The “fuck it” stage of Trump’s presidency

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9986
Joined  20-10-2006

16 May 2020 10:39

I sense Trump has transitioned to the the “Fuck It” stage of his presidency.  He has no idea how to handle to pandemic, the Senate has given him carte blanche to do whatever he wants, no one takes him seriously, and his chance of re-election drop with every rise in COVID cases and unemployment claims, while the economy goes into free fall.  I expect him to spend the rest of his time in office destroying everything in his path and taking as many people down with him, and when he leaves office he will give everyone the finger and claim he did great while everyone around him failed. 

The country is truly leaderless and we are better off turning to state and local leaders.

My crystal ball also says that, just like when Obama took office during a crisis, that the radical right (the moderate right has ceased to exist) will lay all the blame at the new president’s feet and cry that the new president has not fixed the problem fast enough, as though the current problems are not problems at all.  Yep, with the radical right it is always someone else’s fault for problems under their watch while they take credit for anything good which happens.  Or, our current problems are outright denied to exist, and the whole thing is a making of the mainstream media to make the radical right look bad.

[ Edited: 16 May 2020 10:47 by Skipshot]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9140
Joined  20-02-2006

16 May 2020 11:03

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/15/politics/state-department-inspector-general-fired/index.html

If Trump is he re-elected he will graduate from firing government watchdogs to silencing media critics.  Surely voters can see this writing on the wall? 

Quote from today’s article:

“Washington (CNN) President Donald Trump on Friday fired State Department Inspector General Steve Linick, the latest in a series of dismissals of independent government watchdogs that have come in the wake of the President’s acquittal on articles of impeachment earlier this year.

Trump announced his intent to remove Linick on Friday, yet another late-night firing of an inspector general as the media’s attention was focused on the coronavirus pandemic that has claimed the lives of more than 87,000 Americans. The dismissal drew immediate condemnation from top Democrats who accused the President of engaging in a pattern of retaliation against public servants charged with oversight of his administration.
“It is vital that I have the fullest confidence in the appointees serving as Inspectors General. That is no longer the case with regard to this Inspector General,” Trump said in a letter sent late Friday to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.”  (read more in above article)

John McCain, a Republican, saw the writing on the wall years ago:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-mccain/suppressing-free-press-is-how-dictators-get-started-senator-mccain-idUSKBN15Y07R

In November, will the electoral college again allow the minority to ‘dictate’ our future?  https://www.270towin.com/

[ Edited: 16 May 2020 11:13 by unsmoked]

Q

Q
Total Posts:  40
Joined  04-05-2020

17 May 2020 09:36

Skipshot - 16 May 2020 10:39 AM

I sense Trump has transitioned to the the “Fuck It” stage of his presidency.  He has no idea how to handle to pandemic, the Senate has given him carte blanche to do whatever he wants, no one takes him seriously, and his chance of re-election drop with every rise in COVID cases and unemployment claims, while the economy goes into free fall.  I expect him to spend the rest of his time in office destroying everything in his path and taking as many people down with him, and when he leaves office he will give everyone the finger and claim he did great while everyone around him failed. 

The country is truly leaderless and we are better off turning to state and local leaders.

My crystal ball also says that, just like when Obama took office during a crisis, that the radical right (the moderate right has ceased to exist) will lay all the blame at the new president’s feet and cry that the new president has not fixed the problem fast enough, as though the current problems are not problems at all.  Yep, with the radical right it is always someone else’s fault for problems under their watch while they take credit for anything good which happens.  Or, our current problems are outright denied to exist, and the whole thing is a making of the mainstream media to make the radical right look bad.

I agree with your assessment and your precognition. The Democrats are always left to fix the destruction caused by the Republicans. About the time we’re on the right path to recovery and begin to see progress, it’ll be time for another Trump, or worse. Biden said he won’t pardon Trump, but will leave any prosecutorial decisions to the new justice department. IMO, Trump must be prosecuted for his crimes after leaving office, an example must be set, or the thin thread on which our democracy has been hanging will have been cut, by Democrats.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

17 May 2020 12:03

Q - 17 May 2020 09:36 AM

I agree with your assessment and your precognition. The Democrats are always left to fix the destruction caused by the Republicans. About the time we’re on the right path to recovery and begin to see progress, it’ll be time for another Trump, or worse. Biden said he won’t pardon Trump, but will leave any prosecutorial decisions to the new justice department. IMO, Trump must be prosecuted for his crimes after leaving office, an example must be set, or the thin thread on which our democracy has been hanging will have been cut, by Democrats.

