Parler data to be used to find protesters?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7606
Joined  15-02-2007

11 January 2021 09:03

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/parler-users-unknowingly-gave-away-121217422.html

GPS positioning data embedded in videos shared during the insurrection has been saved and shared.
Looks like a bit of a sticky situation for those caught, unknowingly, in the honey-pot.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5751
Joined  05-04-2006

11 January 2021 10:01

Jefe - 11 January 2021 09:03 AM

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/parler-users-unknowingly-gave-away-121217422.html

GPS positioning data embedded in videos shared during the insurrection has been saved and shared.
Looks like a bit of a sticky situation for those caught, unknowingly, in the honey-pot.

I have to admit, until the past couple of days, I did not realize that Parler had required users to submit a form of ID to register.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10451
Joined  20-10-2006

11 January 2021 14:10

Trump issued an executive order on June 26th, 2020 which specifically addressed damage done to federal buildings and monuments:  https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-protecting-american-monuments-memorials-statues-combating-recent-criminal-violence/

The order specifically cites the political left as the primary motivators of the executive order, but the order itself is applied equally, and promises a 10 year prison sentence for violations, and denial of federal funds for law enforcement to communities which do not adequately protect federal buildings and monuments, that is, defunding police.

The desire of the Congress to protect Federal property is clearly reflected in section 1361 of title 18, United States Code, which authorizes a penalty of up to 10 years’ imprisonment for the willful injury of Federal property.

. . .

It is the policy of the United States to prosecute to the fullest extent permitted under Federal law, and as appropriate, any person or any entity that participates in efforts to incite violence or other illegal activity in connection with the riots and acts of vandalism described in section 1 of this order.

Trump may be considered guilty of violating his own executive order.

. . .

It is the policy of the United States, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to withhold Federal support tied to public spaces from State and local governments that have failed to protect public monuments, memorials, and statues from destruction or vandalism.

. . .

It is the policy of the United States, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to withhold Federal support from State and local law enforcement agencies that have failed to protect public monuments, memorials, and statues from destruction or vandalism.  Unwillingness to enforce State and local laws in the face of attacks on our history, whether because of sympathy for the extremists behind this violence or some other improper reason, casts doubt on the management of these law enforcement agencies.  These law enforcement agencies are not appropriate candidates for limited Federal funds that support State and local police.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  815
Joined  19-06-2020

11 January 2021 14:31

Referencing a thread about vaccines and RFID chips…

This is why being scared of a vaccine conspiracy to implant RFID chips is stupid.  People are already downloading and posting the data to track them.  Even the people who make a big deal of being desperately scared of tracking conspiracies.  The infrastructure to track your movements is already in your pocket, you’re recharging it at night, and you are paying a subscription fee for the privilege of carrying your tracking device.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10451
Joined  20-10-2006

12 January 2021 02:05

This reminds me of the advice given to me by a manager when I was given my first email account in 1996.  He said not to send anything I would not want to see posted on a billboard next to the San Francisco Bay Bridge.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3238
Joined  19-01-2015

12 January 2021 04:34

It is fascinating how utterly depended the radical Right has made itself on the very companies they rally day-in day-out against.