‘Like an Experimental Concentration Camp’: Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Center

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  546
Joined  03-08-2014

14 September 2020 20:54
Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1614
Joined  01-11-2014

15 September 2020 11:06

My wife is a nurse.

In the hospital where she used to work, people would take note of the behavior of doctors and the nursing staff all knew who the good doctors were, and who were the money-grubbing quacks.

It would quickly become common knowledge that Doctor X pushed unnecessary surgeries just to fatten up his bank account.

I think that’s probably the case with this article.

An unethical doctor has a chance to bill the government for unnecessary surgeries, probably at exorbitant prices, while his powerless victims must endure his mutilation in silence.

So much for the Hippocratic oath to “Do no harm.”

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  546
Joined  03-08-2014

15 September 2020 13:15

Cheshire Cat - 15 September 2020 11:06 AM

My wife is a nurse.

In the hospital where she used to work, people would take note of the behavior of doctors and the nursing staff all knew who the good doctors were, and who were the money-grubbing quacks.

It would quickly become common knowledge that Doctor X pushed unnecessary surgeries just to fatten up his bank account.

I think that’s probably the case with this article.

An unethical doctor has a chance to bill the government for unnecessary surgeries, probably at exorbitant prices, while his powerless victims must endure his mutilation in silence.

So much for the Hippocratic oath to “Do no harm.”

Yes, it’s possible.  At least Doctor X’s victims were free and one hopes, cognizant, if too trusting.  If money-grubbing by the doctor is the main motive, there are still lots of others who are complicit, and I’m not sure the monetary motive is an excuse for what appear to be genocidal practices.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5446
Joined  28-05-2009

15 September 2020 13:59

The eugenic policies of fascist regimes were initially developed in US sanitariums. This is horrifying but not new. I suspect it has persisted in pockets this whole time. Now emboldened by rampant nationalism. We are hurtling toward something we supposedly fought wars to confront. Cast those votes.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3653
Joined  26-03-2013

18 September 2020 08:41

Statement from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement:

The accusations will be fully investigated by an independent office, however, ICE vehemently disputes the implication that detainees are used for experimental medical procedures…the health, welfare and safety of ICE detainees is one of the agency’s highest priorities, any assertion or claim to the contrary is false and intentionally misleading.

While this states they do not practice “experimental medical procedures” a hysterectomy wouldn’t likely qualify as “experimental” so it fails to address that specific accusation.  What I am not reading in that statement is a denial of performing mass hysterectomies.