The cult of Trump - his rallies are church and he is the gospel

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9254
Joined  20-02-2006

20 June 2020 11:19

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/06/inside-the-cult-of-trump-his-rallies-are-church-and-he-is-the-gospel

“HE’S THE CHOSEN ONE TO RUN AMERICA”: INSIDE THE CULT OF TRUMP, HIS RALLIES ARE CHURCH AND HE IS THE GOSPEL
Trump’s rallies—a bizarre mishmash of numerology, tweetology, and white supremacy—are the rituals by which he stamps his name on the American dream. As he prepares to resume them for the first time in months, his followers are ready to receive.”

BY JEFF SHARLET - PHOTOGRAPHY BY BRUCE GILDEN - JUNE 18, 2020

quote from this article:

“There’s a point in every rally when Trump confronts the enemy directly. Not Hillary Clinton, or Joe Biden, or Mexican immigrants, but a small group of men and women penned in a metal cage on the arena floor. They’re “very bad people” and “scum” and “liars.” “Look at them!” he cries, pointing. His thousands turn to the cage to scream. If I had thought to bring a sound-level meter to the rallies, I could give you a precise rendering in decibels of the ascending passions of the Trumpocene: God, guns, and, loudest of all, hating CNN. A cartoon Trump pissing on the CNN logo is a popular T-shirt at rallies; another reads: “Rope. Tree. Journalist. Some assembly required.”

“Does anybody think the media is honest?” Trump asks the crowd at the third rally I attend, in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

“No!” they cry.

“Does anybody think they’re totally corrupt and dishonest?”

“Yes!” they cry. A woman next to me leans back on her heels, lower lip tucked under her teeth, eyes closed, arms outstretched, her two middle fingers raised.

Journalists are the true enemy within. The enemy is cunning; it attempts to blend . . . ”  (Read more in article.  It’s worse than you thought).

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1579
Joined  01-11-2014

20 June 2020 17:10

That was a very good article Unsmoked; unsettling, but good.

Whenever I read alarming articles like this, I try to put it into perspective, to place it in the larger context of American history. We are a nation founded on religious fanaticism and greed. These two traits are a deep part of the American collective unconscious. Trump and his followers are just the newest wrinkle and synthesis of these two traits in the long procession of history.

I couldn’t help but think, when reading about Trump’s most loyal followers, how lost in a dream they all seemed to be. They are somnambulists searching for meaning and finding it in the ramblings of a conman. They believe God has anointed a third-rate reality TV star and crooked business man as his Chosen One. How spiritually lost, how astoundingly gullible, how totally delusional do you have to be, to believe such heaping, stinking, crapolla? The sheer, utter, absurdity of it is worthy of a good belly laugh, if it wasn’t so awfully, pathetically sad.

Today, Trump’s first rally in months is about to begin in Tulsa, Oklahoma; a city that is experiencing a large increase in Coronavirus infections. I’ve seen pictures of the crowd — not a single mask-wearer among them. They don’t want to appear disloyal to the Chosen One. They will risk illness and death to worship at the foot of the anointed one. Perhaps God will spare them. Perhaps they will get sick and die. Either way, it will have been worth it, no doubt, to be so close to divinity — Donald J. Trump.

In Tulsa, the 19,000-seat BOK Center remained underfilled for President Trump’s first rally in months, with a crowd that was well below the campaign’s expectations.
A planned appearance by Mr. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence to an outdoor stage outside the arena, to address what was expected to be an overflow crowd, was canceled, as just dozens of supporters were waiting by the stage at the time the speakers were supposed to arrive,  Astead Herndon reported from inside the arena.

https://tinyurl.com/ycskaral

Tsk, tsk. Oh ye of little faith.

[ Edited: 20 June 2020 19:41 by Cheshire Cat]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

21 June 2020 12:37

Cheshire Cat - 20 June 2020 05:10 PM

That was a very good article Unsmoked; unsettling, but good.

Whenever I read alarming articles like this, I try to put it into perspective, to place it in the larger context of American history. We are a nation founded on religious fanaticism and greed. These two traits are a deep part of the American collective unconscious. Trump and his followers are just the newest wrinkle and synthesis of these two traits in the long procession of history.

I couldn’t help but think, when reading about Trump’s most loyal followers, how lost in a dream they all seemed to be. They are somnambulists searching for meaning and finding it in the ramblings of a conman. They believe God has anointed a third-rate reality TV star and crooked business man as his Chosen One. How spiritually lost, how astoundingly gullible, how totally delusional do you have to be, to believe such heaping, stinking, crapolla? The sheer, utter, absurdity of it is worthy of a good belly laugh, if it wasn’t so awfully, pathetically sad.

Today, Trump’s first rally in months is about to begin in Tulsa, Oklahoma; a city that is experiencing a large increase in Coronavirus infections. I’ve seen pictures of the crowd — not a single mask-wearer among them. They don’t want to appear disloyal to the Chosen One. They will risk illness and death to worship at the foot of the anointed one. Perhaps God will spare them. Perhaps they will get sick and die. Either way, it will have been worth it, no doubt, to be so close to divinity — Donald J. Trump.

