Use the 14th Amendment to remove insurrectionist legislators

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10451
Joined  20-10-2006

11 January 2021 22:48

Apparently there is talk of using the 14th Amendment, Section 3 to expel members of Congress who had a part in the capitol riots.

SECTION 3
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

This could put a lot of Republicans in hot water.  Notice that the amendment does not specify how a person is to be removed from office, so what is the process?  Anyone?

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  815
Joined  19-06-2020

11 January 2021 23:14
Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3238
Joined  19-01-2015

11 January 2021 23:20

Pelosi could not do more to heal the GOP than to kick out its most toxic elements.

But I am quite certain it won’t happen.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

11 January 2021 23:29

Twissel - 11 January 2021 11:20 PM

But I am quite certain it won’t happen.

I agree, but let’s use it to make them sweat or dig their hole deeper so it is easier to kick them out.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3238
Joined  19-01-2015

11 January 2021 23:56

the traitors are facing something much worse than losing their seat: they are losing their donors.

Politically, they are finished.

I guess the Private Sector is more efficient than the government wink

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

12 January 2021 13:33

I found the process to expel a member of Congress in the Constitution.  Article 1, Sec. 5:

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.

Republicans will forgive themselves, so it will be up to the voters.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1713
Joined  01-11-2014

12 January 2021 14:50

I think we need to use whatever means necessary to get rid of these seditious Republicans.

Lately there is a self-serving cry that holding them accountable for their actions is “divisive,” and these hypocrites are now bleating for “unity.”

There’s an opinion piece in today’s the New York Times by Jamelle Bouie. I think he is on the mark:

There is no way past this crisis — and yes, we are living through a crisis — except through it. The best way to push forward is as aggressively as possible. Anything less sends the signal that this moment isn’t as urgent as it actually is. And as we move closer to consequences for those responsible, we should continue to ignore the cries that accountability is “divisive.” Not because they’re false, but because they’re true.

Accountability is divisive. That’s the point. If there is a faction of the Republican Party that sees democracy itself as a threat to its power and influence, then it has to be cut off from the body politic. It needs to be divided from the rest of us, lest it threaten the integrity of the American republic more than it already has. Marginalizing that faction — casting Trump and Trumpism into the ash heap of history — will be divisive, but it is the only choice we have.

https://tinyurl.com/yy96dy6x

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  815
Joined  19-06-2020

12 January 2021 15:38

The idea of substitutional atonement seems poisonously relevant.  These politicians think that others should pay for their sins, and so they aren’t required to show contrition.