What Most Trump Supporters and Most Democrats Have In Common - (opinion)

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9438
Joined  20-02-2006

02 October 2020 11:59

What do most Trump supporters and most Democrats have in common?

1.  Both use about 32 times more fossil fuels and the planet’s other resources than 5 billion people in Third World countries.

2.  Neither Trump’s (2016) 63 million voters or Clinton’s (2016) 66 million voters have any intention of giving up their profligate lifestyles in order to mitigate the disastrous consequences of climate change caused by burning fossil fuel. 

3.  Republicans and Democrats both suffer from high rates of obesity, although -

Overall, men and women with college degrees had lower obesity prevalence compared with those with less education.

Obesity often leads to diabetes, and the present epidemic in both parties may lead to the bankruptcy of the healthcare system. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-usa-trump-risk-int/older-overweight-and-male-trumps-covid-risk-factors-make-him-vulnerable-idUSKBN26N23I

4.  (your opinion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45cYwDMibGo  (Beatles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiT12uSKTT8  (Can you feel his disease?)

[ Edited: 02 October 2020 12:07 by unsmoked]
Image Attachments

134_3471.JPG

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3550
Joined  26-01-2010

03 October 2020 00:56

I can feel his disease.

YouTube pulled up some other covers of Come Together when I clicked. I might have to start listening to Rock & Roll again.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

03 October 2020 20:59

unsmoked - 02 October 2020 11:59 AM

What do most Trump supporters and most Democrats have in common?

1.  Both use about 32 times more fossil fuels and the planet’s other resources than 5 billion people in Third World countries.

2.  Neither Trump’s (2016) 63 million voters or Clinton’s (2016) 66 million voters have any intention of giving up their profligate lifestyles in order to mitigate the disastrous consequences of climate change caused by burning fossil fuel.

If a foreign country set fire to America’s forests, or flooded U.S. cities, Americans would see it as an act of war or an international crime.

It’s time for the world’s people, more than 7 billion of us, to vote to make it an international crime to harm the planet.

This movement wants to make harming the planet an international crime

The Stop Ecocide campaign aims to criminalize destroying the environment – and save our collective home in the process

https://www.theguardian.com/climate-academy/2020/sep/16/ecocide-environment-destruction-international-crime?utm_campaign=grounded&utm_medium=TD&utm_source=onsite

A STATE OF EMERGENCY

Climate change is not a problem that the world can wait to address. It’s here, and we’re already feeling the repercussions in our daily lives, from increasingly active hurricane seasons and 100-year record floods to punishing droughts and rampaging wildfires.

“A change of our lifestyles personally and collectively has to begin with a moral awakening, an ecological conversion. We need a true conversion of the heart. We need to examine our unsustainable patterns of consumption. We need to become aware that our addiction to excessive quantities of goods, comforts and services come at the cost of despoiling the atmosphere, forests and oceans, and exploiting the world’s poor,” Fr. Joshtrom says. “Otherwise, we will keep on deceiving ourselves with a bit of recycling and greenwashing while the planet and the poor continue to languish.”

“We’ll need to put up a “united front in responding to the collapse of our common home,” he continues, and create a real sense of urgency that we are running out of time. How do we do that? By building up a critical mass of environmental activism from below, Fr. Joshtrom says, and the arrival of young climate champions in recent years on the global stage has made a “huge difference” in bringing these issues to light.”

About point number 2 above - I tried to post a photo of the Obamas’ ‘cottage’ on Martha’s Vineyard - but then this post was blacklisted for some reason.  Google Obama’s house on Martha’s Vineyard and tell me what you think their carbon footprint is.

At this site, slide the bar from 1800 to 2018 to see which countries are producing most per capita CO2 -  https://ourworldindata.org/per-capita-co2

[ Edited: 03 October 2020 21:11 by unsmoked]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8190
Joined  22-02-2014

11 October 2020 08:47

I’m with you on this unsmoked. And I’ll keep saying that it’s the oligarchs that are making all of this much worse. Starting with making our education system an ineffective, “for profit” enterprise.

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  565
Joined  03-08-2014

11 October 2020 10:57

icehorse - 11 October 2020 08:47 AM

I’m with you on this unsmoked. And I’ll keep saying that it’s the oligarchs that are making all of this much worse. Starting with making our education system an ineffective, “for profit” enterprise.

Isn’t “oligarch” a dog-whistle codeword for “Jew”?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8190
Joined  22-02-2014

11 October 2020 12:54

lynmc - 11 October 2020 10:57 AM
icehorse - 11 October 2020 08:47 AM

Isn’t “oligarch” a dog-whistle codeword for “Jew”?

Not in my book, can’t speak for others. Gates, Bezos, Zuckerberg, CEOs of huge corps that basically don’t pay their taxes. Those are the oligarchs I’m talking about. If some of them are Jewish, that’s coincidental.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

12 October 2020 12:28

I wonder how many teachers in wealthy countries tell their students that their greedy lifestyle is ruining the planet?  http://www.cnn.com/US/9910/12/population.cosumption/

“World’s wealthiest 16 percent uses 80 percent of natural resources”

Teachers have to be careful what they say about this and other simple truths?

[ Edited: 12 October 2020 12:33 by unsmoked]
Image Attachments

130_3006--6.JPG