Stuart Stevens is not kidding

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6693
Joined  22-02-2005

01 April 2020 12:47

It is hard to imagine what would be appropriate for this April Fool’s Day but one new book might do nicely. The basic task of the tradition is to reveal that someone has been fooled or spoofed. In our climate of pan-information, who would notice a day with an extra reveal?

Republican strategist Stuart Stevens provides a noticeable reveal that many of us were sure was there all along in a new book called “It Was All a Lie: How the Republican Party Became Donald Trump”.

In case you are thinking I’ve made this up for some seasonal foolishness, check out this interview from Amanpour and Co.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5453
Joined  28-05-2009

02 April 2020 10:17

I appreciate anyone who is forthright about the weaknesses of their own faction. That kind of honesty is almost non existent in our current paradigm. It’s especially frustrating for me to hear elected officials going on record AFTER their term is up about problems within their own party. The implication being that its functionally impossible to be reflective and self critical while in office. The further implication being that the public really has no appetite or tolerance for unpleasant truths. We can recognize spin but only when it comes from the opposing faction… which, of course gives shade and cover to the duplicity of both factions.

I really hope that the old guard of both parties lose their grip in my lifetime.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3693
Joined  26-03-2013

02 April 2020 10:35

“Madness in individuals is something rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs, it is the rule.”  – Friedrich Nietzsche

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10195
Joined  20-10-2006

04 April 2020 10:32

I’m confused.  Mr. Stevens worked very hard and was very successful to shape the GOP as it is today, and now he regrets it?  What did he expect would happen when he worked to discredit government?