1 2 3 >  Last ›

Portland Oregon

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5399
Joined  28-05-2009

20 July 2020 21:44

I live in Portland. For twenty five years. I have been to the site of all the protest events. Know this. Every single thing Donald Trump has said about this city in the past week has been a lie. Every word.

Federal agents are here on his direct order. They are brutalizing peaceful protesters. We are watching with our own eyes. Two days ago they hospitalized a retired combat veteran who didn’t fight back in any way. They did the same to a group of mothers. And to several disabled people. They are operating in direct defiance of both the mayor and the governor and the jurisdiction of the Oregon DOJ. No local authority wants them here.

Our citizens are being beaten for political theater. I am a present witness. No social media clips. No hearsay. No partisan narrative.

If you support this you should know what you are supporting. It isn’t the constitution. It isn’t the safety of the people. It’s the opposite of those things.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10086
Joined  20-10-2006

21 July 2020 00:41

Thanks for the update.  This does not bode well, and very likely someone will get hurt with more than a baton if the fed’s black ops continue their work.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2121
Joined  14-08-2008

21 July 2020 06:41

Brick, thank you so much for this. Have you filmed any egregious offenses by the “authorities”? I suggest you keep your phone handy just in case. And please keep us updated as things unfold there.

Thanks!
Ron

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1579
Joined  01-11-2014

21 July 2020 11:41

The tactics being employed here are reminiscent of Hitler’s “Brownshirts”: Thugs sent out to intimidate and suppress dissent.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Joined  28-05-2009

21 July 2020 13:28

It’s being documented heavily. There is nearly round the clock coverage on livestream and twitter. More video than anyone could need.

But heres the thing. The cops are, of course attacking anyone who films them. Including reporters. As usual. But the feds are knitting together footage for their own propaganda pieces. They are actually using clips of tear gassed civilians in their own PA’s invoking them as evidence that this is some kind of insurrection. This is how confident they are in their ability to sell one side of the story to their existing supporters.

This kind of counter intelligence is nothing new. During the occupy protest news outlets would knit clips together to infer that protests, riots and vandalism were a unified effort. Locals could tell from the footage that this was false because they knew the geography of the city and the timeline of the events in question. People in other communities often took such reports at face value. Now I’m watching apologists for state violence issuing reports with a tone of utter certainty and dersion even though the accompanying clips don’t correspond to their story in any meaningful way. Even though the story is uncited. Even though the actual reporters who were present affirm the version of the protesters… often with bruises on their own bodies.

Close friends of mine are under medical supervision right now. They weren’t injured by rioters.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  182
Joined  19-06-2020

21 July 2020 14:44

In Minneapolis, the Target that was looted is literally across the street from a police precinct building.  While the Target was being looted, the police were too busy trying to control the protests to do anything.

None of this is about the law, it’s about order and control.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

21 July 2020 16:42

There’s a timely opinion piece about what’s happening in Portland in yesterdays New York Times by Michelle Goldberg. https://tinyurl.com/y3xyo4lr

The anonymous paramilitary group grabbing protestors off the street or attacking them are part of a specialized Border Patrol group that normally deals with investigating drug smuggling organizations.

According to the article:

Police officers in many cities are willing to brutalize demonstrators, but they’re under local control. U.S. Customs and Border Protection, however, is under federal authority, has leadership that’s fanatically devoted to Trump and is saturated with far-right politics.

Goldberg ends her article on an unsettling note:

Through the Trump years, there’s been a debate about whether the president’s authoritarianism is tempered by his incompetence. Those who think concern about fascism is overblown can cite several instances when the administration has been beaten back after overreaching. But all too often the White House has persevered, deforming American life until what once seemed like worst-case scenarios become the status quo.

Trump has already established that his allies, like Michael Flynn and Roger Stone, are above the law. What happens now will tell us how many of us are below it.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Joined  28-05-2009

21 July 2020 17:41

weird buffalo - 21 July 2020 02:44 PM

In Minneapolis, the Target that was looted is literally across the street from a police precinct building.  While the Target was being looted, the police were too busy trying to control the protests to do anything.

None of this is about the law, it’s about order and control.

control, yes. But not order. Firing tear gas canisters into a row of mothers who are singing is disorder. On several levels.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  7085
Joined  08-12-2006

21 July 2020 21:24

Wasn’t GAD from Portland? Too bad he’s not around any more. Would have been interesting to get his perspective.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2121
Joined  14-08-2008

22 July 2020 06:03

Antisocialdarwinist - 21 July 2020 09:24 PM

Wasn’t GAD from Portland? Too bad he’s not around any more. Would have been interesting to get his perspective.

