Zen and Our 3,500,000,000 Years of DNA Evolution

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9253
Joined  20-02-2006

26 June 2020 09:53

Your Treasure

“My teacher said to me, “The treasure house within you contains everything, and you are free to use it.  You don’t need to seek outside.”  -  Zen master Dazhu

Questions:  Does Dazhu mean that caterpillars don’t need to ask butterflies how they did it?  Are people like Jesus and Gautama Buddha butterflies telling caterpillars how to do it?

“Trust yourself, there is no one else to trust.”  -  Zen master Rinzai

DNA  noun BIOCHEMISTRY

‘deoxyribonucleic acid, a self-replicating material which is present in nearly all living organisms as the main constituent of chromosomes. It is the carrier of genetic information.  [It is] the fundamental and distinctive characteristics or qualities of someone or something, especially when regarded as unchangeable’.

(Dazhu quoted from the book, ZEN ESSENCE - The Science of Freedom - translated and edited by Thomas Cleary)

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8118
Joined  22-02-2014

27 June 2020 07:53

When you install a new operating system on your computer (OS X, Linux, Windo$e..), you are copying a single, ridiculously long (binary), integer onto your computer.

DNA is a single, ridiculously long (base-4), integer.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

28 June 2020 11:00

icehorse - 27 June 2020 07:53 AM

When you install a new operating system on your computer (OS X, Linux, Windo$e..), you are copying a single, ridiculously long (binary), integer onto your computer.

DNA is a single, ridiculously long (base-4), integer.

Zen master Fenyang comments:  “The original Buddha-nature (DNA) of all living beings is like the bright moon in the sky - - it is only because it is covered with floating clouds that it cannot appear.”

Q:  Does a single, ridiculously long integer have ‘floating clouds’?  Does a computer operating system have ‘floating clouds’? 

Q:  If the DNA we are born with is our original nature, what are the floating clouds that Fenyang mentions?

Q:  Are the ‘floating clouds’ mental activity not inherent in DNA?  Is this what caused us to be expelled from the Garden of Eden?  (made us different from other animals)

(Fenyang quoted from the book, ZEN ESSENCE - The Science of Freedom - translated and edited by Thomas Cleary)

https://condenaststore.com/featured/one-squirrel-to-another-joe-dator.html

[ Edited: 28 June 2020 11:07 by unsmoked]
Image Attachments

134_3403-2.JPG

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

28 June 2020 11:06

I could argue (I suppose), that the “floating clouds” take the forms of the containers in which the long integers reside, e.g. bodies and computers.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

28 June 2020 11:22

icehorse - 28 June 2020 11:06 AM

I could argue (I suppose), that the “floating clouds” take the forms of the containers in which the long integers reside, e.g. bodies and computers.

Notice that some operating systems seek the advice of other operating systems and some depend on their own.  Zen masters seem to favor the latter.

https://condenaststore.com/featured/try-to-remain-calm-im-going-to-talk-you-down-jc-duffy.html

Image Attachments

129_2987.JPG

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

29 June 2020 11:52

Reality and the Empty Fist

Zen master Yangshan said to the assembly:  “If I were to explain the source of Zen (the human mind that has taken 3,500,000,000 years to evolve) there wouldn’t be a single person around, let alone a group of five hundred or seven hundred.  If I talk about this and that, however, you race forward to pick it up.  This is like fooling a child with an empty fist - there is no reality in it.”

(Yangshan quoted from the book, ZEN ESSENCE - The Science of Freedom - translated and edited by Thomas Cleary)

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

30 June 2020 14:31

unsmoked - 29 June 2020 11:52 AM

Zen master Yangshan said to the assembly:  “If I were to explain the source of Zen (the human mind that has taken 3,500,000,000 years to evolve) there wouldn’t be a single person around, let alone a group of five hundred or seven hundred.  If I talk about this and that, however, you race forward to pick it up.  This is like fooling a child with an empty fist - there is no reality in it.”

