Trump is irrelevant

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9867
Joined  20-10-2006

13 March 2020 23:21

Trump has been coasting through an uneventful presidency and taking all the credit for the stability of the last eight years, but then a real crisis hits to test his leadership skills and he has no idea what to do.  He has flailed through the corona virus epidemic expecting his boasts, head fakes, and lies to get him through like he thinks they have when the sailing was smooth, but when none of that works and we need real leadership, he punts.

No one takes him seriously, other world leaders have blatantly distanced themselves from him, and we are just waiting for him to be removed from office as a failure.  Hopefully Americans will take from their juvenile experiment of sticking an indignant finger in the eye of Washington politics the lesson that sideshow clowns are cute until the shit hits the fan.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3050
Joined  19-01-2015

14 March 2020 01:29

There is probably no other scenario that would be as effective in exposing the Trump Presidency as the Potemkin Village that it is.

BarfootSage

BarfootSage
Total Posts:  68
Joined  08-12-2019

14 March 2020 04:28

There is a difference between an uneventful presidency and how a president moves the country forward regarding the potential interdependent development of the country in the future.  1). Money cannot save us.  2). Technology cannot save us.  3) being globally connected cannot save us without passing the torch to the younger generation who actually can.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5305
Joined  28-05-2009

14 March 2020 22:08

Mmm. I wish I could concur. I think he was revealed as incompetent and dangerous well before his election. Some people even voted for him on that basis. The epidemic has certainly highlighted our need to not have such a leader in place but I don’t think it has changed many minds. I hope I’m wrong.

Sadly crisis situations rarely provoke rational choices. Authoritarian leaders in particular tend to capitalize on external threats quite effectively. I don’t know if Trump has the smarts to seize more power when the lights are off but I’m sure many senior Senators do and I’m betting they have Trumps ear.

While I acknowledge that the covid virus is a real threat I also think its being used for security theater right now. I believe some government officials are gauging the effectiveness of quarantine policies in terms of contagious containment. But others are gauging our unquestioning cooperation. I think the swings on wall street point to some real sinister manipulation as well. Now, I’m not qualified to say any of this with any authority. It’s just hunches. But lets watch it play out. Lets see how the issue impacts our ability to hold an election. Again, I hope I’m wrong.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9867
Joined  20-10-2006

15 March 2020 00:56

Brick Bungalow - 14 March 2020 10:08 PM

Mmm. I wish I could concur.

Well, we still have The South commemorating racist treason and the Nazi flag is still proudly waved, so, yeah, there will always be a large segment of the population who will swallow anything the party feeds them as they go down with the ship.  I hope the segment is too small to re-elect Putin.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  13-02-2017

15 March 2020 07:27

Skipshot - 13 March 2020 11:21 PM

Trump has been coasting through an uneventful presidency and taking all the credit for the stability of the last eight years, but then a real crisis hits to test his leadership skills and he has no idea what to do.  He has flailed through the corona virus epidemic expecting his boasts, head fakes, and lies to get him through like he thinks they have when the sailing was smooth, but when none of that works and we need real leadership, he punts.

No one takes him seriously, other world leaders have blatantly distanced themselves from him, and we are just waiting for him to be removed from office as a failure.  Hopefully Americans will take from their juvenile experiment of sticking an indignant finger in the eye of Washington politics the lesson that sideshow clowns are cute until the shit hits the fan.

Perfect, but for one quibble with the title.  Trump is irrelevant for leadership and solutions, but he is still relevant as the chief obstacle to both.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7896
Joined  22-02-2014

15 March 2020 08:24

Brick Bungalow - 14 March 2020 10:08 PM

Mmm. I wish I could concur. I think he was revealed as incompetent and dangerous well before his election. Some people even voted for him on that basis. The epidemic has certainly highlighted our need to not have such a leader in place but I don’t think it has changed many minds. I hope I’m wrong.

Sadly crisis situations rarely provoke rational choices. Authoritarian leaders in particular tend to capitalize on external threats quite effectively. I don’t know if Trump has the smarts to seize more power when the lights are off but I’m sure many senior Senators do and I’m betting they have Trumps ear.

While I acknowledge that the covid virus is a real threat I also think its being used for security theater right now. I believe some government officials are gauging the effectiveness of quarantine policies in terms of contagious containment. But others are gauging our unquestioning cooperation. I think the swings on wall street point to some real sinister manipulation as well. Now, I’m not qualified to say any of this with any authority. It’s just hunches. But lets watch it play out. Lets see how the issue impacts our ability to hold an election. Again, I hope I’m wrong.

A lot of big businesses are proactively suspending business - this is an expensive proposition for them. And the key word is PROACTIVELY. We’re being led by local and state governments and by businesses. (Not by the feds, of course.)

I’m not sure I understand the long term view of something like this virus? In the short term, tactics like social distancing CAN make a big difference in how quickly the virus spreads. But how about next year and the year after that? I haven’t had the flu in years and years. I don’t get flu shots. Is covid about as contagious as the flu we’re all used to?