https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myi2Ckj3btw

Unhinged and deplorable.

Ron

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1670
Joined  01-11-2014

17 November 2020 16:08

And somehow, we’re supposed to reach out and deal with these crazy people who have closed minds and are delusional.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5476
Joined  28-05-2009

17 November 2020 22:16

The single greatest accomplishment of the Trump administration is that the average age of a Republican voter is now fifty and the most populous Republican stronghold states only have a few short years before they age out. My gratitude to all the state officials who have refused cooperation with Trumps unconstitutional requests. Most of them Republican as it turns out.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9520
Joined  20-02-2006

18 November 2020 08:45

(from another topic this morning)

Suppose the hawks in Iran advanced a plan to kill Trump as retaliation for his killing General Qasem Soleimani at the Baghdad Airport.  Suppose President Rouhani nixed the idea.  His reasoning?  Leaving Trump to his own devices - his daily tweets, conspiracy theories, false claims about election fraud, bungling response to the pandemic, divisive rallies, encouraging domestic terrorists . . . All this make him Iran’s greatest weapon against the U.S.

Other reasons America’s enemies love Trump?

1.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/us/politics/trump-nato-withdraw.html

2.  U.S. allies around the world who welcome the election of Biden/Harris, are reminded by Jon Voight that millions of Americans consider liberal democracies evil and satanic.

[ Edited: 18 November 2020 12:36 by unsmoked]

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  615
Joined  19-06-2020

18 November 2020 11:07

When Trump won, “centrists” like Sam Harris blamed the left.  If you pressed him, he’d say that people like Voight are wrong and part of the problem… but then he’d bring it back around to blaming the left for why Voight is like that.  This is in essence his argument in the recent episode talking about Trump’s appeal.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10273
Joined  20-10-2006

18 November 2020 13:20

Sore losers blame their loss on forces beyond their control or a conspiracy against them, instead of either accepting they were beaten or analyzing how to improve their performance.

[ Edited: 18 November 2020 22:18 by Skipshot]

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  594
Joined  03-08-2014

18 November 2020 15:37

I have to confess I think Trump is evil and Republicans have stolen past elections, such as Bush against Gore (no, I don’t think Trump stole the election from Clinton).  And, I think Trump & his followers are tearing the nation apart.  If I were religious, I’d call Trump a servant of Satan, although, I like to fact-check things, and that’s not one I could successfully check.  So maybe I have something in common with that nutcase.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7481
Joined  15-02-2007

18 November 2020 16:14

lynmc - 18 November 2020 03:37 PM

Republicans have stolen past elections

I would argue that Republicans have negatively (or unfairly) influenced elections for decades through voter intimidation and disenfranchisement, rampant gerrymandering, and electoral college stacking.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22030
Joined  11-03-2007

18 November 2020 16:39

Jefe - 18 November 2020 04:14 PM

Republicans have stolen past elections

I would argue that Republicans have negatively (or unfairly) influenced elections for decades through voter intimidation and disenfranchisement, rampant gerrymandering, and electoral college stacking.

Agree. They know that if American citizens all voted, they would NEVER win the Presidency again. They are the most in democratic institution in the USA.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  7197
Joined  08-12-2006

18 November 2020 16:43

I have to confess I think Trump is evil and Republicans have stolen past elections, such as Bush against Gore…

Assuming you mean that the Supreme Court called the election which would otherwise have gone to Gore, The New York Times disagrees with you:

A comprehensive review of the uncounted Florida ballots from last year’s presidential election reveals that George W. Bush would have won even if the United States Supreme Court had allowed the statewide manual recount of the votes that the Florida Supreme Court had ordered to go forward.

Contrary to what many partisans of former Vice President Al Gore have charged, the United States Supreme Court did not award an election to Mr. Bush that otherwise would have been won by Mr. Gore. A close examination of the ballots found that Mr. Bush would have retained a slender margin over Mr. Gore if the Florida court’s order to recount more than 43,000 ballots had not been reversed by the United States Supreme Court.