(Yangshan quoted from the book, ZEN ESSENCE - The Science of Freedom - translated and edited by Thomas Cleary)

DNA has been used to encode blueprints for billions of species. From what we can tell, a tiny, tiny percentage of those species have ever developed the self-awareness necessary to cultivate Zen. I suspect that cetaceans and parrots and crows and perhaps elephants share some form of Zen.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

01 July 2020 12:04

icehorse - 30 June 2020 02:31 PM
unsmoked - 29 June 2020 11:52 AM

DNA has been used to encode blueprints for billions of species. From what we can tell, a tiny, tiny percentage of those species have ever developed the self-awareness necessary to cultivate Zen. I suspect that cetaceans and parrots and crows and perhaps elephants share some form of Zen.

There’s the famous Zen koan - ‘Does a dog have Buddha nature?  No.’

Remember Captain Ahab’s terrible obsession?  Speaking of cetaceans, I wonder if Moby Dick, the white whale, was relatively carefree, or like Ahab, had ‘layers and layers of sweaty shirts sticking to his skin? 

Ahab’s Buddha-nature couldn’t appear because it was covered by floating clouds.  (His wooden leg a constant source of clouds . . . vengeance clouds).

They say that elephants never forget.  Can people have carefree breaks?  Ahab stamping his wooden leg on the deck and laughing to see Mr. Starbuck dancing the hornpipe?

hornpipe  noun

a lively dance associated with sailors, typically performed by one person.
a piece of music for a hornpipe.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

02 July 2020 07:28

Does the desire to play indicate the possibility of a Zen perspective? How about feeling exuberant?

Our horses, cat, dog, and parrot all exhibit these behaviors consistently. The more I’m with them, the more personality I see in them.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

02 July 2020 11:29

icehorse - 02 July 2020 07:28 AM

Does the desire to play indicate the possibility of a Zen perspective? How about feeling exuberant?

Our horses, cat, dog, and parrot all exhibit these behaviors consistently. The more I’m with them, the more personality I see in them.

I once heard a Zen master say, “What is Zen?  Zen is to laugh.”  I’m sure he didn’t mean sardonic laughter.  In a recent nature program I saw a very young sea lion, still waiting on the beach for its mother to come home from fishing.  It entered a tide pool to play with a very young seal, also waiting for its mother to come home.  It looked like joy and exuberance.  Different species - maybe first venture into water for both of them

quote:  “Seals and sea lions that live in the same area and often feed on the same types of fish, seem to get along quite well. ... The seals and sea lions often take advantage of the work the dolphins have done, as well as sea birds, penguins and even sharks. The dolphins do not seem to mind the other species around.”  (end quote)

Speaking of personalities - even identical twins must be different.  No two strands of DNA with identical molecules; no identical experiences from the moment of birth.

personality  noun

1.  the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual’s distinctive character.
“she had a sunny personality that was very engaging”

Similar:  character, nature, disposition, temperament, makeup, persona

[ Edited: 02 July 2020 11:43 by unsmoked]

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

02 July 2020 11:36

Jaak Panksepp was a neuroscientist who studied the neuroscience of emotions. He claimed that all mammals and some of the smarter birds have very strong play drives, even in to adulthood. There are studies that show that rats laugh when they’re playing and they laugh when we tickle them smile

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

02 July 2020 12:11

icehorse - 02 July 2020 11:36 AM

Jaak Panksepp was a neuroscientist who studied the neuroscience of emotions. He claimed that all mammals and some of the smarter birds have very strong play drives, even in to adulthood. There are studies that show that rats laugh when they’re playing and they laugh when we tickle them smile

As an experiment, I’ve tried to watch this without laughing, but can’t.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHnRIAVXTMQ 

Something in our DNA?  Notice the man in the black jacket who tries to distance himself (without success) from the lunacy.

Image Attachments

132_3219.JPG