Farewell

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Total Posts:  469
Joined  18-12-2018

30 June 2020 12:37

My time on this forum has come to a close.

To those who have respectfully held discussion with me:

Thank you for keeping things civil.  I have appreciated your attitude and hope that you will continue seeking common ground with others.

To those who have vehemently disagreed with me:

I hope that you will remember the things I said at the appropriate time.

To all without fear of God: 

Memento mori.  In the words of Koheleth -

“The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.  For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.” - Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2192
Joined  14-08-2008

30 June 2020 15:31

So long, TwoSeven1. I really hoped that we could make more headway. But your dodges and refusals to answer simple questions made some discussions an exercise in futility. But my hope is that you will remember the things I said at the appropriate time. Especially, “if the Bible could be shown to have errors and/or contradictions, would it change your mind about it’s validity”?

Anyway, I (and most here I presume) are not convinced that there are any Gods. But if you ever come up with some sort of evidence, or a strong argument for God, then please come back and present it.

Take care.
Ron

“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.” Thomas Paine

“Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
- Douglas Adams

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1614
Joined  01-11-2014

30 June 2020 16:28

Part of my problem with you, is that you are inconsistent.

From our previous conversation, (https://forum.samharris.org/forum/viewreply/915320/), you say:

I have never personally met anybody more skeptical than myself and unlike 75% of Americans I have a passport which I have used in every compass direction and have travelled far and wide .
I also follow no God.

Yet on this very thread, you are very clearly saying we should fear God, while at the same time claiming you follow no God.

Are you a believer, or aren’t you?

If you are the skeptic you claim to be, then have you ever looked at religious belief with skepticism? Do you literally believe everything that is in the Bible is true? Only some things? Which things and why?

Balfizar1

Balfizar1
Total Posts:  36
Joined  11-07-2019

01 July 2020 02:32

TwoSeven1 - 30 June 2020 12:37 PM

My time on this forum has come to a close.

To those who have respectfully held discussion with me:

Thank you for keeping things civil.  I have appreciated your attitude and hope that you will continue seeking common ground with others.

To those who have vehemently disagreed with me:

I hope that you will remember the things I said at the appropriate time.

To all without fear of God: 

Memento mori.  In the words of Koheleth -

“The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.  For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.” - Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

Farewell TwoSeven1
Dostoyevsky :- “If the is no God than surely man would have to invent one”

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  19-01-2015

01 July 2020 04:58

Bye 271

while we are quoting

“One day somebody asked Herr K. if there was a God. Herr K. replied: “I suggest that you ask yourself whether the answer would effect your behavior. If your behavior would remain unchanged, then we can drop the question. If it would change, then I can at least be of assistance to you by telling you that you have already decided: you need a God.”

- Bertolt Brecht, Stories of Mr. Keuner

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5030
Joined  19-08-2010

01 July 2020 10:36

Bye now… at this rate we will be all Yin and no Yang.
All Wing and no Wang.
All din and no dang.
All mingle and no mangle.
All ping no pong.
All tick and no tock.
All moat and no boat.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9367
Joined  20-02-2006

07 July 2020 12:01

“Whether we exist or not, whether there’s a God or not, we still have to carry on just the same.  Have you noticed?”  -  The Walrus (from a conversation with the Caterpillar . . . but never found in the manuscripts).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_(Alice’s_Adventures_in_Wonderland)  (Something like the Dead Sea Scrolls explaining that people, not God, had written the whole thing.)