Yeah, and speaking of people who aren’t around anymore, whatever happened to EN? He used to be a pretty regular poster.

Ron

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7304
Joined  15-02-2007

22 July 2020 08:44

MrRon - 22 July 2020 06:03 AM
Antisocialdarwinist - 21 July 2020 09:24 PM

Yeah, and speaking of people who aren’t around anymore, whatever happened to EN? He used to be a pretty regular poster.

Ron

While I wouldn’t presume to speak for EN, I’d guess he just got tired of some of the crank-posts, crank-subjects that were flying around here over the past several months (years?).  Can’t really blame anyone for taking a break or finding more cheerful pastures to graze in.

Edit: This forum has a bit of a repeat cycle to it.  Really quiet for a while.  Then some post comes up that ruffles a few feathers an folks dig into it with passion-like enthusiasm.  Then the ruffling poster moves on, or the post quiets down, and we go back to a moment of stillness before the next episode of poke-the-bear ensues.

Re: Portland - I feel for you Brick, and your fellow portlanders.  I don’t know what answer is possible atm.

[ Edited: 22 July 2020 08:47 by Jefe]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

22 July 2020 10:22

GAD was pissing off LJ regularly and long suffering Nhoj seemed to be constantly corralling him.

I wonder if he got 86’d?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10086
Joined  20-10-2006

22 July 2020 11:53

Cheshire Cat - 22 July 2020 10:22 AM

GAD was pissing off LJ regularly and long suffering Nhoj seemed to be constantly corralling him.

I wonder if he got 86’d?

GAD’s profile is deleted, so I suppose he was 86-ed.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9254
Joined  20-02-2006

22 July 2020 12:58

Cheshire Cat - 21 July 2020 11:41 AM

The tactics being employed here are reminiscent of Hitler’s “Brownshirts”: Thugs sent out to intimidate and suppress dissent.

“Federal agents”.  https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/508138-trump-signals-he-will-send-federal-agents-to-major-cities

Last year I read a new biography of Thoreau.  If I remember the anecdote right, federal agents arrived in Concord, Mass.to arrest Thoreau’s abolitionist friend Franklin Sanborn who was wanted for helping finance John Brown’s anti-slavery exploits.  As these 5 ‘agents’ were dragging the uncooperative Sanborn out of the house, intent on cuffing him into an ‘unmarked wagon’ and hauling him off to federal prison in Washington, the locals fell on them with frying pans and rolling pins and the ‘brownshirts’ had to flee without their man. I think the charges against the mild-mannered Sanborn would have been dire.  Treason?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Benjamin_Sanborn  (scroll down to see illustration of the incident - notice the woman spooking the horses)

[ Edited: 22 July 2020 13:04 by unsmoked]

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Joined  28-05-2009

22 July 2020 16:10

I appreciate the concern. Life is good. The news cycle infers that the city is in chaos. It isn’t. There are a handful of areas where these demonstrations occur. 99 percent of the community is untouched. No looting. No burning. No rioting. It’s a tight knit community. Clean. Friendly. Amazing food, music and art. Anyone who chooses to simply avoid the clash is free to do so with the exception of business owners in the courthouse blocks.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  507
Joined  14-09-2017

22 July 2020 16:19

Brick Bungalow - 20 July 2020 09:44 PM

I live in Portland. For twenty five years. I have been to the site of all the protest events. Know this. Every single thing Donald Trump has said about this city in the past week has been a lie. Every word.

Federal agents are here on his direct order. They are brutalizing peaceful protesters. We are watching with our own eyes. Two days ago they hospitalized a retired combat veteran who didn’t fight back in any way. They did the same to a group of mothers. And to several disabled people. They are operating in direct defiance of both the mayor and the governor and the jurisdiction of the Oregon DOJ. No local authority wants them here.

Our citizens are being beaten for political theater. I am a present witness. No social media clips. No hearsay. No partisan narrative.

If you support this you should know what you are supporting. It isn’t the constitution. It isn’t the safety of the people. It’s the opposite of those things.

Can you link some of the videos showing the feds brutalizing mothers and the disabled for no reason?
I haven’t seen much footage of anything in Portland, or if I have I didn’t realize it.

1 2 3 >  Last ›