MrRon - 25 March 2020 09:59 AM
TwoSeven1 - 25 March 2020 08:46 AM
MrRon - 24 March 2020 02:53 PM
TwoSeven1 - 24 March 2020 10:19 AM
MrRon - 24 March 2020 06:34 AM
TwoSeven1 - 23 March 2020 03:08 PM

I’m hoping that sharing this gem doesn’t get me censored or banned -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MPGw5Ucmwk8

If you hyper-critical forum-goers took a step back from criticising everything and everyone, you might become just a little bit happier.

How exactly does viewing a conspiracy theory by a political hack packaged as a whimsical parody as people die make one happier?

Ron

My point was that you may be happier if you dial back the criticism, not that the video would make you happier.  There’s a lot of criticism on this forum and it existed before the virus got on everyone’s radar.

Take the video how you will.

If there was a video of a song parody by a pundit on the left in which Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic was portrayed, would you endorse that as something to make people happier?

Ron

The video I shared wasn’t intended to make people happier.  Didn’t you read my response?

OK. But why THAT particular video? Would you post the exact same thing but with a link to a song parody by a pundit on the left in which Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic was portrayed?

Ron

“But why THAT particular video?”  Do I need to come to you for permission to share things?

What reason would I have to share some leftist video that I don’t care about?  You seem to have a very myopic view of things.

Well at least your agenda is clear.

And if calling out conspiracy theories by political hacks is myopic, then so be it.

Ron

Hahah what are you even talking about at this point?

Are you referring to this conspiracy theory? -

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/03/asia/coronavirus-doctor-whistle-blower-intl-hnk/index.html

Found it from a left-wing source, so Crowder must not be the only conspiracy theorist out there.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2039
Joined  14-08-2008

25 March 2020 14:40

TwoSeven1 - 25 March 2020 12:35 PM
MrRon - 25 March 2020 11:51 AM
TwoSeven1 - 25 March 2020 10:30 AM

If you hyper-critical forum-goers took a step back from criticising everything and everyone, you might become just a little bit happier.

How exactly does viewing a conspiracy theory by a political hack packaged as a whimsical parody as people die make one happier?

Ron

My point was that you may be happier if you dial back the criticism, not that the video would make you happier.  There’s a lot of criticism on this forum and it existed before the virus got on everyone’s radar.

If there was a video of a song parody by a pundit on the left in which Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic was portrayed, would you endorse that as something to make people happier?

Ron

The video I shared wasn’t intended to make people happier.  Didn’t you read my response?

OK. But why THAT particular video? Would you post the exact same thing but with a link to a song parody by a pundit on the left in which Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic was portrayed?

Ron

“But why THAT particular video?”  Do I need to come to you for permission to share things?

What reason would I have to share some leftist video that I don’t care about?  You seem to have a very myopic view of things.

And if calling out conspiracy theories by political hacks is myopic, then so be it.

Ron

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/03/asia/coronavirus-doctor-whistle-blower-intl-hnk/index.html

Found it from a left-wing source, so Crowder must not be the only conspiracy theorist out there.

First, it’s not as if CNN is extreme left-wing. They do lean left, but they can be (and often are) closer to center on the political spectrum.

And you’re missing the point. One of the lyrics in the song is:

“They called it just a slip”, implying the outbreak was intentional. THAT’S what the conspiracy theorists run with. I know because I’ve heard it in right-wing circles (some go so far as to say it was not only intentional, but was meant to kill Americans). And I’m sure Crowder knows the extent that the video could be interpreted. Also, he unjustifiably uses the term “Chinese AIDS”. Now, I’m not saying this stuff is impossible, I’m pointing out that until you have solid unambiguous evidence, these sorts of allegations will remain conspiracy theories.

Anyway, as I said before, your agenda is clear (and so is Crowder’s, who is a known bigot).

Ron

[ Edited: 25 March 2020 14:48 by MrRon]

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Total Posts:  402
Joined  18-12-2018

25 March 2020 15:34

MrRon - 25 March 2020 02:40 PM
TwoSeven1 - 25 March 2020 12:35 PM
MrRon - 25 March 2020 11:51 AM
TwoSeven1 - 25 March 2020 10:30 AM

Ron

Ron

Ron

Ron

First, it’s not as if CNN is extreme left-wing. They do lean left, but they can be (and often are) closer to center on the political spectrum.

