Psychedelics For Depression Or Other Mental Health Problems

Imaginos

Imaginos
Total Posts:  2
Joined  26-10-2017

16 April 2020 13:03

I’m someone who suffers from depression and constantly thinking about negative things in the past and now want to try treatment with psychedelics, having heard all of Sams discussion on the subject.
I’ve never taken any psychedelics before so I’m curious about other peoples views and experiences on them.
I’m thinking of going to Netherlands to get treatment with psilocybin with a health professional, where its totally legal.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3465
Joined  26-01-2010

16 April 2020 22:53

In my experience, psilocybin is benign relative to some other psychedelics. I don’t think it’s a certain cure for depression, and not an indefinite prophylactic against it. For some people, the sensory and emotional effects can jog them out of implicit assumptions such as “what you see is what you get.” Others may find the experience quite horrific, but this is actually less so for psilocybin than for LSD, for example. Assuming the administering therapist is competent, the therapeutic environment should be the safest way to undergo the experience. It’s certainly less risky than a raucous college dormitory on a weekend.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8118
Joined  22-02-2014

18 April 2020 08:42

The old adage is “set and setting”. This refers to the mindset one has going into a psychedelic experience, and the physical setting in which it occurs. In my experience, a well planned trip can indeed be a positive life-changing experience that can shift one’s perspective for the rest of their lives. Another old adage is something like: “You never come entirely down from a great trip”.  smile

So, no matter where you do this, I think the following checklist is important for a positive experience:

- Your mindset should be open, humble, and appreciative.
- You need an experienced guide whom you trust completely.
- You should do a dietary cleanse for a few days before the trip. No dairy, little or no meat. No sugar, and so on.
- The setting should be clean, beautiful, and safe. You must have no worries of being interrupted.
- I’m on the fence about music, but I think I slightly favor including music in the experience, with a few caveats:
  - only instrumental, no lyrics, and keep the volume on the quite “background music” level.
  - I would prefer gently cheerful. Andreas Vollenweider for example.
  - your guide has to take care of the music, and they have to do a seamless job of transitions from album to album - again, you do not want to feel interrupted!
- your guide should have a very clean meal prepared for afterwards: nuts and fruit and such.
- you should have extremely clean water available, no chlorinated tap water!
- wear comfortable clothes and have blankets ready.
- treat this as an extremely rare, special occasion (which it is). Take a shower first smile
- if possible, the location should make it possible for you to go outside in a private, protected garden. You might not use it, but you might really want to go outside.
- you’ll want a very comfortable place to recline, couches or lots of pillows on carpet.
- I would choose an evening experience. No bright lights, no scented candles. I think oil lamps with pure, unscented oil is best.
- Make sure the ventilation is good!

When you walk into the place where you’ll do your trip / ceremony, you should love it! It should feel like a great place to hang out and day dream!

My first choice would be dried mushrooms, psilocybin. Second choice would be ayahuasca. Third choice would be mescaline, which is in peyote, but peyote can cause a rough start to your trip (a bit of vomiting). Pure LSD is possible, but it’s a loooooooong trip. I would avoid Ibogaine. I’ve heard it’s extremely helpful for people with serious addictions, but I’ve also heard it’s a truly harrowing experience.

Finally, (and this is maybe the most controversial thing I’m saying), I believe you should take a “heroic dose”. With dried mushrooms this would be 4 or 5 grams. You want to “break through the veil”, not tiptoe up to it. Your ego might well experience a period of “ego death”. It’s not dangerous, but it can be scary for a while. If you take a small dose, your ego can fight the experience and leave you in a weird, unsatisfying limbo state, hence the suggestion for a heroic dose, one that your ego cannot resist.

