If Trump loses in November, will he continue his rallies as a cult leader?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9254
Joined  20-02-2006

31 July 2020 12:16

If Trump loses in November, will he continue his rallies as a cult leader?  If he continues his rallies as supreme leader of a Trump Confederacy, will the GOP try to distance itself from him?  Is that possible? 

quote:  “The next day, on the 244th anniversary of American independence, he stood on a stage built on the White House’s south lawn for an official event at taxpayer expense, to declare war against a growing majority of Americans who oppose him, dismissing them as “the radical left, the Marxists, the anarchists, the agitators, the looters, and people who, in many instances, have absolutely no clue what they are doing”. He claimed that “the process of defeating” those people is akin to the Greatest Generation’s battle against fascism during the Second World War.”  -  https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/trump-lose-2020-election-supporters-maga-presidency-a9606081.html

Related to this topic - PBS FRONTLINE - ‘United States of Conspiracy’  -  https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/united-states-of-conspiracy/ 

(“How trafficking in conspiracy theories went from the fringes of U.S. politics into the White House. FRONTLINE examines the alliance of conspiracy entrepreneur Alex Jones, Trump advisor Roger Stone, and the president, and their role in the battle over truth and lies.”)

[ Edited: 31 July 2020 12:32 by unsmoked]

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2121
Joined  14-08-2008

31 July 2020 14:27

Not sure about the continuation of rallies, but I did see that PBS Frontline episode when it aired the other night. Pretty good documentary. And even though I was already familiar with much of what it covered, it still boggles my mind that in this country there is such an appetite for, and appeal of, the sort of insanity that Alex Jones and his ilk disseminate. Just incredible that “bat shit crazy” is a real, significant, and politically influential demographic in our society. 

Ron

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

01 August 2020 13:41

MrRon - 31 July 2020 02:27 PM

Not sure about the continuation of rallies, but I did see that PBS Frontline episode when it aired the other night. Pretty good documentary. And even though I was already familiar with much of what it covered, it still boggles my mind that in this country there is such an appetite for, and appeal of, the sort of insanity that Alex Jones and his ilk disseminate. Just incredible that “bat shit crazy” is a real, significant, and politically influential demographic in our society. 

Ron

Late Night with Donald Trump?  Sponsors will be looking at how many followers he has, not to mention the 63 million who voted for him in 2016.  https://money.cnn.com/2017/06/17/technology/trump-social-media-followers/index.html

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5399
Joined  28-05-2009

02 August 2020 06:35

Well, he was something of a rally leader for the conspiracy crew for a couple years before announcing his candidacy. And that’s who wil probably stick with him as long he feels like feeding them. I know many conservatives will be relieved.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

02 August 2020 12:55

Brick Bungalow - 02 August 2020 06:35 AM

Well, he was something of a rally leader for the conspiracy crew for a couple years before announcing his candidacy. And that’s who wil probably stick with him as long he feels like feeding them. I know many conservatives will be relieved.

I can imagine Trump with a late night talk show.  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/people-drawn-to-conspiracy-theories-share-a-cluster-of-psychological-features/

quote from this article:  “One obvious reason for the current raised profile of this kind of thinking is that the U.S. president is a vocal conspiracy theorist. Donald Trump has suggested, among other things, that the father of Senator Ted Cruz of Texas helped to assassinate President John F. Kennedy and that Democrats funded the same migrant caravan traveling from Honduras to the U.S. that worried the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter.”  (end quote)

Besides conspiracy theorists, who else would stay up to watch Late Night with Donald Trump?  Followers of Limbaugh*, Hannity, Alex Jones?  White supremacists?  Evangelicals waiting for Armageddon?  The millions in the alt-right?  Would he succeed in continuing to split the country in half?

alt-right  noun

“In the US an ideological grouping associated with extreme conservative or reactionary viewpoints, characterized by a rejection of mainstream politics and by the use of online media to disseminate deliberately controversial content.”

“many in mainstream conservatism see the alt-right as a serious force”

If Colbert’s ratings presently top the list of late-night talk-show hosts with 3.6 million viewers, I can see Trump easily trumping that.  Supported by viewer donations like the TV evangelists?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/late-night-stephen-colbert

*Limbaugh is among the highest-paid radio figures. In 2018, Forbes listed his earnings at $84.5 million. In December 2019, Talkers Magazine estimated that Limbaugh’s show attracted a cumulative weekly audience of 15.5 million listeners to become the most-listened-to radio show in the United States.

[ Edited: 02 August 2020 13:11 by unsmoked]

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3117
Joined  19-01-2015

02 August 2020 20:51

Trump won’t hold rallies he has to pay for.
The moment he loses, he will start a 2024 campaign and use it as his personal account.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5399
Joined  28-05-2009

04 August 2020 07:54

Well, until our culture evolves and starts to appreciate a better standard of education and ethics we will have something akin to a Trump rally. It’s probably better that he keeps this corralled and gives this crowd its red meat. As opposed to them finding a new, younger, more astute and still politically viable candidate. The worst outcome of all, in my view would be a president with similarly totalitarian ambitions but who could appeal to a more mainstream voter.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

04 August 2020 11:39

Brick Bungalow - 04 August 2020 07:54 AM

Well, until our culture evolves and starts to appreciate a better standard of education and ethics we will have something akin to a Trump rally. It’s probably better that he keeps this corralled and gives this crowd its red meat. As opposed to them finding a new, younger, more astute and still politically viable candidate. The worst outcome of all, in my view would be a president with similarly totalitarian ambitions but who could appeal to a more mainstream voter.

https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/rick-steves-europe/the-story-of-fascism-in-europe-pthanf/

In this PBS documentary, notice the overwhelming mainstream support . . . and the worst outcome of all.  Without a doubt, Trump wished for a massive military parade, with himself on a balcony extending his hand to the cheering 63 million who voted for him , women weeping with joy and scattering flowers in front of his motorcade.  “Duce!  Duce!  Duce!”

In a way, it’s heartbreaking to watch this program, knowing how close we are to it.  By close, I mean the magnitude of his support, and what he’s attempting to put in place as we speak.