Where to Dump the Bucket of Deplorables

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3645
Joined  26-03-2013

23 June 2020 11:26

I don’t know what happened to civility.  It is the only rule we follow at this forum. 

I think that’s why more and more racism and misogyny is emerging.  Coz it can.  We’ve allowed it and now patrons are feeling far too comfortable uttering their hateful rhetoric here.  Which puts all the other patrons in a terribly awkward position.  And that won’t do.  The regular patrons still around, who are maintaining their usual level of decorum, are keeping up their end of the bargain.  And what is their reward?  Meaningless attacks from vicious little toads.  Who haven’t yet figured out that disagreeing with people is not the end of the world.  When people aren’t running roughshod over the terrain it can be fertile ground for enjoyable conversations.

I realize that some folks need a receptacle for their anger.  And they don’t wanna be just another voice in just another echo chamber.  So they come here where they will stand out and they act out for as long as they’re permitted to do so.  Pushing the patience of the crowd until they’ve finally been offensive enough to get the reaction they came looking for and then claim we’re the ones lacking tolerance.  It’s a game for trolls.  And I don’t expect anyone to give it the time of day.

It’s embarrassing to be put in this position.  I resent being put in this position.  I always have.  You want to say something in order to address it but it’s so ridiculously juvenile that any attachment to, or association with, it is just so cringeworthy you don’t wanna go anywhere near it.  You ignore it hoping it’ll go away but it always finds more oxygen.  Then you end up resenting the air supply.  Is it really so hard to foster a thread of ideas then sharpen the point and head in a direction that keeps moving forward?  Only when posters accept the views of those accepting theirs.  As a reciprocal courtesy.  I’m not seeing enough of that.  I can’t wear this badge and do nothing.  Silence exacerbates racism.  And that won’t do either.

So I’m no longer here to babysit problem children.  I’m here to squash toads.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Total Posts:  469
Joined  18-12-2018

23 June 2020 13:41

LadyJane - 23 June 2020 11:26 AM

I don’t know what happened to civility.  It is the only rule we follow at this forum. 

I think that’s why more and more racism and misogyny is emerging.  Coz it can.  We’ve allowed it and now patrons are feeling far too comfortable uttering their hateful rhetoric here.  Which puts all the other patrons in a terribly awkward position.  And that won’t do.  The regular patrons still around, who are maintaining their usual level of decorum, are keeping up their end of the bargain.  And what is their reward?  Meaningless attacks from vicious little toads.  Who haven’t yet figured out that disagreeing with people is not the end of the world.  When people aren’t running roughshod over the terrain it can be fertile ground for enjoyable conversations.

I realize that some folks need a receptacle for their anger.  And they don’t wanna be just another voice in just another echo chamber.  So they come here where they will stand out and they act out for as long as they’re permitted to do so.  Pushing the patience of the crowd until they’ve finally been offensive enough to get the reaction they came looking for and then claim we’re the ones lacking tolerance.  It’s a game for trolls.  And I don’t expect anyone to give it the time of day.

It’s embarrassing to be put in this position.  I resent being put in this position.  I always have.  You want to say something in order to address it but it’s so ridiculously juvenile that any attachment to, or association with, it is just so cringeworthy you don’t wanna go anywhere near it.  You ignore it hoping it’ll go away but it always finds more oxygen.  Then you end up resenting the air supply.  Is it really so hard to foster a thread of ideas then sharpen the point and head in a direction that keeps moving forward?  Only when posters accept the views of those accepting theirs.  As a reciprocal courtesy.  I’m not seeing enough of that.  I can’t wear this badge and do nothing.  Silence exacerbates racism.  And that won’t do either.

So I’m no longer here to babysit problem children.  I’m here to squash toads.

It seems to me that you take a confrontational attitude in most of your posts, but then you use general terminology and typically don’t refer to anyone specific, all the while being super wordy.

In my opinion, your method isn’t effective for moderating this forum.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

23 June 2020 13:55

The fact that I don’t appeal to a Trump supporting Creationist more than makes my day.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

23 June 2020 14:03

LadyJane - 23 June 2020 01:55 PM

The fact that I don’t appeal to a Trump supporting Creationist more than makes my day.

I didn’t say you don’t appeal to me.  I said, “In my opinion, your method isn’t effective for moderating this forum.”  Emphasis added.