And you’re missing the point. One of the lyrics in the song is:

“They called it just a slip”, implying the outbreak was intentional. THAT’S what the conspiracy theorists run with. I know because I’ve heard it in right-wing circles (some go so far as to say it was not only intentional, but was meant to kill Americans). And I’m sure Crowder knows the extent that the video could be interpreted. Also, he unjustifiably uses the term “Chinese AIDS”. Now, I’m not saying this stuff is impossible, I’m pointing out that until you have solid unambiguous evidence, these sorts of allegations will remain conspiracy theories.

Anyway, as I said before, your agenda is clear (and so is Crowder’s, who is a known bigot).

Ron

“First, it’s not as if CNN is extreme left-wing. They do lean left, but they can be (and often are) closer to center on the political spectrum.”

I didn’t imply that they are extreme.  They are simply on the left.  Some of the people who work there are far-left, but that wasn’t my point.

“And you’re missing the point. One of the lyrics in the song is:
‘They called it just a slip’, implying the outbreak was intentional. THAT’S what the conspiracy theorists run with.”

It doesn’t imply the outbreak was intentional.  It implies that the Chinese government tried to cover up their handling of the outbreak.  A lot of people did wonder if the virus is biological warfare, but that isn’t what Crowder is saying here.

“Also, he unjustifiably uses the term ‘Chinese AIDS’.”

He uses it that way to get a rise out of people of your perspective.  Crowder is well known to do things like this for comedy’s sake.  I don’t always like or agree with the things he does and says, but in this case I don’t care much.

“Anyway, as I said before, your agenda is clear (and so is Crowder’s, who is a known bigot).”

It’s not clear to me what you’re thinking my agenda is.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

25 March 2020 16:48

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

26 March 2020 14:35

TwoSeven1 - 25 March 2020 03:34 PM

“First, it’s not as if CNN is extreme left-wing. They do lean left, but they can be (and often are) closer to center on the political spectrum.”

I didn’t imply that they are extreme.  They are simply on the left.  Some of the people who work there are far-left, but that wasn’t my point.

“And you’re missing the point. One of the lyrics in the song is:
‘They called it just a slip’, implying the outbreak was intentional. THAT’S what the conspiracy theorists run with.”

It doesn’t imply the outbreak was intentional.  It implies that the Chinese government tried to cover up their handling of the outbreak.  A lot of people did wonder if the virus is biological warfare, but that isn’t what Crowder is saying here.

To you perhaps it doesn’t imply that the outbreak was intentional. But clearly that sort of messaging does imply it to some. Again, I’ve heard the insinuations from people on the right.   

“Also, he unjustifiably uses the term ‘Chinese AIDS’.”

He uses it that way to get a rise out of people of your perspective.  Crowder is well known to do things like this for comedy’s sake.  I don’t always like or agree with the things he does and says, but in this case I don’t care much.

OK. So now we know that Crowder makes unjustified statements in order to get a rise out of people for “comedy’s sake.”
And what is my “perspective”?

“Anyway, as I said before, your agenda is clear (and so is Crowder’s, who is a known bigot).”

It’s not clear to me what you’re thinking my agenda is.

To smuggle in the right-wing narrative under the guise of an ostensibly funny video.

Ron

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

26 March 2020 14:50

TwoSeven1 - 25 March 2020 04:48 PM

Ron, please watch this -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBhaQrxbzhc

Well, there’s a lot in that 19 minute video that could be discussed (some good and some bad), but for the sake of brevity I’ll just hit on a few of the major points and I’ll bypass the non-coronavirus issues he touched on (which could also be rebutted).

1) The Virus Naming Convention
I’ve already posted about the naming convention, so I’ll refer you to that. Also, the use of “Wuhan” or “Chinese” was employed relatively early on, when place of origin was more of a factor. In fact, the WHO didn’t officially designate the virus as “Covid-19” until February 11. However, given Trump’s strong nationalistic and anti-China stance (and his penchant for mockery and name calling), it served him to refer to it as the “Chinese virus”, or “foreign virus.” However, lately it appears he has refrained from doing that, perhaps under advisement of his staff or just as a result of the media backlash he’s received. So even he has adjusted his rhetoric.

