< 1 2

I’m Out.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3929
Joined  20-11-2013

01 September 2020 15:07

Had my routine doctor visit this afternoon.  I see him every three months because I take Xanax for my restless leg syndrome, and they’ve really tightened up on the prescribing, only 2 refills without a new script.  But I have no copay because of my medicare supplemental insurance, and my Xanax is also free.

On my last visit he said I was due for blood work, so he wrote me a script for that (no copay on that, either) and I had my blood drawn in early August.
I’m also seeing a dermatologist ($25 copay) because of my decades of working outside.  My first visit he biopsied a spot on my left cheek just below my eye, which came back positive.  On the next visit, he excised it and the lab results said he got it all.  Now he’s “cleaning [me] up” with liquid nitrogen.  He got a few pre-cancerous cells on my arms and the bald top of my head, and I’ve had two more visits for the same cleanup work.  He gets 12 to 20 each time, and making good progress.

So when my primary asked (as usual) if I was seeing any other doctor for any reason, I mentioned the dermatologist, and he said he had noticed the spots on my head that had been frozen last Wednesday.  Then he started looking through the results of my blood work on his laptop.  He said, “Bruce, how old are you?”  He knows my age, but there was a rising inflection in his question.

I said, “75”.

He replied, “You have the blood work of a 35 year-old.”  He read off each parameter followed by “... is perfect.”  My cholosterol is 174, and the balance “... is perfect.”  He then went into how I need to keep the brain active to stave off dementia, and studies have shown that learning new stuff and keeping the brain active slows the onset of dementia.

I told him I’ve started playing my guitar again, and learning new songs, even posted a couple on YouTube.

He said, “That’s perfect!”

Seems that I’m doing OK.

I slowed my posting here quite a while back, but I’m still here.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9367
Joined  20-02-2006

02 September 2020 11:32

bbearren - 01 September 2020 03:07 PM

Had my routine doctor visit this afternoon.  I see him every three months because I take Xanax for my restless leg syndrome, and they’ve really tightened up on the prescribing, only 2 refills without a new script.  But I have no copay because of my medicare supplemental insurance, and my Xanax is also free.

On my last visit he said I was due for blood work, so he wrote me a script for that (no copay on that, either) and I had my blood drawn in early August.
I’m also seeing a dermatologist ($25 copay) because of my decades of working outside.  My first visit he biopsied a spot on my left cheek just below my eye, which came back positive.  On the next visit, he excised it and the lab results said he got it all.  Now he’s “cleaning [me] up” with liquid nitrogen.  He got a few pre-cancerous cells on my arms and the bald top of my head, and I’ve had two more visits for the same cleanup work.  He gets 12 to 20 each time, and making good progress.

So when my primary asked (as usual) if I was seeing any other doctor for any reason, I mentioned the dermatologist, and he said he had noticed the spots on my head that had been frozen last Wednesday.  Then he started looking through the results of my blood work on his laptop.  He said, “Bruce, how old are you?”  He knows my age, but there was a rising inflection in his question.

I said, “75”.

He replied, “You have the blood work of a 35 year-old.”  He read off each parameter followed by “... is perfect.”  My cholosterol is 174, and the balance “... is perfect.”  He then went into how I need to keep the brain active to stave off dementia, and studies have shown that learning new stuff and keeping the brain active slows the onset of dementia.

I told him I’ve started playing my guitar again, and learning new songs, even posted a couple on YouTube.

Seems that I’m doing OK.

About the restless legs.  Have you tried a banana before bedtime?  If that fails, sometimes a bowl of oatmeal works.  Have you looked up the foods high in potassium?  Would be great if you could wean off the Xanax.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 September 2020 09:35

unsmoked - 02 September 2020 11:32 AM

About the restless legs.  Have you tried a banana before bedtime?  If that fails, sometimes a bowl of oatmeal works.  Have you looked up the foods high in potassium?  Would be great if you could wean off the Xanax.

I appreciate your concern, however It isn’t a potassium deficiency.  I’m ignorant, yeah, but I’m not that ignorant.  Xanax is not the first thing I tried for restless legs, it was the last thing I tried.  It works, trials over.  My doctor writes his prescription for my blood work with a broad brush, considering my age; lots of panels, including nutrients and B vitamins.  Us old folks tend to get deficient in the B’s, particularly B12, so he’s quite interested in the nutrients and B vitimans.

