Science Projects for Children (we create a book)

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9615
Joined  20-02-2006

17 December 2020 11:32

Here on this forum, what if we were to come up with about 25 new science projects for children, submit them to a publisher, and if, by chance, a successful book was published, donate the royalties to help keep the Sam Harris Forum going?  Compensation for our long-suffering moderators?

Ideas should be inexpensive, not dangerous, maybe practical for a classroom if not at home, original (your own idea).

I haven’t looked to see if this is original, but here is one idea:

Question:  Can sunflower seeds generate electricity?

Project:  Hook up a micro-generator to a hamster’s treadmill and use it to light an LED.  (classroom experiment, but I forgot that hamsters generally sleep all day)

Any ideas?.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7606
Joined  15-02-2007

17 December 2020 12:19

Can a Mancala Game demonstrate the way amortization of savings works?
Also, can it demonstrate how impulse spending can amortize shortages over extended periods of time?
Edit: can a Mancala Game be used to demonstrate how credit cards and minimum payments extend debt over a lengthy period and vastly increase the profit of those credit companies?

[ Edited: 17 December 2020 12:22 by Jefe]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9615
Joined  20-02-2006

18 December 2020 13:08

Jefe - 17 December 2020 12:19 PM

Can a Mancala Game demonstrate the way amortization of savings works?
Also, can it demonstrate how impulse spending can amortize shortages over extended periods of time?
Edit: can a Mancala Game be used to demonstrate how credit cards and minimum payments extend debt over a lengthy period and vastly increase the profit of those credit companies?

I never heard of this game but looked it up.  You can buy a solid wood Mancala game board for less than $10.  I’d like to learn the things you mention.

Here’s another idea I haven’t ironed out yet.  The teacher brings in a large exercise ball and a poppy seed.  The ball and seed sit side by side on the desk - the seed on a sheet of white paper so it can be seen.  (a small dark speck).

1.  The large exercise ball represents 300 million years or more that it took plants to deposit all the coal, oil, and gas that was in the ground when Europeans arrived in America.  The poppy seed represents the past 200 years of the Industrial Revolution.  The teacher opens the valve on the ball and students take turns pressing on it until it’s flat.  The teacher explains that in 200 years people used up most of the hydrocarbons in the ground that it took nature 300 million and more years to deposit there.  Question for the class:  Where did all that carbon go?  Answer:  into the atmosphere and oceans.  Question:  What is the result? 

The ball can also represent the time it took for the earth’s supply of coal, oil, and gas to form.  The poppy seed next to it represents the 300 years it took to burn it all.  (teacher snaps fingers - “Burned up in a brief flash of time and our grandchildren will have to deal with the consequences!  Question for class:  What are the consequences?