Article from Nov 12, 2001, back when the Times was biased, but before it became partisan.

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  594
Joined  03-08-2014

18 November 2020 18:28

Antisocialdarwinist - 18 November 2020 04:43 PM

I have to confess I think Trump is evil and Republicans have stolen past elections, such as Bush against Gore…

Assuming you mean that the Supreme Court called the election which would otherwise have gone to Gore, The New York Times disagrees with you:

A comprehensive review of the uncounted Florida ballots from last year’s presidential election reveals that George W. Bush would have won even if the United States Supreme Court had allowed the statewide manual recount of the votes that the Florida Supreme Court had ordered to go forward.

Contrary to what many partisans of former Vice President Al Gore have charged, the United States Supreme Court did not award an election to Mr. Bush that otherwise would have been won by Mr. Gore. A close examination of the ballots found that Mr. Bush would have retained a slender margin over Mr. Gore if the Florida court’s order to recount more than 43,000 ballots had not been reversed by the United States Supreme Court.

Article from Nov 12, 2001, back when the Times was biased, but before it became partisan.

I don’t know who was doing the reviewing or what was being reviewed in the article.  Here’s the Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_presidential_election_recount_in_Florida.  It appears that if a statewide count of uncounted ballots (including overvotes where there was no ambiguity over the voter selection, e.g., punching the chad for Gore as well as writing in Gore) had been taken, Gore would have won.  If they only did the counties the Democrats originally asked for with no overvotes, Bush did win.  Florida law did say that a vote should be counted if the voter’s intent was clear, so really the overvotes should have been counted.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  7197
Joined  08-12-2006

18 November 2020 18:56

lynmc - 18 November 2020 06:28 PM
Antisocialdarwinist - 18 November 2020 04:43 PM

I don’t know who was doing the reviewing or what was being reviewed in the article.  Here’s the Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_presidential_election_recount_in_Florida.  It appears that if a statewide count of uncounted ballots (including overvotes where there was no ambiguity over the voter selection, e.g., punching the chad for Gore as well as writing in Gore) had been taken, Gore would have won.  If they only did the counties the Democrats originally asked for with no overvotes, Bush did win.  Florida law did say that a vote should be counted if the voter’s intent was clear, so really the overvotes should have been counted.

The Times was doing the reviewing. I think that if there’d been any way for them to avoid coming to the conclusion that Bush would have won anyway, they’d have avoided coming to that conclusion. The article addresses the claims cited on Wikipedia. I don’t think it’s behind a paywall. Wikipedia is generally a good source to familiarize oneself with a topic, but probably shouldn’t be considered the final word on any topic as controversial as this.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

18 November 2020 21:42
Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10273
Joined  20-10-2006

18 November 2020 22:27

weird buffalo - 18 November 2020 09:42 PM

The Trump campaign is intentionally making international situations worse in order to make it harder for the Biden administration to do anything.

But it’s liberals who have to be more accommodating…

Trump is irrelevant and no one in Washington will take him seriously.  Likely, everyone under his authority will pay him lip service about carrying out his scorched-earth orders, and the best Trump can do is fire people.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3597
Joined  26-01-2010

19 November 2020 01:11

Skipshot - 18 November 2020 10:27 PM

The Trump campaign is intentionally making international situations worse in order to make it harder for the Biden administration to do anything.

Trump is irrelevant and no one in Washington will take him seriously.  Likely, everyone under his authority will pay him lip service about carrying out his scorched-earth orders, and the best Trump can do is fire people.

We cross our fingers.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

19 November 2020 06:53

Skipshot - 18 November 2020 10:27 PM

Some of the people you’re talking about would go to jail if they fail to carry out his policy.  And firing people can be quite effective if you get the new person in there who will carry out the policy.

All of that is beside the point.  The core issue is that people are holding Democrats to a standard that they don’t hold Republicans.  And it’s Democrats fault that Republicans don’t meet it.

1 2 >