2) The Asian Demonstrator
Crowder keeps replaying one clip of a random Asian demonstrator from some unknown location at some unknown demonstration saying “Donald Trump, don’t trust China… China is asshole.” As if that’s all there is to it and that settles it. In fact, Crowder’s entire 19 minute diatribe could well be summarized in that one 4 second clip (which was repeated about five times). That appears to be Crowder’s message in a nutshell. 

3)  The Whistleblower
Contrary to Crowder’s portrayal of the mainstream media not reporting about the Chinese doctor who blew the whistle on the quickly spreading disease, CNN, for one, reported on the whistleblower way back in early Feb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEUqCxP5Lvc&app=desktop

I think Crowder does make a valid point about some folks (and media) rushing to judgment. And I agree that we should treat China’s claims with caution and skepticism (as we should treat the claims of our own government, currently under the leadership of a known con man). I also agree that we should come together in the fight against the virus. But other than that, he makes some unchallenged assertions, throws in a strawman or two, and wants you to know that “China is asshole.”.

Now, if I were to post a 19 minute video from a different perspective, would you watch it?

Ron

[ Edited: 26 March 2020 14:57 by MrRon]

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

26 March 2020 14:54

MAGA Clown Says Blow-Drying Throat Cures Coronavirus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWlFOh9Y3XQ

Ron

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

26 March 2020 16:49

MrRon - 26 March 2020 02:50 PM
TwoSeven1 - 25 March 2020 04:48 PM

Ron, please watch this -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBhaQrxbzhc

Well, there’s a lot in that 19 minute video that could be discussed (some good and some bad), but for the sake of brevity I’ll just hit on a few of the major points and I’ll bypass the non-coronavirus issues he touched on (which could also be rebutted).

1) The Virus Naming Convention
I’ve already posted about the naming convention, so I’ll refer you to that. Also, the use of “Wuhan” or “Chinese” was employed relatively early on, when place of origin was more of a factor. In fact, the WHO didn’t officially designate the virus as “Covid-19” until February 11. However, given Trump’s strong nationalistic and anti-China stance (and his penchant for mockery and name calling), it served him to refer to it as the “Chinese virus”, or “foreign virus.” However, lately it appears he has refrained from doing that, perhaps under advisement of his staff or just as a result of the media backlash he’s received. So even he has adjusted his rhetoric.

2) The Asian Demonstrator
Crowder keeps replaying one clip of a random Asian demonstrator from some unknown location at some unknown demonstration saying “Donald Trump, don’t trust China… China is asshole.” As if that’s all there is to it and that settles it. In fact, Crowder’s entire 19 minute diatribe could well be summarized in that one 4 second clip (which was repeated about five times). That appears to be Crowder’s message in a nutshell. 

3)  The Whistleblower
Contrary to Crowder’s portrayal of the mainstream media not reporting about the Chinese doctor who blew the whistle on the quickly spreading disease, CNN, for one, reported on the whistleblower way back in early Feb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEUqCxP5Lvc&app=desktop

I think Crowder does make a valid point about some folks (and media) rushing to judgment. And I agree that we should treat China’s claims with caution and skepticism (as we should treat the claims of our own government, currently under the leadership of a known con man). I also agree that we should come together in the fight against the virus. But other than that, he makes some unchallenged assertions, throws in a strawman or two, and wants you to know that “China is asshole.”.

Now, if I were to post a 19 minute video from a different perspective, would you watch it?

Ron

“1) The Virus Naming Convention”

I’m fine with you or others pointing out a scientific naming convention.  My point is that I don’t care if Trump refers to it as the “Chinese Virus.”  He’s not a racist for calling it that.

“2) The Asian Demonstrator”

You’re nitpicking a comedy show that is intended for a specific audience.  If you don’t think it’s funny, then you don’t think it’s funny.  I don’t have much else to say to this point.

“3)  The Whistleblower”

I put a link in a response to you that showed CNN’s coverage as well.  If Crowder’s claim is that no MSM outlets covered the whistle-blower, then he’s incorrect.  However, I don’t think that’s what he’s saying.  His point is that the American MSM flipflops narratives to fit what’s convenient for them in their fight against Trump.

