#194- The New Future of Work A Conversation with Matt Mullenweg

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6546
Joined  22-02-2005

24 March 2020 20:01

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Matt Mullenweg about the evolution of distributed work. They discuss the benefits of working from home, the new norms of knowledge work, relevant tools and security concerns, the challenges for managers, the importance of written communication, the necessity of innovating in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, delivery networks as critical infrastructure, economic recovery, and other topics.

#194- The New Future of Work A Conversation with Matt Mullenweg

This thread is for listeners’ comments

BarfootSage

BarfootSage
Total Posts:  68
Joined  08-12-2019

26 March 2020 15:04

“Autonomy - the freedom and agency to control your environment to be able to get your work done as effectively as possible.” 
My response to this is that ‘Autonomy’ is a privilege in contemporary society.  As is driving a vehicle and a job (both of which are easy to forgo to complacency without individual proactive ethics.)

“To put all your faith in the wall.”
My response to this is that those who are doing this are in effect leaning on technology in some way illegitimately.  Call it Trumponian if you will. 

Because Emojis can be used to both effectively close correspondences and add an extra emotional dynamic to a correspondence it makes using them a ‘second order of thinking’ -a mental model. 

**note taken down which was a bit off topic:  The ‘Pandemic’ is an opportunity for people to reevaluate the priority they have assigned to their health in their lives.  (This applies to a comprehensive understanding of health including the Bio/Psycho/Social model.). Social norms can and should be reevaluated post pandemic both good and bad ones as an opportunity to improve ones quality of life.  Healthy boundaries, etc..

**An Era of Climate Change suggests a paradigm shift is occurring.  Thus, this pandemic is apocalyptic.  If we are to learn from the pandemic as well as every natural disaster we recover from in this era of climate change we are in effect becoming stronger in adversity.  Within the context of community this can be considered a process in developing robustness.  In recovering from the pandemic ‘Start with the End in Mind.’  (One of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.”)

Working from home is community minded.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6546
Joined  22-02-2005

26 March 2020 17:09

I have been working from home for seven years. It is mostly cool.

It was not an easy sell. The lads are filled with every imaginable stigma. I said it was for medical reasons and the only terms on which I would continue. A further factor was the deafening hate radio and horrifying water-cooler chats. Plus, we needed a black room for fixture testing and I already had one.

On the down side, the house is overrun with light fixtures, circuit boards and random chunks of pvc. Stuff comes for testing but rarely leaves. It makes my post something of an ambulance station because I am, technically, always at my post.

There is no one else in the company who works from home. They have to go to the office or the shop. Nothing I’ve done is the past could be a home job.

Work is a change of scenery and a chance to get away from domestic strife. Some days are like a war on two fronts.

I get to work at level five. That is the best part.

In a post-trumpolyptic economy, we may all have the same home job- subsistence farming.