-and-a-clear-conscience/381499/

A very telling post about your HS classmates in SE Ohio, and then the Atlantic article.  How will history see Trump’s promotion of coal?  Do you think the anti-environmentalists in ‘coal country’ - the solid core of Trump’s base, would be against learning how to build and maintain wind generators?  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/08/trumps-pledge-to-save-us-coal-is-failing-leaving-wyoming-in-crisis.html

Trump administration efforts to prop up the industry, which include replacing the Obama-era Clean Power Plan with the new Affordable Clean Energy Rule, giving states more flexibility to keep coal-fired power plants open, have thus far made little difference. That is because the economics increasingly favor natural gas and renewables.

A 2018 analysis by Lazard, a financial advisory and asset management firm, put the cost of coal power at between $60 and $143 per megawatt-hour. But newer technologies, like fracking, make natural gas considerably cheaper, at $41 to $74 per megawatt-hour. Wind energy is even cheaper, at $29 to $56.

Brick Bungalow (post #3 above)  abstained from answering the Topic Title question.  When 63 million people chose to vote for someone who promotes ‘black-lung’ industry and cancer-causing air pollution instead of cleaner, cheaper forms of energy production . . . how can you describe them?  Pro life?

Medical Definition of Black lung disease

Black lung disease: A disease of the lungs that is caused by inhaling coal dust, which in some patients can lead to progressive massive fibrosis of the lungs and severely impaired lung function. Also known as anthracosis and coal miner’s pneumoconiosis.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/03/25/oil-and-gas-giants-spend-millions-lobbying-to-block-climate-change-policies-infographic/#368976f67c4f

March 25, 2019 - Every year, the world’s five largest publicly owned oil and gas companies spend approximately $200 million on lobbying designed to control, delay or block binding climate-motivated policy.

[ Edited: 07 March 2020 10:49 by unsmoked]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  01-11-2014

07 March 2020 12:42

My suspicion, Unsmoked and Proxi, is that these people like where they live and they’ve made a bargain with the devil:

I’ll work and support the coal industry because there aren’t any other industries around here to keep me employed. And in return, I’ll let myself and my family be slowly poisoned by it, and not complain.

And I suppose believing in an afterlife where they will be rewarded with eternal happiness, helps lessen the cognitive dissonance of knowing they are allowing themselves to be slowly poisoned.

BarfootSage

BarfootSage
Total Posts:  68
Joined  08-12-2019

07 March 2020 15:16

This movie tackles the issue rather well.  A Historical Fiction.  Very worth watching.  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dark_waters_2019

[ Edited: 12 March 2020 13:40 by BarfootSage]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

08 March 2020 12:30

Cheshire Cat - 07 March 2020 12:42 PM

My suspicion, Unsmoked and Proxi, is that these people like where they live and they’ve made a bargain with the devil:

I’ll work and support the coal industry because there aren’t any other industries around here to keep me employed. And in return, I’ll let myself and my family be slowly poisoned by it, and not complain.

And I suppose believing in an afterlife where they will be rewarded with eternal happiness, helps lessen the cognitive dissonance of knowing they are allowing themselves to be slowly poisoned.

Right.  Chewing up the planet and spitting it out comes as natural to millions of Trump’s solid core as breathing toxic air from the coal-fired power plants. (“Ah!  The smell of money!”)  Christian song lyrics - “This world is not my home, I’m just passing through, my treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue.

To many of these 63 million voters, environmentalism (protecting the planet for future generations) is a hoax because Jesus is coming soon to end it all and take the chosen to Glory Land.

Meanwhile, Trump is off to some fresh air on the Florida coast to meet with Bolsonaro, the president of Brazil - one of his kindred spirits.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/21/jair-bolsonaro-accuses-ngos-setting-fire-amazon-rainforest

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2010/07/14/jesus-christs-return-to-earth/  Wait!  58% of white evangelicals say Jesus is coming soon?

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  01-11-2014

08 March 2020 13:33

Yes, and isn’t it convenient for them?

The “End Times” are happening now, so the Evangelical Death Cult doesn’t have to do anything but sit on their asses and pretend they will be the only ones saved from the coming catastrophe.

Delusion upon delusion.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

08 March 2020 13:46

BarfootSage - 07 March 2020 03:16 PM

This movie tackle the issue rather well.  Historical Fiction.  Very worth watching.  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dark_waters_2019

Thanks for mentioning Dark Waters.  I watched the trailer and will reserve DVD at library.  I see here that it’s based on a true story.  https://abcnews.go.com/US/dark-waters-star-mark-ruffalo-real-life-attorney/story?id=67303562

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

12 March 2020 12:43

“It’s fun to pretend that you know more than the experts.”  -  Twissel (writing in the 2020 topic)

Being convinced that you know more than scientists and experts is one of the characteristics of Trump and the solid core of his supporters.