What the Marquis de Lafayette said about helping the U.S. win it’s war for independence

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9367
Joined  20-02-2006

07 September 2020 12:21

quote:  George Washington also got a lesson in slavery’s evil from an old comrade-in-arms. The Marquis de Lafayette came from France to help the Americans win their independence but later had second thoughts. “I would never have drawn my sword in the cause of America, if I could have conceived that thereby I was founding a land of slavery,” he said.

So in 1783 he bought a plantation in a French colony in South America, not for profit but to prepare enslaved people for emancipation. Inviting Washington to participate, he touted it as demonstrating the feasibility of ending slavery everywhere.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/ct-grossman-statues-founding-fathers-knew-better-20200709-7qnh7e2i35b7dez5ixxouqj5ui-story.html

“Think we can’t judge Founding Fathers by modern ethical standards? Some of their peers did.”

quote:  In 1798, Thomas Jefferson was asked a favor by Thaddeus Kosciuszko, who had fought in America’s War of Independence a quarter of a century earlier. In gratitude for his service, Congress had awarded the Polish nobleman $15,000, which he had yet to touch. So on a sentimental visit to America, Kosciuszko asked Jefferson’s help in writing a will specifying how he wanted his money used.

The episode has languished in history’s footnotes. But it offers critical evidence in a heated dispute born of the Black Lives Matter movement.

In article, read what Polish nobleman Thadeus Kosciuszko discussed with Jefferson about writing his will.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10154
Joined  20-10-2006

08 September 2020 09:01

To be fair, we should give racists equal time to defend their side.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  358
Joined  19-06-2020

08 September 2020 09:54

You mean like the United Daughters of the Confederacy forcing textbook writers to present the Confederacy in a better light?

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6645
Joined  31-01-2012

08 September 2020 10:49

unsmoked - 07 September 2020 12:21 PM

quote:  George Washington also got a lesson in slavery’s evil from an old comrade-in-arms. The Marquis de Lafayette came from France to help the Americans win their independence but later had second thoughts. “I would never have drawn my sword in the cause of America, if I could have conceived that thereby I was founding a land of slavery,” he said.

So in 1783 he bought a plantation in a French colony in South America, not for profit but to prepare enslaved people for emancipation. Inviting Washington to participate, he touted it as demonstrating the feasibility of ending slavery everywhere.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/ct-grossman-statues-founding-fathers-knew-better-20200709-7qnh7e2i35b7dez5ixxouqj5ui-story.html

“Think we can’t judge Founding Fathers by modern ethical standards? Some of their peers did.”

quote:  In 1798, Thomas Jefferson was asked a favor by Thaddeus Kosciuszko, who had fought in America’s War of Independence a quarter of a century earlier. In gratitude for his service, Congress had awarded the Polish nobleman $15,000, which he had yet to touch. So on a sentimental visit to America, Kosciuszko asked Jefferson’s help in writing a will specifying how he wanted his money used.

The episode has languished in history’s footnotes. But it offers critical evidence in a heated dispute born of the Black Lives Matter movement.

In article, read what Polish nobleman Thadeus Kosciuszko discussed with Jefferson about writing his will.

Cool story. Lies are filters. Filters are shackles. The only problem is even history’s most moral and successful protagonists were both a product of their time AND ahead of it. The blind spots for people like that would almost have to be gapping - maybe even regardless of race?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9367
Joined  20-02-2006

08 September 2020 12:30

How is it we go through school without hearing this anecdote about Lafayette?  Why wouldn’t Trump want history books to teach that Lafayette thought he was helping George Washington fight for freedom for everyone, including slaves?

quote:  “Enslaved blacks hoped that the Revolutionary crisis would make it possible for them to secure their own liberty.  On the eve of the war in South Carolina, merchant Josiah Smith, Jr. noted such a rumor among the slaves:

“[Freedom] is their common Talk throughout the Province, and has occasioned impertinent behavior in many of them, insomuch that our Provincial Congress now sitting hath voted the immediate raising of Two Thousand Men Horse and food, to keep those mistaken creatures in awe.”

Despite such repressive measures, slave uprisings continued to plaague the southern colonies through 1775 and 1776.  (end quote)

(quoted from school history book - https://www.amazon.com/American-Pageant-David-M-Kennedy/dp/1111349533)

P.S.  This history book is blunt about other shades of 1776.  Washington writes in his diary:  ““Chimney corner patriots abound; venality, corruption, prostitution of office for selfish ends, abuse of trust, perversion of funds from a national to a private use, and speculations upon the necessities of the times pervade all interests.”

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6645
Joined  31-01-2012

08 September 2020 13:08

unsmoked - 08 September 2020 12:30 PM

How is it we go through school without hearing this anecdote about Lafayette?  Why wouldn’t Trump want history books to teach that Lafayette thought he was helping George Washington fight for freedom for everyone, including slaves?

quote:  “Enslaved blacks hoped that the Revolutionary crisis would make it possible for them to secure their own liberty.  On the eve of the war in South Carolina, merchant Josiah Smith, Jr. noted such a rumor among the slaves:

“[Freedom] is their common Talk throughout the Province, and has occasioned impertinent behavior in many of them, insomuch that our Provincial Congress now sitting hath voted the immediate raising of Two Thousand Men Horse and food, to keep those mistaken creatures in awe.”

Despite such repressive measures, slave uprisings continued to plaague the southern colonies through 1775 and 1776.  (end quote)

(quoted from school history book - https://www.amazon.com/American-Pageant-David-M-Kennedy/dp/1111349533)

P.S.  This history book is blunt about other shades of 1776.  Washington writes in his diary:  ““Chimney corner patriots abound; venality, corruption, prostitution of office for selfish ends, abuse of trust, perversion of funds from a national to a private use, and speculations upon the necessities of the times pervade all interests.”

Because Trump is a mild to moderate racist who used the American dream (myth) to get elected. That’s maybe why he wouldn’t want it in there. But I’ve heard other people argue that rewriting history is about fixing the present, which is full of people who already either don’t know shit about history, or are just using their own warped version of it to justify their own agenda anyway. A better question is why would anyone want to be lied to about anything - historical or otherwise?

Edit: I did some research and holy shit. Some of the textbooks teach slavery like a bunch of fine young chaps got to work in the sun all day and then a war happened and they were able to eat at an Applebee’s. One of my own middle school textbook’s appeared to be teaching that mixed people should be called mulatto and they’re cool because they’re the best of both worlds. And apparently slavery had some positives? Like dance parties! I’m just going to go ahead and change my mind on this topic.

[ Edited: 10 September 2020 06:31 by Jb8989]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10154
Joined  20-10-2006

08 September 2020 14:43

weird buffalo - 08 September 2020 09:54 AM

You mean like the United Daughters of the Confederacy forcing textbook writers to present the Confederacy in a better light?

The Daughters did not reciprocate, did they?

After review, my post above was lousy.  We are seeing in real time, right now, BLM vs. ALM and neither side seems to be moving the needle, which baffles me that there is any possible justification for racism.  To me, racism is inherently illogical and unproductive, which means logical arguments against racism won’t work.  Perhaps racism is based more on insecurity, fear, and willful stupidity.

As for how deep racism is entrenched in America, there are four amendments to the constitution which specifically were enacted to protect black folks - 13th (ending slavery, mostly), 14th (equal protection), 15th (right to vote), and 24th (abolition of poll taxes), then add the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and our black brothers and sisters are still targeted for mistreatment.