< 1 2

It terrifies me the idea that the self doesn`t exist.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  985
Joined  20-07-2017

16 November 2020 20:21

Hakuna Matata - 14 November 2020 03:31 AM
jro - 11 November 2020 02:05 PM
Hakuna Matata - 11 November 2020 04:31 AM

Myself I also have yet to experience transcendence of the self. It is quite interesting that you find this perspective scary while most meditators really want to get there. The thing is that what replaces the self isn’t nothing, rather a none-dualist state, where the separation of subject and object has been overcome. So you can experience true deep connectedness with others, and you cease to be so self-absorbed. To me this sounds like the best recipe for overcoming suffering. But again, I haven’t been there. So this is essentially hearsay…

I wonder if this state that can only be reached under very specific circumstances and only temporarily. Because I believe our sense of self was constructed by the brain for a practical reason. If I sit down to work or solve a problem, I usually have this dialogue in my head where I try to consider all my options before I pick the most appropriate solution. I can`t see how something like this can be done when you are contemplaiting existence in a non-dualistic state.

I see people claiming they don`t have thoughts anymore or very few all the time. How can someone live like that and still be a funcioning member of society? If you don`t think, how can you act? All our actions come after we think.

I don`t want to undermine the importance of such a state. I understand how useful it can be. I just don`t see how it could be usefull all the time but I must be getting something wrong about how it is to experience a none-dualistic state.

Are you sure that all of our actions can only come /after/ we think?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9520
Joined  20-02-2006

17 November 2020 10:57

mapadofu - 16 November 2020 08:21 PM

Are you sure that all of our actions can only come /after/ we think?

24/7 we probably carry out more than 10,000 ‘actions’ per minute without knowing about it, let alone thinking about it. 

There weren’t any brains during the first 3 billion years of our evolution.  Do we sometimes laugh without thinking about it?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65jqrHQi_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60o3Aua0rfc

Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata
Total Posts:  7
Joined  28-10-2020

17 November 2020 15:51

I wasn’t thinking about involuntary or automatic actions. I was thinking more about when we have to sit down to make a decision or a plan something. But I think I found the answer I was looking for. I saw one of Sam’s podcasts where he tells this meditation teacher that when we are focused on a task, we lose our sense of self. So when we are lost in thought the ‘self’ is not there. The difference after meditating for a long time and reaching this transcendence of the self, is that that when you bring your mind back to focus, that sense of self is still gone. Whereas in normal people, we believe there’s a thinker doing the thinking.

He also says that thoughts are not the enemy. Everything we see around us is a product of thought. We wouldn’t have developed our tecnhology without them. That’s what he says and I believe it makes sense.

Thank you all. I will check the links!

< 1 2