Olbermann has some ideas…
https://youtu.be/PanJWRqOmJo

[ Edited: 12 January 2021 19:15 by mapadofu]

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8267
Joined  15-02-2007

12 January 2021 20:05

‘Healing and Unity’s is the language of continued bad behaviour.  If there are no consequences for bad actions, then there is no reason to change those bad behaviours.  Asking for healing and unity without enforcing those consequences just leads to more bad actions in the future.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3311
Joined  19-01-2015

12 January 2021 23:36

just like Trump and golfing, Republicans are asking for a mulligan after failing to violently overthrow the duly elected government.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5562
Joined  28-05-2009

13 January 2021 02:33

Jefe - 12 January 2021 08:05 PM

‘Healing and Unity’s is the language of continued bad behaviour.  If there are no consequences for bad actions, then there is no reason to change those bad behaviours.  Asking for healing and unity without enforcing those consequences just leads to more bad actions in the future.

Yep. The tactic of every wife beater the morning after who suggests that calling the police or child protective services or filing divorce would be ‘breaking up the family’.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10772
Joined  20-10-2006

13 January 2021 08:10

The advantage of healing is clear for Republicans, as Brick noted.  What is the advantage of healing for the Democrats?

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5756
Joined  05-04-2006

13 January 2021 08:36

Brick Bungalow - 13 January 2021 02:33 AM

Yep. The tactic of every wife beater the morning after who suggests that calling the police or child protective services or filing divorce would be ‘breaking up the family’.

It’s been noted by many that a lot of the language Trump and his supporters have been using for years mirrors the way domestic abusers talk.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3311
Joined  19-01-2015

13 January 2021 10:16

Brick Bungalow - 13 January 2021 02:33 AM

eeeexactly.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Joined  28-05-2009

13 January 2021 10:32

Skipshot - 13 January 2021 08:10 AM

The advantage of healing is clear for Republicans, as Brick noted.  What is the advantage of healing for the Democrats?

I can only speculate but I think any official who goes on record as defying Trump becomes the target of his violent fanatics. As we’ve already seen over the course of the last couple years. I feel like a lot of Senior members of congress have a comfort zone with low level rivalry and acrimony. They like to grandstand about the crimes of the other and they like have an abstraction upon which to blame every failure. They don’t want actual, live confrontation though. They don’t want the kind of instability that comes from really punishing wrong doing at that level. If the rule of law were truly tested in the Senate chamber almost no one one would be unscathed.

They don’t want ‘healing’ per se. They just want to avoid the kind of chaos that indiscriminately threatens all careers and all income streams.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22633
Joined  11-03-2007

13 January 2021 10:44

The GOP has put a bullet in the side of democracy. You want to remove the bullet to prevent further damage.  You don’t want the bullet to stay in the body and get “healed” over. It could cause infection or worse. We have to deal with the problem that a large part of the population has not been able to distinguish between truth and lies. It’s hard to come out of a cult - I had to do it once.  You don’t want to admit that you were deceived. It takes awhile for the truth to seep in, to start making changes in your brain structure. Once the power that covered the lie - the Trump administration and all the media who supported it - is removed, then the truth surgeons have done their job.  Then a steady treatment of truth antibiotics over a few years can start to make some difference.  After that we can talk about healing.

Biden will be able to do some deals with some Republicans to get some “bipartisan” legislation, but he won’t be able to heal and unify the country until a significant number of citizens start realizing they were duped, they were wrong. That’s going to take some time.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  1262
Joined  20-07-2017

13 January 2021 10:51

I guess no one watched the video.  The ideas for healing and unity were things like

- Republicans sponsoring the bill for impeachment
- Trump going on TV and telling his supporters that he has been lying to them

etc. not the bullshit the Republicans are talking about

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1927
Joined  01-11-2014

13 January 2021 11:41

Olbermann sums it up forcefully and to the point.

Now is not the time for unity. Now is the time for accountability. Now is the time to uproot Trumpism.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8814
Joined  22-02-2014

16 January 2021 19:31

mapadofu - 12 January 2021 07:08 PM

Olbermann has some ideas…
https://youtu.be/PanJWRqOmJo

I miss me some Keith when he’s all riled up!  thx

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Joined  28-05-2009

17 January 2021 13:09

mapadofu - 13 January 2021 10:51 AM

I guess no one watched the video.  The ideas for healing and unity were things like

- Republicans sponsoring the bill for impeachment
- Trump going on TV and telling his supporters that he has been lying to them

etc. not the bullshit the Republicans are talking about

I did. Romney has made similar statements.