1 2 3 >  Last ›

Covid19 Psychological Impact

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6578
Joined  31-01-2012

01 April 2020 18:33

So far as I can tell it started out triggering people’s denial over something that could possibly cause this much lifestyle interference.

I think that we’re currently in the middle of accepting how much we don’t want to be inconvenienced by possibly dying, but still coming up short of actually grappling with the issue of being impermanent beings.

I’m predicting that the next wave will be reflecting on our fears, true or not, political or natural, but nevertheless too close to home not to confront.

Any thoughts?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

02 April 2020 02:10

Right now most people are in hero mode, the news is straight out of Starship Troopers; They are doing their part, are you, click to lean more. When it’s over the heroes who lost it all will be whining that they are owed and the winners that they shouldn’t have to pay for them.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

02 April 2020 06:35

GAD - 02 April 2020 02:10 AM

Right now most people are in hero mode, the news is straight out of Starship Troopers; They are doing their part, are you, click to lean more. When it’s over the heroes who lost it all will be whining that they are owed and the winners that they shouldn’t have to pay for them.

I agree that the blame game is on high alert. Ironically because people can’t be around each other, the written blame game is the only tool a lot of people have right now. Still there’s a lot of blame to go around, no?

Some are saying that we’ll come out the other end of this a kinder gentler beast. I’m skeptical.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Total Posts:  1262
Joined  13-02-2017

02 April 2020 06:38

This pandemic has turned my attention from the psychology underlying the “woke” to the psychology underlying their counterparts among the conservative mind.  While the “woke” and the SJW’s are driven by a sense of being better than others and the feeling of being justified in imposing their vision of social ordering onto them, during this pandemic their counterparts among conservatives have been plugging their fingers in their ears and covering their eyes to deny that it represents a threat either to their way of life, or to what they have.  I see it over and over again.  La la la it’s panic and hype.  La la la it’s anti-Trump Democratic hysteria.  La la la we have to protect the economy over protecting lives.  It’s like come hell or high water nothing is going to threaten what they have, and to protect it—to “conserve it,” if you will—they will deny, deny, deny the magnitude of the pandemic itself and/or disregard, disregard, disregard its costs in human life.  In retrospect I think this tendency to conserve and preserve above all else has always been there; it’s just that right now circumstances make it more salient than the “woke” were just a few months ago.

For me, noting these contrasting tendencies has been, simultaneously, the most depressing and the most enchanting silver lining to the current madness.  Whereas just a few months ago I was gagging over the “woke” and their bullshit, now I’m gagging over the conservatives and theirs.  And while I’d rather not be gagging at all, and while I’d rather—of course—people not die and economies not get disrupted, since dealing with both is no longer an option I am somewhat enchanted by the parity of psychological and emotional tendencies now observable between the pathologically liberal and the pathologically conservative.  It’s almost like fate has aligned so that within the span of two months one has no choice but to witness the aberrant disintegrations of both necessary political and psychological tendencies—conservatism and liberalism.

No comment on which pathology is worse.  One makes up the reality it needs in order to justify itself and the other denies the reality that threatens it in order to justify itself.  Circumstances, not innate potential, render one or the other a bigger problem at any given time. 

That said, when lives are at stake—as opposed to free speech, careers, and university curricula—it’s sure hard not to see one as a bigger problem than the other…

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7304
Joined  15-02-2007

02 April 2020 07:28

Jb8989 - 02 April 2020 06:35 AM

Some are saying that we’ll come out the other end of this a kinder gentler beast. I’m skeptical.

We could.
It’s an existential choice. We don’t ‘have’ to be shits to each other…

One thing we are definitely learning is that the essential folks are not the CEO’s and middle-managers, but rather the supply-chain, services delivery and emergency services folks.

I think we’re also learning that aged work-a-day tropes are largely fabrications.  eLife (work, rest, play, learning) could experience a post-pandemic surge.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

02 April 2020 07:32

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 02 April 2020 06:38 AM

No comment on which pathology is worse.

IMHO

The will to impose ideology upon others is the key component.
If one does not wish to be so imposed upon - regardless of the camp from which the imposition occurs - there will be resistance and negative emotions.  AND both camps display tendencies to imposition.