It’s normal to be a bit afraid, but trust your guide, and open yourself up to perhaps the most amazing, wonderful experience of your life.

imho…  wink

[ Edited: 18 April 2020 08:45 by icehorse]

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5013
Joined  19-08-2010

18 April 2020 10:27

icehorse - 18 April 2020 08:42 AM

The old adage is “set and setting”. This refers to the mindset one has going into a psychedelic experience, and the physical setting in which it occurs. In my experience, a well planned trip can indeed be a positive life-changing experience that can shift one’s perspective for the rest of their lives. Another old adage is something like: “You never come entirely down from a great trip”.  smile

So, no matter where you do this, I think the following checklist is important for a positive experience:

- Your mindset should be open, humble, and appreciative.
- You need an experienced guide whom you trust completely.
- You should do a dietary cleanse for a few days before the trip. No dairy, little or no meat. No sugar, and so on.
- The setting should be clean, beautiful, and safe. You must have no worries of being interrupted.
- I’m on the fence about music, but I think I slightly favor including music in the experience, with a few caveats:
  - only instrumental, no lyrics, and keep the volume on the quite “background music” level.
  - I would prefer gently cheerful. Andreas Vollenweider for example.
  - your guide has to take care of the music, and they have to do a seamless job of transitions from album to album - again, you do not want to feel interrupted!
- your guide should have a very clean meal prepared for afterwards: nuts and fruit and such.
- you should have extremely clean water available, no chlorinated tap water!
- wear comfortable clothes and have blankets ready.
- treat this as an extremely rare, special occasion (which it is). Take a shower first smile
- if possible, the location should make it possible for you to go outside in a private, protected garden. You might not use it, but you might really want to go outside.
- you’ll want a very comfortable place to recline, couches or lots of pillows on carpet.
- I would choose an evening experience. No bright lights, no scented candles. I think oil lamps with pure, unscented oil is best.
- Make sure the ventilation is good!

When you walk into the place where you’ll do your trip / ceremony, you should love it! It should feel like a great place to hang out and day dream!

My first choice would be dried mushrooms, psilocybin. Second choice would be ayahuasca. Third choice would be mescaline, which is in peyote, but peyote can cause a rough start to your trip (a bit of vomiting). Pure LSD is possible, but it’s a loooooooong trip. I would avoid Ibogaine. I’ve heard it’s extremely helpful for people with serious addictions, but I’ve also heard it’s a truly harrowing experience.

Finally, (and this is maybe the most controversial thing I’m saying), I believe you should take a “heroic dose”. With dried mushrooms this would be 4 or 5 grams. You want to “break through the veil”, not tiptoe up to it. Your ego might well experience a period of “ego death”. It’s not dangerous, but it can be scary for a while. If you take a small dose, your ego can fight the experience and leave you in a weird, unsatisfying limbo state, hence the suggestion for a heroic dose, one that your ego cannot resist.

It’s normal to be a bit afraid, but trust your guide, and open yourself up to perhaps the most amazing, wonderful experience of your life.

imho…  wink

You sound very much like my old pal Ross, well prepared and keen to go ALL the way there.

He once claimed he saw UFOs, it wasn’t the trip, in his opinion it really happened.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1579
Joined  01-11-2014

21 April 2020 11:25

I’ll chime in and say that I think taking psilocybin will be a positive and possibly life changing experience for you.

I experimented with psychedelics in my late teens and early twenties during the 70s. For many years later, I didn’t give much thought about it, nor the effect it might have had on me.

A few years ago I heard Ray Manzarek, the keyboardist for the band, the Doors, say something about how once you’ve taken psychedelics, your perception is cleansed forever. I thought he was full of crap at the time. But then it got me to reflect upon my own experiences. I came to realize that those early trips had changed me in very profound ways, without me even realizing it.

Most of my trips were taken in nature. As Icehorse stated, set and setting are very important. For my friends and I, tripping outside in a forest, in the mountains, in the desert, was our preferred set and settings.

What I didn’t realize until years later, was that through the use of psychedelics, I had come to have an intense, unfiltered experience with nature itself. I saw the beauty, mystery, but most of all, the interconnectedness of all things. To this day, I have a deep sense of awe and wonder about the natural world. This was the gift that I received from psychedelics.

Of all the substances that I ingested back then, psilocybin was the most benign, mellow and comfortable of them all. I never had a bad experience on magic mushrooms.

I hope you find the peace of mind that you are searching for.