Checking in With The Socially Anxious During Social Distancing

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6578
Joined  31-01-2012

13 April 2020 20:02

Do you think they’re having an absolutely delightful time?

“Did I hear you correctly, everyone should stand way back?”

(Grins)

“You mean to tell me no more hugs hello?”

(Realizing excitement)

“Can we quit small talk!?”

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1579
Joined  01-11-2014

14 April 2020 11:31

There’s an online community bulletin board where I live called Nextdoor. I have a look at it once in a while.

People post a wide variety of topics on it: from lost pets and “where can I find a good plumber,” to public notices from the local police and city council people.

The hottest topic at the moment is: Should people wear face masks outside?

I did a little internet snooping about the topic, and from what I can tell, there is no reason to wear a face mask outside unless you come in close proximity to other people. Some authorities suggest doing so, but it is not mandatory, unlike when one goes into an indoor business such as a grocery store where you must wear a face mask by law.

But this doesn’t matter. Some people are adamant that others wear face masks outside under all conditions. Some have written that even if there is no scientific reason to wear a mask outside, you should do it anyway to alleviate other people’s fear.

Toilet paper and paper towel hoarding; stockpiling of disinfectant; panic buying of canned food — this is still the norm, even though I suspect people’s garages must be ceiling high with these items by now. In my view, this compulsive buying and hoarding is all about relieving the sense of helplessness and anxiety that people feel.

Now, I’m adding the Outdoor Mask Police to the list.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6578
Joined  31-01-2012

14 April 2020 13:47

There was something really hard for some people to go from comfortably numb to cautious. They seemed to overcompensate when they recognize they’ve been sleeping.