Pain during meditation

puccino

puccino
Total Posts:  1
Joined  30-04-2020

30 April 2020 02:23

Hi guys,
I have been meditating daily for the last months in the morning or evening, and I really started noticing a difference in terms of serenity and inner happiness.

I have been trying different techniques and also using guided meditation, which I believe it really helps in the beginning, which is where I am.

The only thing is that am not that flexible and when I sit on the floor or over a meditation cushion, I start having a lot of pain on the ankle bones, that are being pressured against the floor. I am not able to do the lotus pose, so my feet are always under me. I know meditation is also about overcoming pain but in some way I think it should need to feel pain.

Do any of you out there experience the same thing?
Thanks for sharing,
Bruno

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9254
Joined  20-02-2006

30 April 2020 11:57

1.  Make yourself comfortable.

2.  Make yourself comfortable.

3.  Relax.

4.  Notice your surroundings as though opening your eyes for the first time, like a chick coming out of an egg.  Wow!  Look at this!  What is this?

5.  “If you are still seeking, we know you cannot see.”  -  Zen

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10086
Joined  20-10-2006

30 April 2020 14:24

I think pain is the opposite of meditation, and if you feel pain then you’re doing it wrong.  I do not formally meditate, nor have I given it more than 10 minutes when I have experimented (and it is good), but I do take long walks in the woods nearby which I consider meditation, but the only pain it relieves is in my head.  Sometimes my pain is psychosomatic, and in that case, clearing my head relieves it, but the pain you describe is purely physical, so don’t do that.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1578
Joined  01-11-2014

01 May 2020 16:02

Just like you, Bruno, I cannot do a full lotus position either. What I do instead is called the half lotus position. I also sit on a crescent shaped zafu meditation cushion which is placed on top of a floor pad called a zabuton. A zabuton might help relieve the pressure you feel on your ankle.

When I was first started my meditation practice about 13 years ago, I felt a great deal of discomfort from my left leg — the one that is tucked under and closest to the floor. The discomfort I felt was a precursor to my leg and foot eventually falling asleep. The sensation was very distracting, not to mention somewhat painful. I did internet searches to see if this was a common experience, but oddly, I didn’t find much about it. So, I decided to just stuck it out and wrote it off as the price I’d have to pay for doing meditation. 

I can’t recall how long it took before the pain in my leg and foot went away during meditation. Maybe a year? Eventually, my mind simply blocked out the discomfort. It’s rather odd when I think about it, but that’s what happened; I just just stopped feeling the discomfort. My leg and foot still fall asleep, but I don’t feel it happening. When I come out of a meditation session, I usually have to wait a few minutes for the pins and needles sensation to stop before I can stand up and move around.

If there’s one tip I could give you, it would be to check out the Sam Harris podcast with Richard Lang that came out recently. Mr. Lang talks about the experience of being “headless.” He’s really pointing out the experience of enlightenment. I know that’s a surprising statement, but it’s true. Enlightenment is not the exotic mystical experience most people think it is. Just be open minded to what Mr. Lang is saying and you’ll get the point.