His main points are:
1. China attempted to suppress/cover up the outbreak.
2. The American MSM is full of hypocricy over the terminology of the virus.
3. The American MSM is now biting into a communist regime’s narrative because they don’t like Trump.

“And I agree that we should treat China’s claims with caution and skepticism…”

I’m sincerely glad we agree on this!

“I also agree that we should come together in the fight against the virus.”

I think it’s safe to say that most Americans feel the same way.

“Now, if I were to post a 19 minute video from a different perspective, would you watch it?”

As a show of good faith I’ll watch the video you shared later today or tomorrow and provide feedback.

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

27 March 2020 05:54

TwoSeven1 - 26 March 2020 04:49 PM

I’m fine with you or others pointing out a scientific naming convention.  My point is that I don’t care if Trump refers to it as the “Chinese Virus.”  He’s not a racist for calling it that.

Maybe not for this instance. Maybe. But he IS a known racist. And a harsh critic of China. So as I said before, he made his bed and now he must lie in it. Repeatedly referring to it as “The Chinese Virus” isn’t helping his cause.

You’re nitpicking a comedy show that is intended for a specific audience.  If you don’t think it’s funny, then you don’t think it’s funny.  I don’t have much else to say to this point.

Whether it’s funny or not is irrelevant. My point was that this appears to be Crowder’s entire diatribe in a nutshell.

“3)  The Whistleblower”

I put a link in a response to you that showed CNN’s coverage as well.  If Crowder’s claim is that no MSM outlets covered the whistle-blower, then he’s incorrect.  However, I don’t think that’s what he’s saying.  His point is that the American MSM flipflops narratives to fit what’s convenient for them in their fight against Trump.

His main points are:
3. The American MSM is now biting into a communist regime’s narrative because they don’t like Trump.

Do you think the pro-Trump media flip flops to fit what’s convenient for them in their support of Trump? Do you think Trump himself flip flops? Do you think there is hypocrisy at all on the right?

And do you agree that we should treat the claims of our own government, currently under the leadership of a known liar and con man, with caution and skepticism as well?

“Now, if I were to post a 19 minute video from a different perspective, would you watch it?”

As a show of good faith I’ll watch the video you shared later today or tomorrow and provide feedback.

No… that last video I posted is NOT the “19 minute video” I was referring to. In fact, I don’t have a specific video in mind yet - I was just checking to see if you would be amenable to the idea. If so, I’ll see if I can dig something up.

Ron

[ Edited: 27 March 2020 06:03 by MrRon]

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

27 March 2020 06:05

Sorry, conspiracy theorists. Study concludes COVID-19 is not a laboratory construct.

Conspiracy theories claiming COVID-19 was engineered in a lab as part of a biological attack on the United States have been gaining traction online in recent weeks, but a new study on the origins of the virus has concluded that the pandemic-causing strain developed naturally.”

Full article:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/sorry-conspiracy-theorists-study-concludes-covid-19-not-090026698—abc-news-topstories.html

Ron

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

27 March 2020 09:14

MrRon - 26 March 2020 02:54 PM

Ron

Hahah this video actually did make me laugh…  The blowdryer idea is pitiful but funny!  Things like that absolutely need to be corrected.  No argument from me.  Seems like common sense is severely lacking these days.

If Trump supports the network that is supposed to have propogated that idea, then it’s obvious that he should pull back support.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

27 March 2020 09:14

MrRon - 27 March 2020 05:54 AM
TwoSeven1 - 26 March 2020 04:49 PM

Maybe not for this instance. Maybe. But he IS a known racist. And a harsh critic of China. So as I said before, he made his bed and now he must lie in it. Repeatedly referring to it as “The Chinese Virus” isn’t helping his cause.

Whether it’s funny or not is irrelevant. My point was that this appears to be Crowder’s entire diatribe in a nutshell.

“3)  The Whistleblower”

His main points are:

Do you think the pro-Trump media flip flops to fit what’s convenient for them in their support of Trump? Do you think Trump himself flip flops? Do you think there is hypocrisy at all on the right?

And do you agree that we should treat the claims of our own government, currently under the leadership of a known liar and con man, with caution and skepticism as well?

