Onion Satire?

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1670
Joined  01-11-2014

14 September 2020 16:54

I think the Onion is one of the best, most biting, and ultimately, one of the most truthful web publications around. They serve the archetypal role of Court Jester, telling truth to power behind a thinly veiled veneer of satire.

For a brief moment today, I thought I was reading the Onion satirizing assistant secretary of health for public affairs, Micheal Caputo. I wasn’t. I was reading the New York Times instead.

The article is based on comments made by Caputo during a Facebook event that he runs every Sunday.

He comes across as a paranoid, raving lunatic.

This isn’t satire folks, this is reality.

The top communications official at the powerful cabinet department in charge of combating the coronavirus made outlandish and false claims on Sunday that career government scientists were engaging in “sedition” in their handling of the pandemic and that left-wing hit squads were preparing for armed insurrection after the election.

Mr. Caputo, who has faced criticism for leading efforts to warp C.D.C. weekly bulletins to fit Mr. Trump’s pandemic narrative, suggested that he personally could be in danger.

“You understand that they’re going to have to kill me, and unfortunately, I think that’s where this is going,” Mr. Caputo, a Trump loyalist installed by the White House in April, told followers in a video he hosted live on his personal Facebook page.

“I don’t like being alone in Washington,” he said, describing “shadows on the ceiling in my apartment, there alone, shadows are so long.” He then ran through a series of conspiracy theories, culminating in a prediction that Mr. Trump will win re-election but his Democratic opponent, Joseph R. Biden Jr., will refuse to concede.

“And when Donald Trump refuses to stand down at the inauguration, the shooting will begin,” he said. “The drills that you’ve seen are nothing.” He added: “If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get.”

Mr. Caputo suggested, also without evidence, that the August killing of a Trump supporter in Portland, Ore., by an avowed supporter of the left-wing collective known as antifa was part of a broader left-wing plot to target the administration’s supporters.

“Remember the Trump supporter who was shot and killed?” he said. “That was a drill.”

The man suspected of the shooting, Michael Forest Reinoehl, was later shot dead by officers from a federally led fugitive task force in Washington State. He “went down fighting,” Mr. Caputo said. “Why? Because he couldn’t say what he had inside him.” He then spoke of “hit squads being trained all over this country” — a conspiracy theory unsupported by evidence.

He accused officials at the C.D.C. and other government agencies — including the Department of Health and Human Services — of deliberately subverting the president’s efforts to contain the pandemic. The C.D.C., he said, was riddled with anti-Trump researchers who “walk around like they are monks” and “holy men” but engage in “rotten science.”

Mr. Caputo has no background in health care. He worked on Mr. Trump’s 2016 campaign for a time but was passed over for a job early in the administration.

https://tinyurl.com/y2royuc8

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10273
Joined  20-10-2006

15 September 2020 15:53

Ha ha!!  Trump’s minions would rather start a civil war than lose their jobs.  The GOP is swirling the drain with Trump.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9520
Joined  20-02-2006

16 September 2020 13:19

This is actually one of Trump’s tactics since even before he was elected.  “Knock the crap out of protesters and I’ll pay your legal fees!”  https://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/02/01/trump-i-ll-pay-for-protester-beatings

Later he claims he was just joking, or misinterpreted by the fake news media.  The tactic is that Trump is deliberately planting seeds in the minds of his armed extremist supporters, calling on them to prevent his eviction from the White House if he loses in November.

Remember those who armed themselves with machine guns and took over the Malheur Wildlife Refuge headquarters? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_the_Malheur_National_Wildlife_Refuge

Trump and his minions like Caputo can easily back off and say they were just kidding, or having a bad day, but they know very well what they’re doing.  They know whose ears perked up when they heard ‘the message’.  Are we really imagining that the right-wing paramilitary groups are not already buying extra ammunition for their machine guns?  Not discussing with their fellow ‘patriots’ about the convoys to DC.  How they will deploy around the White House?  How they will get federal troops to join them? 

Trump continues his efforts to convince the paramilitary extremists in his base that it’s the generals who are enemies of the people.  His tweets imply that the troops support him even if the brass doesn’t.  His tactics convince his base that the National Guard and federal troops will join them to keep him in power as the legitimate president no matter if a fraudulent election says otherwise.

I wish all Americans would read these statements about Trump made by top military leaders.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/politics/military-leaders-trump-floyd-protests/index.html

[ Edited: 16 September 2020 13:34 by unsmoked]