Unarmed white Air Force veteran protester shot and killed by capitol police

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  623
Joined  14-09-2017

09 January 2021 08:32

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/us/who-was-ashli-babbitt.amp.html

It doesn’t appear that Babbit was posing any imminent threat to anyone’s life.  She was simply climbing through a passage when she was shot without any apparent warning.  This cop that shot her appears to be white.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  815
Joined  19-06-2020

09 January 2021 09:27

And of course then you immediately turn around and defend white protesters.  I am so not shocked.

You spent the last 7-8 months telling us how bad the BLM protests were because they were violent, and when another protests evolves into literal insurrection, you start making excuses for it.

This forum is really tolerant of the racism you present us with.

[ Edited: 09 January 2021 09:40 by weird buffalo]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10451
Joined  20-10-2006

09 January 2021 11:01

weird buffalo - 09 January 2021 09:27 AM

We learned to ignore racist dill weeds a while ago, and they go away.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

09 January 2021 11:18

Skipshot - 09 January 2021 11:01 AM

We learned to ignore racist dill weeds a while ago, and they go away.

Oh, hi Skip.  I thought you might post about this after posting about Jacob Blake “police shoot another unarmed black man in the back”.  Except blake wasn’t unarmed, and was shot in the side as much as shot in the back.  What’s the difference?  Oh this person was white.  You racist!
And I’m prepared to argue why this shooting may be justified- despite your and WBs mindreading ability. 
The framing of the topic I chose was something out of the media’s playbook.  Well the media only if Ms. Babbit was black.

deodand

deodand
Total Posts:  134
Joined  06-01-2021

09 January 2021 12:16

There it is: black privilege.  Criticize a black person, or a black cause, and if you can’t demonstrate to our satisfaction that you’ve proportionately criticized white people or white causes, you are a racist.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

09 January 2021 13:15

And of course then you immediately turn around and defend white protesters.  I am so not shocked.

You spent the last 7-8 months telling us how bad the BLM protests were because they were violent, and when another protests evolves into literal insurrection, you start making excuses for it.

I find this incident similar to navy sweatshirt guy up in Portland, you remember him don’t you?  In that case I stated why the beating and peeper spray might have been appropriate by the police.  Imagine that - a white man is beaten and pepper sprayed and I make a case for the cops?  What a racist!
This is similar because of context.  This wasn’t a lady presenting no immediate threat in an ordinary place on an ordinary day.  Her actions are in the presence of a riot. 
So we can add navy sweatshirt guy to the list of people I’ve criticized here.  Joe Biden, Donald Trump, navy sweatshirt, Ezra Klien, etc.  They’re all white.  These anti-white racists around here like myself need to be ignored.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3751
Joined  26-03-2013

09 January 2021 13:40

Mind the rope gentlemen.  I wouldn’t want anyone tripping prematurely.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1713
Joined  01-11-2014

09 January 2021 14:15

Her death is unfortunate, but when one is in the middle of a rampaging mob attempting to the smash their way into the US Capitol Building where Congresspeople and Senators are present, being shot is a very real possibility.

I’m surprised more people weren’t killed or harmed.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

09 January 2021 15:11

DEGENERATEON - 09 January 2021 01:15 PM

I find this incident similar to navy sweatshirt guy up in Portland, you remember him don’t you?  In that case I stated why the beating and peeper spray might have been appropriate by the police.  Imagine that - a white man is beaten and pepper sprayed and I make a case for the cops?  What a racist!
This is similar because of context.  This wasn’t a lady presenting no immediate threat in an ordinary place on an ordinary day.  Her actions are in the presence of a riot. 
So we can add navy sweatshirt guy to the list of people I’ve criticized here.  Joe Biden, Donald Trump, navy sweatshirt, Ezra Klien, etc.  They’re all white.  These anti-white racists around here like myself need to be ignored.

They aren’t similar at all.  One need only watch the videos and the differences become blindingly obvious.

You are attempting to lie and obfuscate in order to make a point.  Unfortunately the first point you’re making is that you’re willing to lie and obfuscate.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

09 January 2021 15:44

Cheshire Cat - 09 January 2021 02:15 PM

Her death is unfortunate, but when one is in the middle of a rampaging mob attempting to the smash their way into the US Capitol Building where Congresspeople and Senators are present, being shot is a very real possibility.

I’m surprised more people weren’t killed or harmed.

Agreed.  You might have some that say “why didn’t they just arrest her?”.  I argue that the context makes all of the difference.  Do you focus the cops attention on making an arrest while others pour into that area?  Arresting the mob isn’t possible- it will likely result in more chaos. 
It’s similar for any crowd control situation.  You have limited resources- hence tear gas etc.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

09 January 2021 21:43

If you watch the video of her being shot, others around her are explicitly threatening officers.  Essentially “you don’t have to be here, you don’t have to get hurt for them (referring to Congress)”.  She’s literally standing in the middle of a mob that is threatening officers lives.

Christopher David was standing alone, and no evidence of threats to harm the officers has been presented.

Potato

Potato
Total Posts:  5
Joined  09-01-2021

09 January 2021 23:33

It’s a shame that she was killed, but wasn’t she breaking into the Capital while Congress was in session?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3238
Joined  19-01-2015

09 January 2021 23:39

where is the Blue Lives Matter when it comes to White People getting shot by a cop doing his job?

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3674
Joined  26-01-2010

10 January 2021 00:29

In the information I’ve been presented about both Ashlii Babbit and Jacob Blake, they apparently had something in common. Both seem to have had difficulty controlling their anger. So do I, so I’m sympathetic to them if only for that.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

10 January 2021 18:34

1. The mob that stormed the capital building was engaged in insurrection.  Not just in a rhetorical fashion, but under the laws of the US.
2. Rhetorically, what they did was treason.  It doesn’t fall under the legal definition, since they were not aiding/supporting an enemy of the US who is currently engaged in open warfare.  It’s still “treasonous”, as in having the je ne sais quoi of treason.
3. It was a literal attempt to overthrow the government and install an unelected man as President.

Am I glad she was shot?  No.  I don’t think she should have been.  I don’t think shooting her served any purpose, and in general, I am opposed to killing people unless it is to save other lives in that moment[.  I don’t think she represented a direct threat to anyone’s live.

That said, she did represent an indirect danger.  She was surrounded by a mob.  That mob had literally just filmed themselves threatening bodily harm to capital security officers.  Not somewhere else.  Not in another location, but within a few feet of Babbitt.  She was contributing to the mob, giving it energy and emotion.  She was engaging in an armed rebellion, even if she herself was not armed.  She was not trying to leave.  She was trying to complete the crime she was currently engaged in.  I don’t think she deserved to die because of it, but those are significant differences between her and someone like Blake or Floyd.

I don’t necessarily see the officer as being at fault here either.  Rather, I think their superiors failed to control the situation.  By allowing the protest to get that close to the capital building, by not utilizing resources from the myriad agencies just blocks away who have been dealing with protesters around the country in order to create a perimeter that would have kept both lawmakers and protesters safe, those in charge of the capital police bear the responsibility of her death.