#211- The Nature of Human Nature A Conversation with Robert Plomin

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6634
Joined  22-02-2005

17 July 2020 16:09

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Robert Plomin about the role that DNA plays in determining who we are. They discuss the birth of behavioral genetics, the taboo around studying the influence of genes on human psychology, controversies surrounding the topic of group differences, the first law of behavior genetics, heritability, nature and nurture, the mystery of non-shared environment, the way genes help determine a person’s environment, epigenetics, the genetics of complex traits, dimensions vs disorders, the prospect of a GATTACA-like dystopia and genetic castes, heritability and equality of opportunity, the implications of genetics for parenting and education, DNA as a fortune-telling device, and other topics.

#211- The Nature of Human Nature A Conversation with Robert Plomin

This thread is for listeners’ comments

Ned Flanders

Ned Flanders
Total Posts:  9
Joined  09-07-2018

18 July 2020 12:48

i feel like there were a few things in the podcast I did not understand.

But, let me ask this. I believe that, in terms of environmental factors, if you grew up in a family where, for example, corporal punishment was common, and a community where it was common, and where laws permitted and perhaps even used corporal punishment, and where religious and thought leaders supported corporal punishment, the odds are very great that as a parent you would use corporal punishment on your kids.

On the other hand, if you grew up in a culture that was pretty much the opposite of the other one, you would be very unlikely to use corporal punishment on your own kids.

Was the guest saying that my belief in this regard was wrong??? I mean, it sounded like he was at times.

agreenspan

agreenspan
Total Posts:  1
Joined  23-07-2020

23 July 2020 14:20

I want to hear Sam’s thoughts on how this intersects with #205… They seem to be at odds with the conclusions they’ve arrived at.

Amw79

Amw79
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-06-2017

26 July 2020 04:08

Me: think I’ll listen to the new podcast with Robert Plomin about the nature of human nature, that sounds interesting.

5 minutes in.

Sam: “Far left…Jk Rowling…Cancel Culture…racial differences…Charles Murray…woke”

Me: ....