Are Atheists Sometimes More Religious than Christians?

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3465
Joined  26-01-2010

22 March 2020 21:30

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/atheists-are-sometimes-more-religious-than-christians?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Atlantic Monthly article about research comparing Europeans and Americans. The gist is that American atheists tend to be more religiously-oriented (a self-admitted slippery classification) than European Christians. There’s not a lot of meat, but there are references.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10086
Joined  20-10-2006

23 March 2020 08:27

Americans, again, are inconsistent and vague.  It’s hard to believe anyone takes us seriously.  Religion is so strong here that the unbelievers still believe.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5013
Joined  19-08-2010

23 March 2020 10:49

Skipshot - 23 March 2020 08:27 AM

Americans, again, are inconsistent and vague.  It’s hard to believe anyone takes us seriously…

Well there’s a thing Skip. But you do have a bigger stick.

Poldano

Poldano
Joined  26-01-2010

25 March 2020 01:54

Americans, again, are inconsistent and vague.  It’s hard to believe anyone takes us seriously.  Religion is so strong here that the unbelievers still believe.

I didn’t get the perception that the article’s characterization of American atheists was about believing per se, but more a yearning for something. Perhaps that yearning is for believing, but perhaps not. I hope that others would know better than I.

As the article says, religion offers something more than just a belief system, or a mirror of our own opinions. One of those things is a sense of identity, which stated rather brutally is a socially-approved label one can apply to oneself, that also allows one to consider oneself a member of a recognized social group. Is this what is being yearned for, or is there something else?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10086
Joined  20-10-2006

25 March 2020 06:49

Poldano - 25 March 2020 01:54 AM

I didn’t get the perception that the article’s characterization of American atheists was about believing per se, but more a yearning for something. Perhaps that yearning is for believing, but perhaps not. I hope that others would know better than I.

As the article says, religion offers something more than just a belief system, or a mirror of our own opinions. One of those things is a sense of identity, which stated rather brutally is a socially-approved label one can apply to oneself, that also allows one to consider oneself a member of a recognized social group. Is this what is being yearned for, or is there something else?

The best way to respond to your assumption is to take a survey.

Poldano

Poldano
Joined  26-01-2010

26 March 2020 23:06

Skipshot - 25 March 2020 06:49 AM
Poldano - 25 March 2020 01:54 AM

The best way to respond to your assumption is to take a survey.

I am skeptical of that. Survey results consist of the labels that people apply to themselves. What I am after is the motivation underlying the labels.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5399
Joined  28-05-2009

05 April 2020 22:10

I think it’s probably fair to say that Americans in general are more dogmatic and partisan and tribal than western europeans. It probably tracks with lower average education. Less appreciation for international culture. Lack of the reflection supplied by losing a war… those kinds of things. If that’s true than American atheists, on balance are this way to a greater degree than European counter parts. Calling this ‘religious’ seems like kind of a low blow, perhaps fitting.

Now, this is mostly just my personal intuition and experience. With some cherry picked statistics I can pull from a hat. Could be totally false given a real investigation.