The Last Head Hunter  

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9945
Joined  20-02-2006

04 October 2020 14:01

I post this movie in the Science category because we are probably the last generation able to come in contact with stone age people.  Gripping.  Unnerving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWC7HbZdPLQ

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1923
Joined  19-06-2020

24 October 2020 22:54

The number of known uncontacted people has actually grown in the past 20 years.  Whether there are more or fewer of them, I’m not sure, but for example the number of known tribes has gone from 40 to 67 in Brazil, and that’s just the last 15 years.  How many are left to discover? There are probably about 120 tribes, most with numbers around 100-400 people.

Considering how hard it is to develop the Amazon, and how deep some of these people live, I doubt they’ll disappear any time soon as a concept.  Specific tribes are in grave danger, especially with Bolsonaro in charge.

The missionary who was killed a few years ago in India isn’t a throwback to colonial/imperial times.  It’s much more related to an “exxxtreme” missionary ethic, and I really mean that in the snowboarder/skateboarder sense.  It’s like a combination of extreme sports and being a missionary.