LSD + Meditation

Gandalf

Gandalf
Total Posts:  6
Joined  21-02-2019

20 June 2020 05:19

Sam - “If LSD is like being strapped to a rocket, learning to meditate is like gently raising a sail”.

Today, at age 31, I had my first experience of LSD. Because it was my first time, I took a very light dose. I estimate 20-30ug. I would not call it a microdose but not a full on trip. I decided to meditate during part of my experience. It made me think of Sam’s ‘rocket’ or ‘wind sail’ options. Having used his app for years I have experienced the wind sail. I think there is a middle ground that can be found by taking approx 20ug of LSD and meditating. I feel like I made months of progress with my mind today. Has anyone else experienced this?

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3117
Joined  19-01-2015

20 June 2020 08:35

nope, but I’m glad you had a positive experience.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8118
Joined  22-02-2014

21 June 2020 08:46

yup - good plan (IMO)

I’d also encourage you to find an experienced guide - someone who can talk convincingly about the crucial important of “set and setting”, and then do a “heroic” psychedelic journey with that person.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1579
Joined  01-11-2014

22 June 2020 13:23

I’ve never mixed meditation and psychedelics, mainly because both experiences have happened at different stages in my life.

The psychedelics were done in my late teens and early twenties. The mediation began in earnist when I was about to turn fifty.

The LSD will open your senses, (the Doors of Perception), and present to you with an alternate and heightened state of being. I hope that next time you take a larger dose and do it in a safe, natural environment, away from cities and other people, hopefully with someone you can trust. I strongly encourage you to do this in a forest, mountain or desert setting.

That said, I think there is much to learn from psychedelics, but remember, it’s only a tool to use for a limited time. To quote philosopher, Alan Watts: “If you get the message, hang up the phone.”

I’ve been mediating for many years now. As Sam alluded, it’s a slow but steady journey. My meditation practice is completely different now, then from when I first began.

Sam Harris, in his book “Waking Up,” mentions the teachings of Douglas Harding and “The Headless Way.” Sam has had Harding’s acolyte, Richard Lang, on one of his podcasts not long ago. If you haven’t heard it yet, I recommend it. It’s podcast #181.

I’m directing you towards The Headless Way, because it has had a profound influence on me.  It has shown me what the tools and techniques of meditation and psychedelics are pointing towards.

There’s one particular article by Harding, that I find to be very profound. Reading it could give you a short cut on your spiritual path. Or not. I wish I had known about it years ago, but then again, perhaps I wouldn’t have been ready for it at the time.

Here is a link to the essay:
https://www.headless.org/articles/on-being-aware.htm

Gandalf

Gandalf
Joined  21-02-2019

22 June 2020 13:37

Hi C. Cat. Thanks. I will definitely read that. I have already heard the podcast with Lang. I remember finding it super interesting. I’ll probably listen to it again. I think I’ll very slowly work myself up to a larger dose. I can tell that this stuff is super powerful and to be respected. Until I feel confident I’m going to stick with 1/5th of a tab and do Sam’s guided meditations simultaneously. I’m going camping soon so I’ll try meditating on the forest on a light dose.

Gandalf

Gandalf
Joined  21-02-2019

22 June 2020 13:38

icehorse - 21 June 2020 08:46 AM

yup - good plan (IMO)

I’d also encourage you to find an experienced guide - someone who can talk convincingly about the crucial important of “set and setting”, and then do a “heroic” psychedelic journey with that person.

I will keep an eye out for a guide. Given the illegal nature of this I may have to make do with Sam for some time.

REDALD

REDALD
Total Posts:  4
Joined  25-06-2020

25 June 2020 12:28

Yes, I had many very nice experiences on lsd and meditation. in my experience I found that if I would liken the lsd trip to looking through a binocular but the vision is kind of blurry, and then applying the state of meditation is like suddenly sharpening the view, seeing things crispy clear. Once I remember having the thought: The trip was tripping me, but now I’m tripping the trip. And I think that meant that I felt the exact opposite of being tripped but kind of confused but instead amazingly clear. But in the end I would say that what acid did for me was show me or reflect back to me the power of meditation, and now I value it higher than any psycadelic. It was as if it came along to tell me: “yes, meditation that’s the thing” and I am greatful for it, and no longer feel the same craving for psycadelic that I used to do in my twenties.

A bit of a heads-up though, in my experience meditation on psychedelics gave rise to some quite strong physical kundalini like reactions pressure in the head, feeling of energy bolts going up the spine etc, it is not always comfortable and I think can be quite scary if we don’t know what it is. These things can happen with meditation any way but, but can be quite extreme on psychedelics. The trick is as always let them go, let them pass, relax into it. And if it gets uncomfortable do grounding things, walks in nature and some heavy foods and such.

[ Edited: 25 June 2020 12:43 by REDALD]

Gandalf

Gandalf
Joined  21-02-2019

25 June 2020 12:53

Awesome smile

Thanks Redald. What sort of dose do you take when mixing the two?

REDALD

REDALD
Joined  25-06-2020

25 June 2020 13:10

I’ve tried with all kind of different doses, but in the end I think mild, micro dosing “ish” is better for meditation. So you gradually learn how to navigate in those waters. When I began with lsd I always thought that more was better, and I needed a “hero dose” to come to break through to some other place, and so I sometimes took 3 or even 5 tabs, but then noticed that it was much nicer with just half a tab, there was no “other” place to reach, but the here and the now is it like we learn in meditation. smile

Gandalf

Gandalf
Joined  21-02-2019

25 June 2020 13:16

Nice. I know what you mean about feeling like you’re searching for another place. When I did the meditation while on a fifth of a tab (last weekend) I felt like I was going to another place. When I got there I got the message; “you’re already here”. As if to tell me that the other place I was searching for was simply to be present. Ever mixed Meditation with shrooms? I’m considering trying it.

REDALD

REDALD
Joined  25-06-2020

25 June 2020 13:26

Yes you nailed it. And that I think about it that other place, I guess sometimes, we still need to go there to learn that we don’t really need to go there. Otherwise we’re stuck wondering. I have done shrooms only a couple if times and I would say they were some of the most transformative spiritual moments, better so than lsd for some reason, although I didn’t do any conscious meditation those times, since I hadn’t learned that habit yet. But I can only imagine it would be awesome