A Big Corporation (IBM), Acting Ethically?! cool ! (I hope)

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8057
Joined  22-02-2014

27 June 2020 10:45

IBM announced it’s suspending research into facial recognition technology due to built-in racial biases. It’s hard not to be cynical these days but is this - perchance - an example of a Big Corp™ acting ethically?

Be still my heart:

IBM ethical

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10059
Joined  20-10-2006

28 June 2020 09:44

Well. . . not exactly suspending research, but suspending sales until the kinks are worked out.  Still, it is encouraging.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8057
Joined  22-02-2014

28 June 2020 09:58

Skipshot - 28 June 2020 09:44 AM

Well. . . not exactly suspending research, but suspending sales until the kinks are worked out.  Still, it is encouraging.

From the article:

The company has halted all facial recognition development and disapproves or any technology that could lead to racial profiling.

So maybe there’s an important difference you’re pointing out here?

(Of course I realize that no one’s making any “life time” commitments wink  )

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10059
Joined  20-10-2006

28 June 2020 12:40

From another article:  https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-microsoft-ibm-halt-selling-facial-recognition-to-police-2020-6?op=1

Experts Business Insider spoke to said it was a move in the right direction, but that the language IBM had used in its announcement gave it some room to potentially keep selling facial recognition tech in future.

Eva Blum-Dumontet, a senior researcher at Privacy International who specializes in IBM, told Business Insider the specification that it would stop selling “general purpose” software gives the firm room to develop custom software for clients.

“We’ll have to see what that means in practice. It’s worth bearing in mind that a lot of the work IBM does is actually customized work for their customers, so it’s possible we’re not seeing the end of IBM doing facial recognition at all, they’re just changing the label,” said Blum-Dumontet.

Thanks for bringing up the topic, since it is worth knowing about.