No… that last video I posted is NOT the “19 minute video” I was referring to. In fact, I don’t have a specific video in mind yet - I was just checking to see if you would be amenable to the idea. If so, I’ll see if I can dig something up.

Ron

“Maybe. But he IS a known racist. And a harsh critic of China.”

So, he believes that certain people groups are superior or inferior to others based on their race/skin color?

If he’s a harsh critic of Chinese government then I like him all the more.

“My point was that this appears to be Crowder’s entire diatribe in a nutshell.”

Yeah, his main point is that the Chinese government is bad.

“Do you think the pro-Trump media flip flops to fit what’s convenient for them in their support of Trump? Do you think Trump himself flip flops? Do you think there is hypocrisy at all on the right?”

Of course there is hypocricy on the right.  I didn’t expressly exclude the right when I said the American MSM.  You understood what I meant, though, when I was making my point, because no one is saying that the right is buying into a communist regime’s narrative.

Does the right-leaning MSM flipflop?  Yes they do, but they tend to not be as committed to a narrative like the left is because they mostly reject political-correctness.

“And do you agree that we should treat the claims of our own government, currently under the leadership of a known liar and con man, with caution and skepticism as well?”

It’s ridiculous of you to ask me a loaded question about Trump and ask if I agree.  I agree that we should think for ourselves about any claim from any government, but I do not agree that we should assume Trump is a liar and conman.  We should think for ourselves about what he says, absolutely.  We don’t need to assume that he is evil if he says incorrect things.

Should Trump be more careful with what he says?  Absolutely.  Should the public look to Trump as the supreme guidance for their lives?  Absolutely not.  That’s not what his office is for.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

27 March 2020 09:18

Unrelated to the discussion -

I watched 1917 yesterday and I highly recommend it!  Kept my attention the whole time.

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

27 March 2020 15:05

TwoSeven1 - 27 March 2020 09:14 AM
MrRon - 26 March 2020 02:54 PM

Ron

If Trump supports the network that is supposed to have propogated that idea, then it’s obvious that he should pull back support.

From Business Insider:
https://www.businessinsider.com/one-america-news-donald-trump-news-network-2019-10

Ron

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

27 March 2020 15:31

TwoSeven1 - 27 March 2020 09:14 AM

“Maybe. But he IS a known racist. And a harsh critic of China.”

So, he believes that certain people groups are superior or inferior to others based on their race/skin color?

Seriously? You have to ask?

“Do you think the pro-Trump media flip flops to fit what’s convenient for them in their support of Trump? Do you think Trump himself flip flops? Do you think there is hypocrisy at all on the right?”

Of course there is hypocricy on the right.  I didn’t expressly exclude the right when I said the American MSM.  You understood what I meant, though, when I was making my point, because no one is saying that the right is buying into a communist regime’s narrative.

There is narrative out of China and narrative out of Washington as well. 

Does the right-leaning MSM flipflop?  Yes they do, but they tend to not be as committed to a narrative like the left is because they mostly reject political-correctness.

???

“And do you agree that we should treat the claims of our own government, currently under the leadership of a known liar and con man, with caution and skepticism as well?”

It’s ridiculous of you to ask me a loaded question about Trump and ask if I agree.  I agree that we should think for ourselves about any claim from any government, but I do not agree that we should assume Trump is a liar and conman.

No assumptions are necessary. The facts are there for everyone to see. This stuff is well documented, so to deny it would be sheer lunacy.

We should think for ourselves about what he says, absolutely.  We don’t need to assume that he is evil if he says incorrect things.
Should Trump be more careful with what he says?  Absolutely.  Should the public look to Trump as the supreme guidance for their lives?  Absolutely not.  That’s not what his office is for.

It’s not necessarily about “saying incorrect things” (although he does plenty of that too). It’s about his actions. To me, running a scam charity that rips off veterans and children IS bordering on evil. Running a fraudulent university borders on evil. Calling for exonerated prisoners to be executed even AFTER they were exonerated borders on evil. Making lewd remarks about your own daughter borders on evil. Bragging about grabbing women’s pussies without waiting borders on evil. Exhibiting racist and bigoted behavior borders on evil. Denigrating American prisoners of war borders on evil. And on and on.

Ron

‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 >