IMHO

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

02 April 2020 07:41

Jefe, Anal,

Maybe the way the system is set up gives us very few options but to be pathologically partisan. Maybe centrists will rise up?

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

02 April 2020 07:45

Jb8989 - 02 April 2020 07:41 AM

Jefe, Anal,

Maybe the way the system is set up gives us very few options but to be pathologically partisan. Maybe centrists will rise up?

I’d agree that there were structures built-up that seemed to favour partisanship in the short term. 
I think options may have appeared limited due to heavy lobbying from those with interests vested in the status quo.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

02 April 2020 09:38

I agree that the blame game is on high alert. Ironically because people can’t be around each other, the written blame game is the only tool a lot of people have right now. Still there’s a lot of blame to go around, no?

I’ll just flat out say that that we’ll be at each others throats all the more so.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

02 April 2020 15:32

GAD - 02 April 2020 09:38 AM

I’ll just flat out say that that we’ll be at each others throats all the more so.

Don’t forget about the super passive aggressive types. They’re sure to be at the pity party.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

02 April 2020 15:55

How about this for a fun psychological fact: Hobby jogging is still up during the Covid. Hobby joggers are not road racers, marathon or track runners. They’re a particular demographic that runs with what serious running community calls LSD, which stands for Long Slow Distance. By itself, long slow distance isn’t a good recipe for making you a great runner because you use almost no fast twitch muscle fiber, but that’s not why these guys do it. I think they just like to run long distances with the wind in their hair and whatnot.

Hobby Joggers can be serious runners, too, they’re just not fast nor have the desire to race. Regardless, hobby joggers are still out and about going on very long slow distance-socially-distanced long runs, even in hot spots. They’re out and about cruising around, probably not worried about a care in the the world, because you have to ask yourself, what type of personality likes to spend hours a day just one foot in front of the other with nothing but your thoughts and the road ahead of you. I imagine that they’re a group that’s particularly good with the type of isolation going on.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

02 April 2020 16:29

Jefe - 02 April 2020 07:45 AM
Jb8989 - 02 April 2020 07:41 AM

Jefe, Anal,

I’d agree that there were structures built-up that seemed to favour partisanship in the short term. 
I think options may have appeared limited due to heavy lobbying from those with interests vested in the status quo.

I think you’re right. I like the quote from the movie High Flying Bird. You ever see it? Anyway, it’s based loosely off of one of the better player’s agents’ in the NBA. The agent’s mentor was this basketball OG who said that “they built a game on top of the game” - referring to the NBA corporation on top of a bunch of adults who were just talented enough to play the kids games the longest.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

02 April 2020 16:46

Jb8989 - 02 April 2020 03:55 PM

How about this for a fun psychological fact: Hobby jogging is still up during the Covid. Hobby joggers are not road racers, marathon or track runners. They’re a particular demographic that runs with what serious running community calls LSD, which stands for Long Slow Distance. By itself, long slow distance isn’t a good recipe for making you a great runner because you use almost no fast twitch muscle fiber, but that’s not why these guys do it. I think they just like to run long distances with the wind in their hair and whatnot.

Hobby Joggers can be serious runners, too, they’re just not fast nor have the desire to race. Regardless, hobby joggers are still out and about going on very long slow distance-socially-distanced long runs, even in hot spots. They’re out and about cruising around, probably not worried about a care in the the world, because you have to ask yourself, what type of personality likes to spend hours a day just one foot in front of the other with nothing but your thoughts and the road ahead of you. I imagine that they’re a group that’s particularly good with the type of isolation going on.

I’m out getting my 6 miles in everyday, lots of people out walking now, we all walk 6 feet out when passing.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8118
Joined  22-02-2014

02 April 2020 20:25

I suspect that in the aftermath we’ll learn that people in better health fared better.

I wonder if that will cause people to pursue healthier lifestyles?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

02 April 2020 20:40

icehorse - 02 April 2020 08:25 PM

I suspect that in the aftermath we’ll learn that people in better health fared better.

LOL! We live in a world where poor choice lifestyles are celebrated as being people positive.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8118
Joined  22-02-2014

02 April 2020 20:51

GAD - 02 April 2020 08:40 PM
icehorse - 02 April 2020 08:25 PM

LOL! We live in a world where poor choice lifestyles are celebrated as being people positive.

We did indeed.

1 2 3 >  Last ›