In Tulsa, the 19,000-seat BOK Center remained underfilled for President Trump’s first rally in months, with a crowd that was well below the campaign’s expectations.
A planned appearance by Mr. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence to an outdoor stage outside the arena, to address what was expected to be an overflow crowd, was canceled, as just dozens of supporters were waiting by the stage at the time the speakers were supposed to arrive,  Astead Herndon reported from inside the arena.

https://tinyurl.com/ycskaral

Tsk, tsk. Oh ye of little faith.

Will the Voice of America become the Voice of Trump?  ‘All the world’s his stage.’  https://thehill.com/policy/international/503676-trump-pick-to-lead-us-media-agency-under-fire-from-both-sides

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5399
Joined  28-05-2009

21 June 2020 17:14

The number of times he has said something demonstrably false and/or ludicrous and then had his spin team walk it back and claim it was all joke and proceed to blame the media for misrepresenting him precludes any rational person on that boat.

I was happy to see the recent rally at under thirty percent capacity. I hope some proportion of those empty seats represent long overdue changes of heart. Or a sober recognition of the current epidemic conditions… which almost amounts to almost the same thing given Trumps comments.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

22 June 2020 12:00

Brick Bungalow - 21 June 2020 05:14 PM

The number of times he has said something demonstrably false and/or ludicrous and then had his spin team walk it back and claim it was all joke and proceed to blame the media for misrepresenting him precludes any rational person on that boat.

I was happy to see the recent rally at under thirty percent capacity. I hope some proportion of those empty seats represent long overdue changes of heart. Or a sober recognition of the current epidemic conditions… which almost amounts to almost the same thing given Trumps comments.

If he’s re-elected, will burning the flag and yawning at one of his rallies have the same penalty?  https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4888115/user-clip-vip-yawntrump-tulsa-rally

(when camera shows the group of attendees, notice white man on the right side of screen)

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

25 June 2020 12:24

Brick Bungalow - 21 June 2020 05:14 PM

So he gets his ‘spin team’ to claim it was all a joke and then humiliates them by saying he doesn’t joke.  A new HBO series - HORRIBLE BOSS 6?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_t2tG2DL4

Raphael777

Raphael777
Total Posts:  12
Joined  25-06-2020

25 June 2020 16:08

Yes , he is a great leader and alight with charisma .
For re-election he has to face this fast sinking old guy with all the early signs of dementia and a reputation as being a kiddy tickler

Truth is,  I doubt Biden will get to the start line .
Could be the end of the Democrat party . And a new era for decency and honest effort .

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

25 June 2020 20:00

Raphael777 - 25 June 2020 04:08 PM

Yes , he is a great leader and alight with charisma .
For re-election he has to face this fast sinking old guy with all the early signs of dementia and a reputation as being a kiddy tickler

Truth is,  I doubt Biden will get to the start line .
Could be the end of the Democrat party . And a new era for decency and honest effort .

Trump as predicted in the May 9, 2011 New Yorker.  Click through his 18 personas.  https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/trumpspotting  Notice the one where he’s wearing a face mask, and another as God speaking to the faithful.  Speaking of fast-sinking, there he is on the Titanic.

[ Edited: 25 June 2020 20:08 by unsmoked]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

30 June 2020 09:56

Sam Harris weighs in - 2005

quote:  “I have heard from hundreds of embattled freethinkers living in “red state” America.  Judging from this last group of correspondents, the American heartland is fast becoming as blinkered as the wilds of Afghanistan.  It may be too much to hope that the efforts of reasonable people will yet turn the tide.

“According to several recent polls, 22 percent of Americans [72 million] are certain that Jesus will return to earth sometime in the next fifty years.  Another 22 percent believe that he will probably do so.  This is likely the same 44 percent [144 million] who go to church once a week or more, who believe that God literally promised the land of Israel to the Jews, and who want to stop teaching children about the biological fact of evolution.  Believers of this sort constitute the most cohesive and motivated segment of the American electorate. Consequently, their views and prejudices now influence almost every decision of national importance.  Political liberals seem to have drawn the wrong lesson from these developments and are now thumbing scripture, wondering how best to ingratiate themselves to the legions of men and women in our country who vote mainly on the basis of religious dogma.  More than 50 percent of Americans have a “negative” or “highly negative” view of people who do not believe in God; 70 percent think it important for presidential candidates to be “strongly religious.”  Because it is taboo to criticize a person’s religious beliefs, political debate over questions of public policy (stem-cell research, the ethics of assisted suicide and euthanasia, obscenity and free speech, gay marriage, etc.) generally gets framed in terms appropriate to a theocracy.  Unreason is now ascendant in the United States - in our schools, in our courts, and in each branch of the federal government.  Only 28 percent of Americans believe in evolution; 72 percent believe in angels.  Ignorance in this degree, concentrated in both the head and the belly of a lumbering superpower, is now a problem for the entire world.”  -  Sam Harris writing in the Afterword of his book, The End of Faith - 2005.  (end quote)

It took 11 years for a con man autocrat to seize on these facts and worm his way into the White House.

con man  noun INFORMAL

a man who cheats or tricks someone by gaining their trust and persuading them to believe something that is not true.  (His photo op standing in front of a church beside generals and dignitaries - holding up a Bible)  (The Benny Hinn of American politics?)

[ Edited: 30 June 2020 10:00 by unsmoked]