The only side effect I have is “Inducing Of A Relaxed Easy State”.  I’m assuming that you don’t experience restless leg syndrome personally.  I’ve heard it described in many ways, but I describe it like this: I consciously feel an urge to move (usually) my right leg.  I can resist that urge for a few minutes and my leg will stay relaxed, but after that few minutes my leg will move; a mild spasm, if you will.  It happens only when I’m lying down, usually at night, or when I have to sit in one place for a long time.

The urge to move is gone for several minutes, then I will begin to feel it again.  I can consciously move my leg, and the urge is gone for a few minutes, but it returns.  For years my remedy for this was to get up and walk around in the house for about ten minutes, then get back in bed.  Sometimes this would be enough, other times I might have to repeat my walking a few more times.  I worked shift work, and this was not a problem if I was on evening or midnight shift, but it was a drag when I was on day shift, having to get up at 4:30 AM.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9367
Joined  20-02-2006

04 September 2020 10:32

bbearren - 04 September 2020 09:35 AM
unsmoked - 02 September 2020 11:32 AM

I appreciate your concern, however It isn’t a potassium deficiency.  I’m ignorant, yeah, but I’m not that ignorant.  Xanax is not the first thing I tried for restless legs, it was the last thing I tried.  It works, trials over.  My doctor writes his prescription for my blood work with a broad brush, considering my age; lots of panels, including nutrients and B vitamins.  Us old folks tend to get deficient in the B’s, particularly B12, so he’s quite interested in the nutrients and B vitimans.

The only side effect I have is “Inducing Of A Relaxed Easy State”.  I’m assuming that you don’t experience restless leg syndrome personally.  I’ve heard it described in many ways, but I describe it like this: I consciously feel an urge to move (usually) my right leg.  I can resist that urge for a few minutes and my leg will stay relaxed, but after that few minutes my leg will move; a mild spasm, if you will.  It happens only when I’m lying down, usually at night, or when I have to sit in one place for a long time.

The urge to move is gone for several minutes, then I will begin to feel it again.  I can consciously move my leg, and the urge is gone for a few minutes, but it returns.  For years my remedy for this was to get up and walk around in the house for about ten minutes, then get back in bed.  Sometimes this would be enough, other times I might have to repeat my walking a few more times.  I worked shift work, and this was not a problem if I was on evening or midnight shift, but it was a drag when I was on day shift, having to get up at 4:30 AM.

I do experience RLS personally.  For years I treated it at bedtime by taking a tsp of calcium, like dolomite.  Now, for years, as described above.  Usually the banana works.  For me, a lot seems to depend on what was for dinner, and not eating close to bedtime; no sugar etc.  Yes, the B vitamins.  Each of us different, and always so many other variables.  Anyway, I agree with you.  Whatever works.  Not fun.

[ Edited: 04 September 2020 10:42 by unsmoked]

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6645
Joined  31-01-2012

05 September 2020 07:24

bbearren - 01 September 2020 03:07 PM

I said, “75”.

Seems that I’m doing OK.

It means you have some good time left to live. How’s the grieving process been treating you?

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5446
Joined  28-05-2009

07 September 2020 21:27

I was worried because my eyes have been burning today. I thought maybe it was a medical condition or maybe just some sentimental nostalgia. Turns out it was just forest fires. Hows that song go?

Safe travels wherever you go man.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8176
Joined  22-02-2014

14 September 2020 19:38

I recommend controlled articular rotations (CARS), for everyone. Here’s a link, but you can find many such videos:

CARS

Over time, with injuries and such, our brain-body proprioceptive map can lose accuracy and get “blurry”. When that happens all sorts of weird compensations and side effects can start kicking in. It might help restless leg, it might not, but it will definitely make you more agile, which is a good anti-aging goal in itself.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

15 September 2020 08:06

Jb8989 - 05 September 2020 07:24 AM

It means you have some good time left to live.

Wow!  Such insight!

How’s the grieving process been treating you?

Why the pretense?  You don’t know me.  For what it’s worth (despite your training), I’m not.  Grieving, that is.  I’m enjoying my retirement, spending time with my kids, getting together once or twice a month with friends for cards, talk and drinks, playing my guitar again, re-learning some old songs, learning some new songs, writing some new songs (posted a couple on YouTube).

< 1 2