#210- The Logic of Doomsday A Conversation with William J. Perry

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6634
Joined  22-02-2005

09 July 2020 12:59

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with William J. Perry and Lisa Perry about the ever-present threat of nuclear war. They discuss the history of nuclear weapons, the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the present threat of accidental nuclear war, nuclear terrorism, unilateral disarmament, the psychology of deterrence, tactical nuclear weapons, cybersecurity, details of command and control, nuclear proliferation, the steps we could take toward safety, strategic missile defense, nuclear winter, and other topics.

#210- The Logic of Doomsday A Conversation with William J. Perry

This thread is for listeners’ comments

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3645
Joined  26-03-2013

09 July 2020 15:49

I like Ms. Perry’s suggestion of eradicating nukes like landmines.  Max Brooks would make an excellent guest on her podcast.  I happen to be reading The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner by Daniel Ellsberg at the moment.  Another eye opening illustration of the history of nuclear weapons.  The likelihood of accidental nuclear annihilation resulting from the fallout of a breakdown in communication makes Dr. Strangelove look like a true story.  And I’m only slightly exaggerating.  That’s the messed up thing.

PermieMan

PermieMan
Total Posts:  85
Joined  08-12-2019

22 July 2020 12:54

If I remember correctly, Sam made a comment on this podcast validating Americas legitimate use of the Atomic Bomb in Japan during World War 2.  I’d like to challenge that assertion with this short article here.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/07/21/hiroshima-and-nagasaki-as-collateral-damage/?fbclid=IwAR3h5rfC5M9hDHVK5_3-ijjlhtFONW6Zmm1q-cRdPKD-LaVUo7AzlFxQbLI

Veterans For Peace is a charity that I have been following for some time, and they been laying down ground work on tough issues in the Activists community since the early 80’s.  It’s a great organization that deserves recognition and support as their political stance on most issues are good for America.