An Interview with Derek Black

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  182
Joined  19-06-2020

09 July 2020 22:18

With Friends Like These - When Denouncing Racism Isn’t Enough

Short background (it gets partially covered in the podcast, there are lots of articles about him and a book as well), Derek is the son of Don Black, the founder of the Stormfront website.  He grew up among the elites of white nationalists and was the host of a white nationalist radio show in his youth.  He de-converted out of the movement while going to college.

Several things stood out to me. 

First, from the perspective of white nationalists, they see how the broader white population acts as evidence that the population largely agrees with them.  White people tend to live in white neighborhoods.  White people tend to vote for white politicians.  White people tend to vote against programs that help non-white people.  To white nationalists, this is proof that the white population in America is for the most part actually on their side.  They think our country is racist, and they like it.

Second, his father said that the way to recruit people was to find someone who would say “I’m not a racist, but….”  Then by gently pushing the person further down this path and thinking, it was possible to recruit them to the cause of white nationalism.  I’m not saying that the phrase “I’m not racist, but….” makes you a racist or white nationalist, but it is the key phrase that white nationalists listen for when trying to recruit people to their cause.

Third, as an active white nationalist, and now an active anti-racist, his warning to other white people is that both sides have approximately the same number of activists (in his estimation).

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3645
Joined  26-03-2013

10 July 2020 09:04

It feeds a self fulfilling prophecy.  And needs an enemy to facilitate.  Without a clear enemy to hate it’s hard to justify the sloppy thinking aspects of maintaining a desperately flawed belief system which lacks the evidence to support itself.  It requires blind faith.  And it’s next to impossible to reach people that dogmatic in their thinking.  You have to wait for them to emerge from that cocoon and into a world that doesn’t promise to have all the answers.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6578
Joined  31-01-2012

10 July 2020 10:49

weird buffalo - 09 July 2020 10:18 PM

Third, as an active white nationalist, and now an active anti-racist, his warning to other white people is that both sides have approximately the same number of activists (in his estimation).

Interesting. It made me wonder what the distinctions are between being pro equality and being anti racist? Besides the misplaced confidence of the fragile piss and vinegar types that muddy the water, I imagine this is where the bulk of the issue lies. In the past, we talked a lot about equality of outcome being an important distinction from equality of opportunity - and this is especially true when you think about the organizational prioritization of quotas across sectors (which can be as misguided as effective depending on corporate culture) - but then what about the further disinction between equality of outcome and actual Equity? IMO short of a full blown overhaul of society, there’s no way of gathering unbiased data on the poorest of the poor because the systems thier caught up in rely on bad socioeconomic luck for efficiency purposes. That’s not to say that disagreements over the race neutrality of the behavior of these systems can’t be had, but it is to say that these systems play a role in crushing people proportionate to thier culture out of a sheer numbers, timing, and procedural necessity. And then when you get down to it, you start to see that there’s some pretty solid, however illusory, reasons why poor whites and poor blacks don’t bond as much as they should, and the fact that it keeps circling back to skin reduces an otherwise highly complex argument that needs to be had about the structure of the supposed best country in the world.

Edited: cause I can’t spell for shit.

[ Edited: 10 July 2020 10:56 by Jb8989]

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5399
Joined  28-05-2009

12 July 2020 19:11

I’m personally frustrated with the apparent logjam of this conversation in many circles but I do appreciate these stories. Especially the point about how abandoning overtly racist attitudes is just a small step. Confronting entrenched institutional racism is the real work. Thank you for sharing.