Were you ranting in the original post, or were you sincerely asking for input on what to do with the “deplorables?”

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

23 June 2020 14:15

I mean every word I say whether I’m ranting or not.  Like, fer instance, when I say I have no interest in interacting with anyone who doesn’t grasp the concept of evolution.  Sincerely.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

23 June 2020 14:28

LadyJane - 23 June 2020 02:15 PM

I mean every word I say whether I’m ranting or not.  Like, fer instance, when I say I have no interest in interacting with anyone who doesn’t grasp the concept of evolution.  Sincerely.

You’ll have to clarify what the point of your post actually is, then.

I read your post and can only wonder if you consider me one of the “deplorables,” and what you mean by “squash toads.”

Sounded to me like you’re considering taking some punitive action like a ban.  If you aren’t, then ok, I’ll leave you alone.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10086
Joined  20-10-2006

23 June 2020 18:46

LadyJane - 23 June 2020 01:55 PM

The fact that I don’t appeal to a [sealioning], Trump supporting Creationist more than makes my day.

My bold clarifies your point for me, while TwoSeven1 confirms yours.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  507
Joined  14-09-2017

23 June 2020 20:42

“I think that’s why more and more racism and misogyny is emerging.”

Can you provide a couple examples?  If people are spewing racist and misogynistic hate, shouldn’t you warn them and then remove them?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

24 June 2020 04:58

The warnings and oustings have gone almost completely unnoticed.  It may be the reason why people aren’t getting the message.  The price you pay for discretion.  Allow this to be a warning for everyone.  A reminder to stop and think about the language.  And what it means for conversation.  It’s like a tap.  The water can be a steady temperature running freely or hastily turned on and off from hot to cold leaving you with a leaky faucet.  And it’s far too time consuming dealing with one drip at a time.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

24 June 2020 10:06

LadyJane - 24 June 2020 04:58 AM

The warnings and oustings have gone almost completely unnoticed.  It may be the reason why people aren’t getting the message.  The price you pay for discretion.  Allow this to be a warning for everyone.  A reminder to stop and think about the language.  And what it means for conversation.  It’s like a tap.  The water can be a steady temperature running freely or hastily turned on and off from hot to cold leaving you with a leaky faucet.  And it’s far too time consuming dealing with one drip at a time.

Your passive-aggression makes your message completely ambiguous.

Please simply answer this question:  Who, by name, are you referring to?

The general reference to people using racist rhetoric doesn’t answer that question.  You aren’t moderating effectively when you refuse to give specific examples of the problems you mention.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

24 June 2020 13:08

These aren’t the McCarthy hearings.  This is about self discipline and restraint.  What one might perceive as passive aggressive could easily be mistaken for an average every day run of the mill Canadian citizen.  Especially when viewed from an aggressive aggressive perch.  And although it may not appeal to everyone it does prove ideal for moderating.  It’s right up there with leaving well enough alone.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

24 June 2020 15:36

LadyJane - 24 June 2020 01:08 PM

These aren’t the McCarthy hearings.  This is about self discipline and restraint.  What one might perceive as passive aggressive could easily be mistaken for an average every day run of the mill Canadian citizen.  Especially when viewed from an aggressive aggressive perch.  And although it may not appeal to everyone it does prove ideal for moderating.  It’s right up there with leaving well enough alone.

I’m just going to leave you alone about this.  Your responses get more ambiguous each time.

If you are considering punitive action against me, I would appreciate a warning by PM first so we can discuss it.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

24 June 2020 19:08

I figured someone who believes in a mystical garden with a talking snake and magical fruit would have no trouble disambiguating a metaphor or two.  I’ve never interfered with your posting here and hadn’t given it much thought really.  I find you about as threatening as a declawed kitten.  But you sound far too paranoid for a person who’s not guilty of something. 

Let me be perfectly clear about one thing…I don’t owe you a thing.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

25 June 2020 08:57

LadyJane - 24 June 2020 07:08 PM

I figured someone who believes in a mystical garden with a talking snake and magical fruit would have no trouble disambiguating a metaphor or two.  I’ve never interfered with your posting here and hadn’t given it much thought really.  I find you about as threatening as a declawed kitten.  But you sound far too paranoid for a person who’s not guilty of something. 

Let me be perfectly clear about one thing…I don’t owe you a thing.

Great, then none of this was about me.  That’s all I wanted to clarify.