Are Atheists Sometimes More Religious than Christians?

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3353
Joined  26-01-2010

22 March 2020 21:30

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/atheists-are-sometimes-more-religious-than-christians?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Atlantic Monthly article about research comparing Europeans and Americans. The gist is that American atheists tend to be more religiously-oriented (a self-admitted slippery classification) than European Christians. There’s not a lot of meat, but there are references.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9867
Joined  20-10-2006

23 March 2020 08:27

Americans, again, are inconsistent and vague.  It’s hard to believe anyone takes us seriously.  Religion is so strong here that the unbelievers still believe.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4947
Joined  19-08-2010

23 March 2020 10:49

Skipshot - 23 March 2020 08:27 AM

Americans, again, are inconsistent and vague.  It’s hard to believe anyone takes us seriously…

Well there’s a thing Skip. But you do have a bigger stick.

Poldano

Poldano
Joined  26-01-2010

25 March 2020 01:54

Americans, again, are inconsistent and vague.  It’s hard to believe anyone takes us seriously.  Religion is so strong here that the unbelievers still believe.

I didn’t get the perception that the article’s characterization of American atheists was about believing per se, but more a yearning for something. Perhaps that yearning is for believing, but perhaps not. I hope that others would know better than I.

As the article says, religion offers something more than just a belief system, or a mirror of our own opinions. One of those things is a sense of identity, which stated rather brutally is a socially-approved label one can apply to oneself, that also allows one to consider oneself a member of a recognized social group. Is this what is being yearned for, or is there something else?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9867
Joined  20-10-2006

25 March 2020 06:49

Poldano - 25 March 2020 01:54 AM

I didn’t get the perception that the article’s characterization of American atheists was about believing per se, but more a yearning for something. Perhaps that yearning is for believing, but perhaps not. I hope that others would know better than I.

As the article says, religion offers something more than just a belief system, or a mirror of our own opinions. One of those things is a sense of identity, which stated rather brutally is a socially-approved label one can apply to oneself, that also allows one to consider oneself a member of a recognized social group. Is this what is being yearned for, or is there something else?

The best way to respond to your assumption is to take a survey.

Poldano

Poldano
Joined  26-01-2010

26 March 2020 23:06

Skipshot - 25 March 2020 06:49 AM
Poldano - 25 March 2020 01:54 AM

The best way to respond to your assumption is to take a survey.

I am skeptical of that. Survey results consist of the labels that people apply to themselves. What I am after is the motivation underlying the labels.