1 2 > 

Defeating covid via the “kitchen sink”, in a few weeks

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8118
Joined  22-02-2014

27 July 2020 18:56

This article describes a relatively quick plan to truly knock the virus down to the size we can deal with. It involves a 90% shutdown of most everything for a few weeks.

Makes sense to me:

defeat covid

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  851
Joined  20-07-2017

27 July 2020 19:12

Could’ve done it 4 months ago too, if we had had our shit together.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/03/21/coronavirus-america-needs-five-week-national-lockdown-column/2890376001/

It’s all a matter of leadership.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8118
Joined  22-02-2014

27 July 2020 19:20

roger that

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7304
Joined  15-02-2007

27 July 2020 19:48

icehorse - 27 July 2020 06:56 PM

This article describes a relatively quick plan to truly knock the virus down to the size we can deal with. It involves a 90% shutdown of most everything for a few weeks.

Makes sense to me:

defeat covid

Might work. Might not. Depends on whether our understanding of the virus is sufficient to the task.
We don’t know as much as some think we do about this virus, and if we do that, then re-open an have more outbreaks, the plan, as outlined, fails.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

27 July 2020 20:20

As far as I can tell the US doesn’t have any systematic plan, so success is not an option at all; In the words of dear leader “it is what it is”.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

27 July 2020 21:07

mapadofu - 27 July 2020 08:20 PM

As far as I can tell the US doesn’t have any systematic plan…

Yup.  It’s very disturbing.  And I hope those responsible for inaction are brought to some kind of justice.

My question would be why was the pandemic play-book ignored or discarded?  Is ego going to be responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths?

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5399
Joined  28-05-2009

27 July 2020 22:42

I don’t think anyone can predict with certainty. The history of epidemics suggest that we may be still in the very early stages. Still, our best hope is to take common sense medical precautions early. We certainly didn’t do that nor are we doing it now. And our administration is about as bad on the issue as one could imagine.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10086
Joined  20-10-2006

28 July 2020 00:11

So far, the best way to defeat coronavirus is the ancient but effective recommendations given from the beginning, but. . . many Americans value their freedom from being told what to do more than their lives.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

28 July 2020 08:26

Skipshot - 28 July 2020 12:11 AM

So far, the best way to defeat coronavirus is the ancient but effective recommendations given from the beginning, but. . . many Americans value their freedom from being told what to do more than their lives.

It boggles the mind.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1579
Joined  01-11-2014

28 July 2020 14:45

European and Asian countries hunkered down early. Some nations would arrest or give citations to people who were caught outside during lock down. I’m sure there was some push back and resistance, but it appears the vast majority of people trusted their governmental authorities and the science they based their decisions upon.

Now Europe and Asia are able to re-open their businesses and return to semi-normal life.

If Trump had done the same as Europe and Asia in February, and explained to the nation why lock down was necessary and what the benefits would be by supporting it, the US might be on the road to recovery right now, instead of being on a steady decline.

And the incredible irony of it all, is that if the economy was actually coming back, then Trump could have taken credit for it all, which would have increased his chances of reelection greatly. Instead, he declared the virus a hoax or no worse than the flu, undermined his own health experts, encouraged people to ignore the guidelines that his own administration had put into place, and gave tacit support to not wearing masks or taking any precautions that would slow or stop the virus from spreading.

If he had done what was right from the beginning and shown true leadership, he would now be facing an somewhat easy victory in November. As it is currently, Trump is the underdog with Biden ahead of him in the polls. And, of course, hundreds of thousands of people would not be sick or dying.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6634
Joined  22-02-2005

28 July 2020 14:52

If we’re telling folks to think this through, we are impinging on their freedom from the stress of thinking anything through.

The sissy-flu is a coordinated hoax. The death count is exaggerated for political purposes. I don’t feel like wearing a politically correct costume. When is that damn Race War gonna finally happen?

How many of these free-from-thoughts will it take to undermine any plan we design?
I had two of them in my driveway last week.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5399
Joined  28-05-2009

28 July 2020 15:26

Skipshot - 28 July 2020 12:11 AM

The most dismal aspect is that, in most cases, it isn’t their life that they are endangering but rather an elderly person or someone with an immune deficiency or existing respiratory illness. They will mostly go unscathed from the current version of the virus and invoke that survival as proof that they were right. While another suffers the consequence.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  7085
Joined  08-12-2006

28 July 2020 18:33

icehorse - 27 July 2020 06:56 PM

Makes sense to me:

defeat covid

No, it doesn’t make sense because covid wouldn’t be “eliminated,” it would only be temporarily abated. Two of the countries touted in the article—Germany and Spain—are even now experiencing resurgences. The others will inevitably have their turn. The only way we’re going to eliminate covid is by achieving that magical “herd immunity,” either through vaccinations or enough people getting sick and recovering. We can keep knocking it down with repeated 90% lockdowns and it’ll just keep coming back after the lockdowns are lifted, until a certain percentage of the population has contracted it.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

28 July 2020 18:49

Or we could make commitment to make a long term adjustment to how we go about our business in order to manage the rate of spread so that we’re dealing with manageable small scale outbreaks instead of massive epidemics.  But that requires someone to actually have a vision of what that is and how we achieve it.

I had seen something about how Australia is thinking along these lines but haven’t been able to find it again.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

28 July 2020 18:56

Antisocialdarwinist - 28 July 2020 06:33 PM

The only way we’re going to eliminate covid is by achieving that magical “herd immunity,” either through vaccinations or enough people getting sick and recovering.

Except we don’t have evidence that contraction followed by recovery conveys lasting immunity.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  7085
Joined  08-12-2006

28 July 2020 21:08

mapadofu - 28 July 2020 06:49 PM

Or we could make commitment to make a long term adjustment to how we go about our business in order to manage the rate of spread so that we’re dealing with manageable small scale outbreaks instead of massive epidemics.  But that requires someone to actually have a vision of what that is and how we achieve it.

I had seen something about how Australia is thinking along these lines but haven’t been able to find it again.

Yes.

1 2 >