Have a thought, be a thought, take a thought, leave a thought. 

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6645
Joined  31-01-2012

10 September 2020 09:24

Forget about thought crimes and privacy violations. We’re way past that. The Constitution can’t even keep up. You can try to be unpredictable, but you’re already measurable as fuck. You can choose not to care, but algorithms rely on you dying pretending to be something you’re not. Imagine an international week of unplugging as a boycott to digital manipulation. Some SciFi is that something so small as leaving your phone in a drawer for a week would merge little AI’s into one big AI all over its own lust for your love. And then we’d have our first artificial conscious creature born out of seperation desperation.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5030
Joined  19-08-2010

10 September 2020 11:46

Ai with bed wetting issues? I’m sure I’ve seen that movie.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10154
Joined  20-10-2006

11 September 2020 16:39

I suspect the lack of responses is because we’re not quite sure what you’re saying.

Aloha Friday!  The first round is on me!

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3509
Joined  26-01-2010

12 September 2020 00:05

I really don’t think it has anything to do with AI, particularly. I think it has to do with the social nature of humans, in which individuals have to show that they fit in to be accepted by their social peers. This need will always result in a conflict between individual preferences and group demands, and it is seen in other social animals as well. My own long-time deep-seated “adjustment” to it is cynicism toward any expressed “values” and a general snarkiness toward authority of any kind, however expressed or transmitted.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5446
Joined  28-05-2009

12 September 2020 10:49

Poldano - 12 September 2020 12:05 AM

I really don’t think it has anything to do with AI, particularly. I think it has to do with the social nature of humans, in which individuals have to show that they fit in to be accepted by their social peers. This need will always result in a conflict between individual preferences and group demands, and it is seen in other social animals as well. My own long-time deep-seated “adjustment” to it is cynicism toward any expressed “values” and a general snarkiness toward authority of any kind, however expressed or transmitted.

Yeah. We are ultimately alone with and responsible for our own human weakness. I think that’s universal. At the same time technology and the failure to coordinate technology turns small failures in huge ones in terms of practical outcomes.

On AI in particular, social media algorithms work twenty four hours a day regurgitating our own prejudice back at us. I think this is a pretty unprecedented peak in the history of propaganda. I’m very happy to see a trend among young people of cancelling these accounts, reverting the flip phones and making a dedicated and coordinated effort to limit weekly internet usage.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8176
Joined  22-02-2014

12 September 2020 16:32

A cool idea I got from David Brin in his novel “Earth”.

We need to develop apps that are truly advocates for their users, not for corporations. These apps would be able to shield us from crap (super span filters), hide our locations from the internet overlords, and other such privacy and sanity preserving measures.

Poldano

Poldano
Joined  26-01-2010

13 September 2020 02:11

Brick Bungalow - 12 September 2020 10:49 AM
Poldano - 12 September 2020 12:05 AM

Yeah. We are ultimately alone with and responsible for our own human weakness. I think that’s universal. At the same time technology and the failure to coordinate technology turns small failures in huge ones in terms of practical outcomes.

On AI in particular, social media algorithms work twenty four hours a day regurgitating our own prejudice back at us. I think this is a pretty unprecedented peak in the history of propaganda. I’m very happy to see a trend among young people of cancelling these accounts, reverting the flip phones and making a dedicated and coordinated effort to limit weekly internet usage.

I get particularly amused at the AI-driven ads that try to sell me what I previously bought, like Amazon recommending books that I already bought from them, and CVS giving me coupons for stuff that I just bought around a year’s supply of.

Poldano

Poldano
Joined  26-01-2010

13 September 2020 02:13

icehorse - 12 September 2020 04:32 PM

We need to develop apps that are truly advocates for their users, not for corporations. These apps would be able to shield us from crap (super span filters), hide our locations from the internet overlords, and other such privacy and sanity preserving measures.

A version of such things already exist. They are subscriptions for services that are otherwise free.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8176
Joined  22-02-2014

13 September 2020 08:11

Poldano - 13 September 2020 02:13 AM

A version of such things already exist. They are subscriptions for services that are otherwise free.

That’s an interesting facet to be sure. I recently heard something I thought was really useful:

If you want good, quality journalism, then pay for it!

Poldano

Poldano
Joined  26-01-2010

16 September 2020 00:02

icehorse - 13 September 2020 08:11 AM
Poldano - 13 September 2020 02:13 AM

That’s an interesting facet to be sure. I recently heard something I thought was really useful:

If you want good, quality journalism, then pay for it!

Indeed.

Although it is also quite easy to pay for low-quality anything, or just something that masquerades as quality by appealing to one’s vanities.

Then, there’s the traditional time is money trope, according to which tolerating advertising is a payment.