Q, I highlighted one of your sentences. 

quote:  Among the Founding Fathers’ chief goals was to do away with a government where the king was above the law and had absolute power over the lives of his subjects. In our system, the President, like every other citizen, is meant to be subject to the law. The Founding Fathers were explicit about that intention when they debated the shape the new government they were creating would take. And that quintessentially American view that no man is above the law has been the case up until the presidency of Donald Trump.

If the President can get special treatment for himself or for those around him, we no longer have a system people can have confidence in. They will know that it’s rigged. A President who controls prosecutions in this manner has assumed the powers of a monarch or a dictator, not those given to the duly elected representative of the people.

Since his acquittal from the impeachment charges brought against him by the House, Trump has shown a dangerous tendency to retaliate against those he believes have wronged him. If he can corrupt the criminal justice system for the benefit of his friends, there is no reason he cannot also use it to retaliate against those he views as enemies. There is nothing that prevents him from “locking her up,” whether a crime has been committed or not, in a system that responds to his demands.”

quoted from - https://time.com/5783007/donald-trump-doj-resignations/

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2059
Joined  14-08-2008

17 May 2020 14:56

Skip, I wish I could be as optimistic about Trump’s coming downfall. But frankly, I’m not convinced that it is imminent (or even likely). There’s still plenty of people out there who “take him seriously”, and who are blinded to the country’s woes - even if they themselves are impacted. Such is the power of the cult of Trump. What we are (metaphorically) witnessing now is Trump “standing in the middle of 5h Avenue and shooting somebody without losing any voters.” Suggestions of injecting disinfectant into the body is just the latest of 3 1/2 years of insanity and scandal that has done next to nothing to erode his base. Then when you add in his own personal propaganda network (Fox News), the spectre of foreign voter interference, and the republican penchant for voter suppression, you’re talking about a formidable challenge, even in these times. So to me, if indeed Trump is at the “Fuck It” stage of his presidency, it’s not because he sees himself as a failing President on the way out, but because he sees himself as a winner with lots of support who has been bullet proof his entire time in office and can get away with anything. 

Ron

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9986
Joined  20-10-2006

17 May 2020 19:16

MrRon - 17 May 2020 02:56 PM

So to me, if indeed Trump is at the “Fuck It” stage of his presidency, it’s not because he sees himself as a failing President on the way out, but because he sees himself as a winner with lots of support who has been bullet proof his entire time in office and can get away with anything.

Yep.  And if he is re-elected, then with the complicity of the Senate, which I doubt will flip to Democrats, he will be unstoppable.  He could bypass Congress completely and declare anything he wants, which does not cost money because Congress authorizes spending, and through executive orders and it will be done.  And the money Congress does specifically budget, he could repurpose for anything he wants, because the Senate will always protect him.  He could dissolve or withhold the budget for every agency under the executive branch and let them wither and die without repercussion.  Shooting someone on 5th Avenue in New York would be insignificant compared to the damage he could do the the executive branch.  And he would not lose one vote.  Why?  Because he was elected to vandalize Washington.

This is also why I wrote that the federal government has become irrelevant, and Trump is on record for saying so when he deflected blame for the pandemic to the states and said the federal government is “backup” for the states, with the implication that federal assistance is at the whim and pleasure of the president.  Trump may withhold money allocated to the states and make them grovel for it.

Sure, Trump’s supporters suffer in some way, but the point of the destruction is for Trump’s enemies to suffer more, and in that the Dumpsters believe they win.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

29 May 2020 13:12

MrRon - 17 May 2020 02:56 PM

So to me, if indeed Trump is at the “Fuck It” stage of his presidency, it’s not because he sees himself as a failing President on the way out, but because he sees himself as a winner with lots of support who has been bullet proof his entire time in office and can get away with anything. 

Ron

Trump needs the racist, white supremacist vote to win.  Are there any Republicans who don’t know this?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/11/how-greenwich-republicans-learned-to-love-trump?

[ Edited: 30 May 2020 11:16 by unsmoked]